PDA

View Full Version : Digital Lenses Sigma 30mm 1.4mm lens

tspore
07-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Sigma has recently announced many lenses we will see when they are released.
Specifications:
Lens Construction: 7 Elements in 7 Groups
number of Diaphragm Blades: 8
Minimum Aperture: F16
Minimum Focusing Distance: 15.7 Inches
Maximum Magnification 1:10.4
Filter Size: 62mm
Lens Hood: DiaPetal Hood
Dimensions 2.97x 2.3"
Weight 15.2 oz.

Until we get the review up order now!
<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=fourthirdspho-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000FBFXY2&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000ff&bc1=000000&bg1=ffffff&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Other Reviews:
Biofos' review (http://www.biofos.com/esystem/s_30tst.html)
Members first thoughts thread (http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8602)

roger h
11-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Description: Sigma 30mm 1.4mm lens

Describe the lens: The lens finish is more matte than the Olympus standard finish. The hood is the same matte finish as the lens body. The lens is as sharp as I have need for, focuses fast, and so far, seems to render really nice images wide-open. The focus ring allows for fine-focus while still in auto-focus mode unlike some of the other Sigma lenses. I've always had f/1.4 "normal" lenses on 35mm film equipment because there are just some situations in which a flash isn't appropriate and f/2.8 just isn't enough aperture. The f/1.4 aperture allows for hand-held non-IS shooting in much lower light than the available Oly lenses. I really like this lens!

Include the price you paid and where you bought it: I bought the lens shipped from Amazon for $422

Below is an image of a wine bottle I shot this morning hand-held wide open at 1/25th... WB @ 3k. I believe it is acceptably sharp and well rendered.

The second image is of a photo studio in Cedar Rapids IA shot hand-held also. It probably would have benefitted from a tripod, but I wouldn't have been able to make it with any other lens without a tripod.

Roger

Hacker
11-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I have never owned a Sigma since my Nikon F3 and Leica R4 film days. This is my first Sigma and I have to say, my perception has changed dramatically.

Build quality is extremely good, though sweaty fingers tend to leave some marks on the hood quite easily. The lens focuses well: silent and fast. These two properties make it more ideal than the 50mm which is meant more for macro work and hunts too easily. As an example, sometimes I'm not even sure that the camera has already locked on on the subject at more distant objects because it gets this part of the job done very well.

Image quality is better than the 14-54mm. At its widest, it is sharp at the edges (better than the N/C variants probably due to the smaller 4/3 sensor). Contrast is excellent while the colors tend to be slightly warmer than the 50mm. Flare is exceptionally well controlled. Bokeh is pleasant to the eye.

This lens does exhibit barrel distortion (more pronounced than the 14-54 at 14mm), and I use PTLens as part of my work flow.

Highly recommended for low-light work and definitely well worth its price.

Oh yes, I paid SGD $710 for the lens.

PeteM01
01-03-2007, 06:56 AM
I bought the 30mm f1.4 two months ago, specifically for use in poorly lit rooms.

Build quality is excellent; it feels solid and has a nicely tactile finish. The lens hood attachment does not feel as secure as a Zuiko, though.

Image quality is acceptable wide open and I have taken some great shots in situations where a flash would normally be required to get a reasonable shutter speed with the 14-54. Focussing is very accurate although far from silent. Being still quite new to the photography game, I have had to practice to get used to the fixed FoV and the narrow DoF wide open but that is all part of the fun of amateur photography!

I paid 280 in the UK, and was happy with the value for money that this lens represents. Ideally, something a bit wider would be of more use to me.

Kirasir
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I have recieved the lens from B&H just before the New Year. Before I had not the best experience with Sigma, but this lens changed my oppinion. First of all, it's very well buil, has good and pleasant finis. The hood fits its place with a small click, informing, that it's fixed on the place. Unpleasant moment - if You will place the cap when the hood is on, You cannot take it off without taking off the hood.
The lens is ruther quite, but not silent, and HSM focusing system produce some noise and clicks in the moment, when the focus is catched. Speed of focusing is very high, you hear "beep" confirming,that focus is catched, almost in the moment you press the button. Image quality is high, Lens is sharp even at opened aperture. Usually is considered, that cameras of 4/3 system have problems due to very big DOF. With Sigma 30 at opened aperture You have to be careful - DOF is very, very narrow! Two shots to illustrate this:

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/9/c/b/f20f542e9db5af3d3530d2b82afe0bc9.jpg

Only the forehead of the kitten is sharp. On the next shot You see, that DOF is eqal th half of deameter of cofee cup.

