PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be a member

nnickol
07-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Hello to all the members.

Now this is the hard part. My tendency is towards the visual (hence my love of photography) and not the written word so putting "me" into words will be a challenge.

I'm a wireless network designer from Toronto Canada who wishes there were more photo ops in my line of work but will settle for for getting away from business every so often to play with my camera.

I currently own the E-500 with the 14-45mm and 40-150mm kit lenses and am sooooo anxiously awaiting the release of the Sigma 50-500mm tele-zoom. My first SLR was a Minolta XG-1 (which I still have) and later a Canon EOS. All just just novice gear but my wish list is much more impressive then my wallet.

Anyway I'm glad to be a part of the site, I'm looking forward to sharing in everyone's knowledge and experience and just maybe add a little of my own. I will post photos often so please feel free to comment and make suggestions because I'm anxious for everyone's opinions and becoming a better photographer.

Niko

AnnF
07-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Welcome, Niko. Look forward to seeing some more photos.
My ancestors came from Canada (Fournier/Poisson).

Ann

James Pilcher
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Hello to all the members.

Now this is the hard part. My tendency is towards the visual (hence my love of photography) and not the written word so putting "me" into words will be a challenge.

I'm a wireless network designer from Toronto Canada who wishes there were more photo ops in my line of work but will settle for for getting away from business every so often to play with my camera.

I currently own the E-500 with the 14-45mm and 40-150mm kit lenses and am sooooo anxiously awaiting the release of the Sigma 50-500mm tele-zoom. My first SLR was a Minolta XG-1 (which I still have) and later a Canon EOS. All just just novice gear but my wish list is much more impressive then my wallet.

Anyway I'm glad to be a part of the site, I'm looking forward to sharing in everyone's knowledge and experience and just maybe add a little of my own. I will post photos often so please feel free to comment and make suggestions because I'm anxious for everyone's opinions and becoming a better photographer.

Niko

Welcome to the forum. I believe there are several forum members from your town. Photography must be popular in Toronto!

Forget the Bigma. :D The Olympus 50-200mm is a fabulous lens. I have other lenses I can recommend too if you want me to wreck your wallet!

nnickol
07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi James. Thanks for the welcome. Being new to the forum I don't know where people are from but I can imagine many many photographers being in my area. I envy you though being in Colorado as I love to ski and mountain bike. I have been to your neck of the woods a couple of times for both those activities and will return there often in the future.

I'll take any recommendations on lenses that I can get. I really want to get something I can use specifically for sporting events. Football games, auto racing etc. Will the 50-200mm give me significantly more than my 40-150mm? And yes please by all means suggest some lenses for me.

Niko

RFMan
07-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Hello! Glad to see a fellow Canadian and wireless guy! I'm a Wireless Systems Research Engineer with a background in RF design.

Like you, I started with a E-500 with the two kit lenses. If you're looking for a lens to complement what you already have and are interested in Macro photography, the 35mm Macro is a great lens for under 300$CAN. Very sharp and you can get amazing closeups with it.

the next lens I plan on buying is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, as soon as it actually becomes available. I could really use such a fast lens.

Welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Luc

llpoolej
07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome!!!

The 50-200 will give you more light, sharpness and reach. I like the 40-150, but, it doesnt' compare to the 50-200. It stays on the camera most of the time