PDA

View Full Version : Ole dogs learning new tricks

1bigdawg
08-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Howdy; Both my wife and I have been interested in photography for years but have never spent the money for more serious cameras. Our previous film cameras were Olympus IS1 with all the attachments and a Canon ELPH 370Z. Our first digital was a Canon Powershot S50 that I picked up cheap when I was working part-time at the Apple Store.

We were always both frustrated by the difficulty in manual shot setup with the S50. We are both into riding motorcycles and often take day trips and are presently planning a 10 day trip from Phoenix to Taos. We wanted to have a camera that would inspire us to take great photos. Our choice was an Olympus Evot E500 with the 14-45 & 45-150 lenses. We have only had it for a couple of day but now we know just how much we don't know about taking great photos. So we have books from the library, Joanna plans on taking some classes this spring (after her dreamweaver classes this fall) and just in general getting out a shooting photos. We also hope to learn lots of tips and trick from all of you and hopefully we will have things we can share also.

Our other hobbies as previously stated Motorcycling. Music in another interest, our iTunes music library just topped 9000 songs. Most of our music is world music, not much US music, lots for Africa, Cuba, South America, Asia. We also have 3 whippets (dogs) and if we can ever find time enjoy camping.

Here is a photo of Joanna with badger over looking San Luis Obispo taken with the ELPH and with a lot of clean up with Photoshop Elements. Glad we now have Photoshop CS2.

llpoolej
08-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Welcome! You will find a lot of whippet lovers here also. I have a brindle female, who hated the show ring. She loves being queen of the house. Windsprite has two whippets and you will see amazing action shots with them.

So, you have good taste in cameras and dogs ;)

Bill Huber
08-10-2006, 08:44 PM
I am new around here myself but I would like to say hi and welcome to the forum.
I am sure you can get just about all the info on the 500, from what I have see the 500 is a great camera.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your shots form the trip, should see some beautiful sites.

AnnF
08-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Welcome. You'll find lots of useful information here.

Ann