PDA

View Full Version : Digital Lenses Zuiko Digital (Olympus) EC14 1.4 teleconverter

craig
07-28-2006, 11:26 AM
The EC14 increases focal length on the 4/3 system by 1.4x so for example the 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 lens becomes a 70-280mm f 4.0-5.0 lens.
Or a 150mm lens becomes a 210mm lens.

Its lens construction consists of 6 elements in 5 groups.
Dimensions are 2.7"D x .9"L
Weight 6.0 oz.
With this add on you loose 1 stop of light.
F 2.0 becomes F2.8
F 2.8 becomes F4
F 3.5 becomes F5

For more info see the Olympus website here. (http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_EC14.asp)

Support this site by purchasing below:
<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=fourthirdspho-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B00014K3V6&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000ff&bc1=000000&bg1=ffffff&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Past polls and user opinions:
Up till 10/02/2005
From 10/02/05 - 07/28/06
(Click on images for bigger picture)
Other Reviews on the Web:
Biofos.com (http://www.biofos.com/esystem/ec14test.html)
Ozray's short review (http://www.australianimage.com.au/reviews/ec-14.htm)

tspore
07-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Other user comments:
manmachine:

Pros: well built, sharp images with extremly sharp lenses
Cons: relatively high price, not compatible with extension tube
Price: used, 80000HUF ~ $400USD
Other: I haven't ZUIKO DIGITAL 300/2.8 or 150/2 HI-END lenses, but the test photos with EC-14 are great. I think, the ED 50-200 (and other zoom lenses) and EC-14 is not the perfect coupling, but photos with my ZUIKO DIGITAL 50/2 Macro and EC-14 are very sharp.

Grizzly:

This is probably a dumb question, but does the EC14 work with the standard EV-500 kit lens' ?
Thanks
Grizzly
Tspore:

According to the olympus website, with the 14-45 & 40-150mm it is MF (Manual Focus) only.
But I have no experience with these lenses, you would probably want to ask in the forum, for more answers.
lonewolf:

I have used the 40-150mm with the EC14 1.4x Teleconverter Lens and the auto focus worked. Haven't tried it with the 14-45 yet. I agree with tony though: "If you have a cheaper lens, you may not be able to use auto focus, because it is to dark".

Orthogent:

Am I right in this assumption,anyone:

1. The EC-14 tele extender was not designed for lenses with larger aperture than f 2.8
2. the EC-14 can be used with the 50mm f 2.0, but the 1 stop loss in that lens will be essentially a two stop loss
3. when the EC-14 is used with the 50mm f 2.0 the maximum viewing aperture will be the same as if you had a f 3.5 lens on the E-1?
4. OR,maybe the viewing will be like f 2.8 but the taking aperture can not be f 2.8 because of the physical loss of a stop down from f 2.8 parameter of this tele extender.
Is for me a puzzlement still. I have used the Canon extender,so am used to no limit except that Canon made several versions of their devices..FL related...
I read and reread this in the brochure and followed some dpreview threads, and then I think I have it cold and then read something contrary.
A real life question, as I am still toying with putting this item on my list,even though I would be smarter to hang in for a 100 mm lens that is (?) still on the roadmap...
Any definitive replies welcome.. aloha, Gerry
Somewhere I read that Olympus had to sacrifice the f stop thing above for maximum quality...or so I recall..GS
Mike Smith UK:

Generally Autofocus systems struggle when effective F stop is greater than F5.6, but the Canon high end cameras can AF at F8 on the single central sensor only. Anything greater than F5.6 is usually too dark for the AF sensors to delineate contrast elements to achieve AF
So using a 2x teleconverter (TC) the lenses have to be F2.8 or faster and using a 1.4 TC lenses have to be F4 or faster to get to the magic F5.6 effective aperture.
I should imagine the Oly TC has been optomised for the pro series lenses, so in a way they have been designed to work on the F2.8 and faster lenses, but that does not mean they will not work on lenses up to F4.
Mounting a TC on a lens reduces the light by the magnification factor, so a 1.4tTc magnifies focul length and aperture by 1.4 times and effectively loses 1 "F stop" of light, the viewfinder goes "1 F stop" darker, so yes an F2 lens appears like an F3.5 lens through the viewfinder. Correspondingly a 2xTC loses 2 full stops of light and makes a F2 lens look like an F4 lens or a F5.6 lens look like an F11 lens through the viewfinder.
When a lens changes aperture through the zoom range you can find AF works at the wide angle end of the zoom but will either hunt badly or give up totally at the full tele end. So the 14-45 lens is F3.5 to F5.6, it will work perfectly at the wide end (under F4) but as approaches F5.6 as you zoom out AF functionality will reduce or give up and the lens will hunt for focus. - effective aperture with the 1.4TC becomes F5.6 to F8
Mike
Orthogent:

