PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Acratech Leveling Base

tspore
08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Weight 1/2 lbs
Holds over 25 lbs
Allows for 10 degrees of movement in any direction
Satin Black anodized finish
Fits all standard ballheads, and tripods.
Ball will not shift when tightened.
Size 1.7" tall.
Price $150.
Manufacture's site. (http://acratech.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=LB&Category_Code=Ballheads)

For a leveling base which weighs very little, this is the one I would pick hands down.
I really like this base.
See full article here. (http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=26)

OzRay
08-05-2006, 01:28 AM
Tony

Next time you visit Acratech, would you ask them why they don't make a camera plate that aligns the other way? All my lenses with a collar and foot, have the foot plate aligned with the lens barrel; having the camera plate at 90 degrees to these, makes it most awkward to change cameras on a tripod and often screws up the ball head controls. RRS does the same thing.

That's why I buy Novoflex plates, as all the plates face and mount the same way. It may appear top be a small thing, but change cameras often enough and you find it a right pain.

Cheers

Ray

Mike_Smith_UK
04-18-2008, 06:45 AM
I have just bought on of these and echo the review above. Of all the tripod leveling bases I have used this would now be my main recommendation.

For many years I have used to use a Gitzo 1321 ball leveling base on Gitzo 3 series CF tripod and whilst sturdy and quick to set up, my main gripe with all the ball levellers of this type is the protruding tightening grip/handle which prevents the tripod going flat to ground. The Acratech leveling base mounts on the Gitzo flat collar plate rather than replaces it (as with the G.1321 ball leveling base) and so now allows the tripod to be used flat to the ground again when the legs are extending outwards

Light well well engineered and with a good range of movement with built in bubble level it ticks all the boxes.

My main nature photography kit now consists of a E-zuiko 300mm f2.8 plus E-3 and 1.4 tc and I have no problems whatsoever using the Acratech levelling base with this weight of kit.

So if you frequently use a tripod on uneven ground a leveling base makes setting up for level panning very simple and quick, be it it for action photography or stitching landscape images, they are an invaluable gizmo.