PDA

View Full Version : Digital Lenses Sigma 105mm Macro lens

tspore
07-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Sigma has recently announced a number of new lenses please pre order below and support our site. We will get as much info up as possible.

Specifications:
Lens Construction: 11 Elements in 10 Groups
number of Diaphragm Blades: 8
Minimum Aperture: F45
Minimum Focusing Distance: 12.3 Inches
Maximum Magnification 1:1
Filter Size: 58mm
Dimensions 2.9x 3.8"
Weight 16.1 oz.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=fourthirdspho-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000FBFXXS&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000ff&bc1=000000&bg1=ffffff&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

tealblue
10-09-2006, 02:39 PM
This lens is now IN STOCK at B&H.:cool:

nickjdavis
11-13-2006, 03:12 AM
just ordered this from Bristol Cameras here in the Uk.

should have it by the end of the week...as soon as i've learned how to get the best from it i'll post some images.

Nick

crcdiver
12-08-2006, 08:35 AM
One quick note on the 105. The directions remind you to also turn the camera to manual focus to avoid doing damage to the gears, they do not mention turning off the lens reset. I think there was only a little grinding, the lens will survive

cuxton
12-25-2006, 02:59 PM
How you getting on with the Sigma 105 Nick?
Dave.

nightboss
01-23-2007, 01:03 AM
One quick note on the 105. The directions remind you to also turn the camera to manual focus to avoid doing damage to the gears, they do not mention turning off the lens reset. I think there was only a little grinding, the lens will survive

one of these arrived for us (more for dianne) today ... as she won't be back until tomorrow night i opened it and tried it ... i had previously read your note and turned off autofocus and lens reset but actually, i haven't noticed that in the instructions (and i haven't looked really carefully as i don't expect to see much of this lens after di arrives home)

in talking to her by phone today she observed that she would be unlikely to use autofocus anyway but why should it be turned off?

added 27jan

the note by ccdriver is an important one but i misread in the sense that i thought it was saying that you shouldn't/couldn't use autofocus

what it the instructions say is that if you turn the lens to manual focus (by a switch on the lens) then you can do damage to the motor/gears in the lens by not turning the camera to manual focus as well

and obviously as ccdriver said turn of the lens reset as well

i will add a proper review based on dianne's comments today as well

regards david

nightboss
01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
pros: cheap to purchase .... light in weight .... greater focussing distance (over the 50mm macro) ... will also work well with teleconverter to make a 140mm f4 macro

cons: (these are not surprising for a lens of this cost) not as sharp zuiko lenses .... not weather sealed

bought from: bhphotovideo for $440usd including postage to australia
general: build quality appears similar to one of the kit lenses

other notes: cr kennedy (the sigma importer for australia) advised that they will not routinely bring in the macro lenses in olympus mount .... they were prepared for me to order one through my normal dealer (cr kennedy don't deal direct with the public) but stated that it would be a minimum of 45 days from when that order was passed on to them before it would arrive ... arrived inside seven days from bhphotovideo

olyinaz
04-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Of all my Four-Thirds compatible lenses this has become a favorite. The Sigma is sharp, reasonably compact and features an actual manual focus mode. Yes, the 50-200mm Zuiko covers this range and is just as sharp but this lens is much smaller and lighter than the Olympus lens and is, of course, a macro lens that focuses much closer than the Zuiko 50-200mm.

Despite being optimized for macro photography, this lens works quite well for general photography and has a bokeh that is a bit more pleasing than many of the admirably sharp Zuiko lenses. In macro operation the lens often gives a greater distance from the subject than the Zuiko 50mm macro lens does, but this lens is not (as far as I can tell) able to mount the Olympus ring flash for macro work so until Sigma wants to sell us a macro flash for Olympus DSLR cameras I'll use it strictly for outdoors and ambient light macro work.

