PDA

View Full Version : Computer & Related Equipment Wolverine MVP storage device

mckennma
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Wolverine MVP 60GB storage device
web site: www.wolverinedata.com (http://www.wolverinedata.com)

The attached picture compares the size against my Olympus E-500 DSLR.

60GB hard drive = 55.6 GB real storage or about 27 x 2GB CF full downloads

Color: Ferrari Red, screams "Steal me". They are coming out with black or silver.

Size: Smaller than Hyperdrive.
Portable, compact size: 5.04"x 3.01"x1.2" (LxWxH)
Weight 10oz

Fits nice in camera bag and handles good, when you are walking around.

Storage speed: slower than expected. I average 5.45 MB/s with Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF. I can get almost 2x (10.55) on my Hyperdrive with Seagate Momentus 5400.3 hard drive. Downloading a full 2GB CF takes about 7 minutes. You will want a second media to continue shooting while you wait for it to upload. You can erase the media when done uploading. Just make sure you choose the media and not the hard drive for deletion.

USB 2 port is not bad for uploading from device to your computer. You will want to plug it in for the transfer.

Battery life: decent. I have yet drained it in one day of shooting. Battery is internal and can be replaced. Charging is a few hours

LCD display: Can show both Olympus E-500 RAW and JPG pictures on LCD. Quality is not great but acceptable.

Tech support by e-mail: Slow, not that helpful.

9/26/06:
I took the device to Europe on vacation. The error detection feature on uploading media detected problems with my Sandisk 2GB Extreme III CF and would not upload the pictures that the Hyperdrive did. The pictures turned out to be corrupted from the bad CF media. I tried formatting the CF media and running error checking. It was a bad CF. I called Sandisk yesterday for RMA. It may not be the fastest device but the added error detection feature helped me to get non-corrupted pictures.