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/8/5/5/4da94fa8db1e08710ee2a43f45758558.jpg

Lens is good for portraits and have pleasant bokeh. Also it produce good, natural warm colours

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/8/2/8/2b3a26b1783b7d97ae7178a263161828.jpg

I had to illustrate the article about US army P-38 can openers, and used for it mainly this lens. Some shots, that will be published in the next issue of "Master-Ruzhje" ("Gun Master") magazine:

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/5/b/4/5a234ae1c38f95e4da2caee6c011e4b5.jpg

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/5/1/a/748bbe14b41ef56ee87ddb2d3b6d3a15.jpg

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/f/c/d/4e44fb90dd4b590d79558371e35efdcf.jpg

So I consider that it's worth money I have payed for it and can strongly recommend it both to amateur photographers and to professionals.

de2000
04-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I wanted this lens so badly and waited 3 months for it, but it was, unfortunately, a disappointment.

I guess I am not as lucky as the other owners of this lens. Mine back-focused consistently with both of my E-1 cameras. Called Sigma support about this. They suggested that this happened quite often and wanted me to send my E-1 and the lens to them to calibrate the lens against my E-1. Well, I was already very frustrated with the lens not working properly. And then they wanted me to send my E-1 and the lens to them at my expense (I pay shipping from me to them, they pay return shipping). To me, after spending $400 on a lens, if it did not work, they should pay for the shipping.

I returned it to the vendor where I bought it from. So I lost about $20 from this deal, but lesson learned.

Pro - Large aperture and not too much zoom (good for all purpose indoor shots).

Con - Cheaper construction than Zuiko midgrade lenses. No weatherproofing. And of course, it did not work on TWO E-1's.

mfratt
05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
I've only had this lens for a few days, so this is my "first impressions" review. I'll post a more in-depth one down the road.

Pros: Very sharp, nice bokeh, lens looks and feels solid - great build quality, nice weight/size and balances nice with the E-500, HSM is quiet and accurate and doesn't hunt in most cases. Oh yea, and its half the price of the Leica.

Cons: In very dim light, it will hunt a bit (not as bad as the kit lenses though). It can be tough to get a good focus lock on a moving subject at f1.4 because the dof is so narrow.

Price paid: $429 @ B&H

Other thoughts: I bought this lens as my main walking-around lens. A friend of mine uses a Canon 50mm f1.4 on his 20D as his main lens, and I liked the results he's had, so I figured I'd go the same route for my E-500. As a relatively novice photographer, I figured that having a prime lens would force me to put more effort into composition and what not. Coming off the kit lenses, I was blown back by the build quality of the Sigma from the moment I picked it up out of the box, and my impressions only improved once I screwed it onto the camera and began taking pictures.

baal
09-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Bought it used a few months ago and I am very happy with it.

Pro: good IQ, lense hood fixed on the exterior part of the lense, bright, price . Very sharp on the center, nearly on par with zuiko 50 at 4,5

Cons: watch out for the rain, not sealed lense . No back focus but unprecise, noisy as well

Some exemples here:http://www.pbase.com/hrodez/image/82188945

JeffDM
02-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Some exemples here:http://www.pbase.com/hrodez/image/82188945

I get a notice that it's password protected.

olyinaz
02-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I had to illustrate the article about US army P-38 can openers, and used for it mainly this lens. Some shots, that will be published in the next issue of "Master-Ruzhje" ("Gun Master") magazine:

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/5/b/4/5a234ae1c38f95e4da2caee6c011e4b5.jpg

http://photos.streamphoto.ru/5/1/a/748bbe14b41ef56ee87ddb2d3b6d3a15.jpg.

Ah now that takes me back to the days of C-Rations and hexamine tablets! I see that you've mastered the construction of a field expedient cook stove as well. :smile:

By the way, we used to call the large can opener a P-51.

Nice pix!

Best,
Oly - Cold War paratrooper

C. Pritchett
05-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Just recieved my copy, so far I like it. Seems very sharp when stopped down to 5.6-8 and seems made well. Focus is a bit noisy as others have stated but not that bad. I does seem to hunt though, even with plenty of light. I only paid $270 as mine had a piece of lint inside that affects nothing.

Pros: SHARP! Seems well made, fast, price.

Cons: Noisy, hunts.

Alphonse
06-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Hi there, first time in this forum. I bought it for SGD $630 for around 2 weeks ago and this lens works great with my E-510! Great Bokeh and with the IS mode, this fast aperture lens will definitely work best in low light.

Here's the example for f16

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/aliponsis/_6050753.jpg

and f1.4

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/aliponsis/_6050756.jpg

isn't it great?

rek
07-02-2008, 12:14 AM
hallo, i'm new in this forum.
i have e510 and i want to buy singel focal lenght. which one is better zuiko digital 25mm f2.8 or sigma 30mm f1.4 ?
many person think that we better buy from olympus product which is 25mm

-thx

astcell
07-02-2008, 12:56 AM
2.8 or 1.4, those are two different animals.