The build quality of the lens is not up to the level of the better Zuiko lenses and it is not a weather sealed lens, but it is certainly of a higher quality than the Olympus kit lenses that normally ship with cameras like the E-500 and E-330 and it is better than the inexpensive Sigma zoom lenses that have been available for Olympus and other Four-Thirds applications for some time now. I would say that it has a nice feel to it both in heft and in operation.

The front element of this lens is remarkably deeply recessed into the lens barrel, so deeply in fact that I don't feel the need to use the supplied screw on sun shade (which is a poor design in my opinion) nor do I feel the need to use a clear filter in order to protect the front element (it would be difficult to bang the glass on anything given how far from the front of the lens it is). I view this as a money saver as well as a convenience, but that's a very subjective opinion I do admit.

Finally, the lens features a fully manual focus mode that works very well. Unlike the 'fly by wire' Olympus lenses that many are familiar with, this lens requires that you throw a switch on the side of the lens housing in order to disengage the auto-focus motors and then slide the barrel ring in order to engage the manual focusing. This is not terribly convenient but with practice one certainly can train themselves to operate the switch without taking one's eye from the viewfinder. It does give one the ability to view and focus with the camera off, however, and this is actually something I do take advantage of.

To sum it up, I did not expect great things from this lens given that it was my first Sigma lens purchase and some of the Sigma lenses in the Four-Thirds mount have been a disappointment, but I was pleasantly surprised by this lens. It is sharp at maximum aperture from edge to edge, it is moderately priced, it is an excellent macro lens, and it is a fine medium telephoto lens on top of it all. I can highly recommend this lens as a handy addition to any Four-Thirds DSLR camera kit, provided weather proofing is not required.

Best,
Oly

emmela
06-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Hello Oly,
I would like to know if you have tried this lens on the E3 already. And if so, what are your experiences?
Thanks
Maaike

Jeronymus
06-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Hi Maaike

I have been using this lens on my E3 ever since I bought the camera. I find it works well as a macro and as a medium telephoto. I have used it a lot in low light situations, at concerts etc, and have been very pleased with the results. I have also used the EC-20 T/C with it and it works well too. Recommended I would say.

emmela
06-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks, Jeronymus, that is very helpful.

Marius Muscalu
06-29-2008, 01:38 PM
this costs 620$ in Romania... :(

ghenton
06-23-2009, 12:50 AM
I finally put this lens on my camera, (I bought it last fall) I is a very good lens images are razor sharp as you would expect form a macro lens. The manual focus ring is large and very very smooth, with just the right amount of resistance. Focus was fast and quite, (compared to a kit lens) but would be nice to have HSM. The lens looks like a macro lens with the deep recess in the front. Very nice working distance as I found the Sigma 150mm macro a little long. Very reasonable price for a lens of this qaulity and features. My only real dislike is that the focus ring rotates.

The pros
image qaulity is excellent
the build is very good,
the lens is nice in size and weight
lovely bokeh
focal lenght gives a nice bit of working distance
fast at f2.8
lens feel is very very nice.

The Cons,
the focus ring rotates! have to keep fingers clear.(major)
The lense extends as you focus. (minor)

Gerry

GavinW
06-23-2009, 06:55 AM
its a great lens as you say. you can decouple the external focus ring by pulling it in or pushing it out (cant remember which). This disengages the focus ring so that it no longer moves. Just perform the opposite movement if you want to manual focus. Quite clever actually

jeremyha
06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I enjoy 105mm. It is a nice face/upper body portrait lens, gets you 10 or 20 feet away from your subject. Good blur and separation on background. I know nothing about macro, but the few shots I have macro'd have come out quite well and it is convenient to have it there.

It does not focus particularly fast. Also, especially on my E-510, I have to set it to focus with the center AF target ONLY, or else it misses. I missed a lot of shots before I figured this out. This lens would make a decent, economy, indoor sports lens for shooting your kids playing bball or something.

I also have the 70-300 Oly. I could have bought the 50-200 Oly for about the same cost as these two lenses together. For my purposes, I would have been better off going that route. Still, that is my fault not Sigma's. This lens is recommended.