I have to go back to my high school math, and refresh my brain onl the f stop sequence, I guess I had been thinking with 1.4 TC there is a single stop loss as you say,which would mean 2 goes to 2.8 (isnt that the sequence?) ...haven't exercised my brain for a while on the stops/ratio of FL over diameter of optic..I would have thought a f 2 with loss of one stop would be f 2.8 all this time and that was my confusion and maybe stillis. Could I be that forgetful. yeah..but thanks for trying. The rest of your points I guess I understand, Mike.
I read something somewhere that said the teleconverter was not designed to use the maximum aperture larger than f 2.8. so on a 50mm F2.0 what happens,is what I am puzzling over.I ill look for the reference. That was the wellspring of my question, and I have awkwardly written it I know.
Thanks anyway---I know about the minimum stop for light to use the phase detection business. It is the maximum aperture and I am sure that there are limits on the light path etc,jebir, that a well corrected add on can work with,or at least it is plausible that there might be a limit,putting a brake on some lenses in the lineup...if that makes sense. Anway, elsewhere in the news...
Gerry
carman:

Still don't understand your confusion. 1.4 times f2 is f2.8. This is true for all apertures and all lenses. Autofocus limitations are separate. Mechanical when the prime lens does not make an electronic link or physical when not enough light passes through to make it work.
Orthogent:

I have to agree. Meaning you don't understand my question. I will try to rephrase one more time. The Olympus web site advertises this converter as working with lenses up to a maximum aperture of f 2.8. If that is literally true, then an F 2.0 lens will only work with the converter up to the f 2.8 level,and then one would be looking at a one stop loss from 2.8 to 3.5. I think that is the best I can do with words and no drawings, and I think I saw this validated sometime ago on drpreview,but I can't seem to find it again. They said the converter needs a redesign for the fast new Oly glass. OTOH, I could be off base and hope I am. I am dumb but not totally dumb. A teleconverter could be designed so that its parameters are limited to certian lenses in a company's range, such as the 14-54, but will not work at full aperture with the fast F2 zooms. Not a biggie, I would buy the EC-14 regardless. And I will one of these days. Don't lose any sleep on this one...Gerry
jebir:

Hi Gerry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthogent
Am I right in this assumption,anyone:
- 1/The EC-14 tele extender was not designed for lenses with larger aperture than f 2.8
I don't think the EC-14 was designed for any particular aperture. It is the AF-system that is designed to not work at apertures smaller than f/5.6 but we can't fault the teleconverter for that.

Quote:
- 2/ the EC-14 can be used with the 50mm f 2.0, but the 1 stop loss in that lens will be essentially a two stop loss
No, why would it loose two stops? It is a 1.4x converter so it should loose 1 stop on all lenses.

Quote:
-3/ when the EC-14 is used with the 50mm f 2.0 the maximum viewing aperture will be the same as if you had a f 3.5 lens on the E-1?
No, f/2.8 would be the viewing and maximum aperture.

Quote:
-4/ OR,maybe the viewing will be like f 2.8 but the taking aperture can not be f 2.8 because of the physical loss of a stop down from f 2.8 parameter of this tele extender.
What physical loss? The physical loss of light is already taken into account in the loss from f/2.0 to f/2.8.

Quote:
Is for me a puzzlement still. I have used the Canon extender,so am used to no limit except that Canon made several versions of their devices..FL related...
There is no differnce between a Canon 1.4x and the ZD EC-14 converters.
It seems to me that you are confused and try to count the loss of light twice when you think of this. There are (at least) either of two ways of thinking about this but you must not mix the two lines of thoughts because they are just different views of the same thing:
1) Thinking physics of light:
The teleconverter projects the image, that the lens normally would have projected to the sensor, onto an area that now is two times larger than the sensor area. Thus, the sensor now receives half as much light with the teleconverter which corresponds to one stop.
OR
2) Thinking photographic lenses:
The teleconverter extends the focal length by 1.4x but the front lens diameter is still the same. Since the smallest f-number of a lens is the focal length divided by the front lens diameter, the f-number when using a 1.4x teleconverter will be multiplied by 1.4. So f/2.0 becomes f/2.8, f/2.8 becomes f/4.0, etc.

There is no more to it than this really.

Cheers, Jens.

wayne
11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
The EC14 works well as a teleconverter under normal outdoor lighting (heavy overcast to clear skies) with all three lenses I use on a normal basis. The AF function works with the 14-54, 14-45, and 40-150 under these conditions. Inside, the 14-54 and 40-150 will auto focus with bright interior lighting. The 14-45 has limited use as the f5.6 at 45 is marginal under normal room lighting.

Since I normally use the 14-54 and 40-150, the EC14 is perfect for me. The only downside is the price, which I find a little high for even a quality teleconverter.