Alphonse
07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
hallo, i'm new in this forum.
i have e510 and i want to buy singel focal lenght. which one is better zuiko digital 25mm f2.8 or sigma 30mm f1.4 ?
many person think that we better buy from olympus product which is 25mm

-thx

i think i'm the Sigma supporter here, of course the zuiko 25mm wins on it's light weight and it's shape. However, f1.4! there is not a lot of lens out there with this capability so the low light situation will kill you if you want to take pictures without tripod. Moreover even though the IS mode helps but if you have that f1.4 lens, you can take with low ISO(meaning low noise on picture) with fast shutter speed. f1.4 also give great bokeh if you are taking portrait pictures so i still go for sigma!

thx1138
07-02-2008, 08:23 AM
f1.4 is off course a joy for low light, more bokeh and extreme dof. But these can also work against you. When you are even slightly off focus, at f1.4 the results can be disappointing.

Actually the Sigma f1.4 performs better at f2, so you would find yourself trying to compensate for that stop in light by moving up the ISO more often then you think would be needed with such a large diameter lens.

But at its price, I would NOT leave in the shops for sure.

Burkey
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
"Soft Focus" Based On Photographer Movement with Sigma 30/1.4<o></o>
After recently doing three environmental portrait sessions with this lens I began noticing some softness in the image. After looking at the images at around 200% in Bibble what I found was movement during the shot spoiling the image sharpness. Although this may just be me, I’ve found that if I make exposures with shutter speed settings of at least 1/80<sup>th</sup> of a second when using this lens the movement problem is no longer there.<o></o>
I should point out that I'm using an E-420 with no IS.<o></o>
I’ve always favored aperture priority for DoF compression but am now finding shutter speed priority much safer with very sharp images resulting. Depth of Field compression is still occurring based on subject and soft box placement.<o></o>
I post this as a consideration for those new to the 30/1.4 and especially when used without the availability of IS in low light situations. Good luck. :D<o></o>
. . . Burkey<o></o>

Michael Meissner
07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
"Soft Focus" Based On Photographer Movement with Sigma 30/1.4<o></o>
After recently doing three environmental portrait sessions with this lens I began noticing some softness in the image. After looking at the images at around 200% in Bibble what I found was movement during the shot spoiling the image sharpness. Although this may just be me, I’ve found that if I make exposures with shutter speed settings of at least 1/80<sup>th</sup> of a second when using this lens the movement problem is no longer there.<o></o>
I should point out that I'm using an E-420 with no IS.
That is consistent with the usual rule of thumb that you need at least 1/(35mm equivalent focal length) to avoid camera shake. On a 4/3rds system, that would be 1/60, but it depends on how steady you are. I find in general, I can stabilize a heavier system easier than a lighter system, so maybe the E-410 is too light, and you need a little bit extra.

Here is a site that lists several different ways to cope when you don't have a tripod:
http://www.nicholsonprints.com/Articles/tripodsubstitution.htm
<o></o>
Note even if you solve the camera shake (say with a tripod), you also have to worry about subject movement. I tend to think 1/30 is often too slow, and that you should think about 1/60 or so.

I’ve always favored aperture priority for DoF compression but am now finding shutter speed priority much safer with very sharp images resulting. Depth of Field compression is still occurring based on subject and soft box placement.<o></o>
I post this as a consideration for those new to the 30/1.4 and especially when used without the availability of IS in low light situations. Good luck. :D<o></o>
. . . Burkey<o></o>
You always need to keep an eye out what shutter speed and aperture your camera is going to use. You could use Program Shift mode if you are shooting in program/auto mode. I tend not to like Ps mode because it is locking, and I need to remember to unset it after using it.
:nerd:

Burkey
07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Some well said follow-up points, Michael. I remember having to learn the hard way with my first OM-1. I actually put a motor drive on the bottom of the camera to help stabilize it when shooting hand held.
I thought the girth of the 30/1.4 might be enough but the old adage you quoted regarding shutter speed selection proved very true.
On a related note I was extremely pleased how sharp the 30/1.4 is at around f2., (with a 1/80th shutter speed.) I made a couple of 13 X 19 prints this afternoon cropped just enough to make borderless prints and they were very good at both ISO 200 and 400.
The 420 is small and very light. (Its one of the reasons I bought it.) I certainly learned to take that into consideration over the last few days.
. . . Burkey

Bamamike
01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I've owned so far 5 Sigma Lenses and never had any problems with them. The first three I purchased for my Canon equipment, a 70-300mm (I gave it away as a gift, it worked fine), a 12-24mm (great lens on a 5D) and the 50mm 1.4.
After switching to Olympus (mostly weight and size, quality of kit lenses) I got the 70-200mm 2.8 and the 30mm 1.4. All of the Sigma lenses are working great, fast AF and no front or back focus. The non-existing weather sealing is no problem for me since my E-620 isn't sealed, too.