PDA

View Full Version : I suppose it's about time...

presspics
08-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Howdy folks!

Yep. I done switched over from Canon. Again.
I'm a working phojo over here in Halifax, Nova Scotia (That there'd be in Canada) and had an E-10 back in 01. I sold it into Canon digital 'cos I missed the perspective available from DSLRs that DZLRs can't replicate.
Anyway, yeah yeah, got a bunch of newspaper awards but I wanted a little better price/performance ratio and the E1 provides that.
I also wanted a solid rig what wasn't forcin' me to buy a new rig every single freakin' year!
Although my X-Mas gift from my son (he's 2) will be a 35 - 100 F2; I think the aperture makes up for my abhorrence of zoom lenses in general.
(My fave lens of all time is the Canon 200 2.8 L)
Nope. I ain't married; I'm livin in sin with my son's momma.
I don't know how to make these here fancy 'avatars' or I'd have a pic of my son from one of my 2 E1 rigs.
Oh!
Wish list. If'n I don't get the next pro E and/or super zoom for Christmas - I'm right real partial to that Sigma 150 2.8 Macro. I've got a friend with contacts in Japan who is scoping it out for me, but I think the Sigma prime 105 and 150 will be as sharp as my dearly departed 200 2.8 L (*sigh*).
If'n ya ain't figured out from the accent; I'm a westerner what done moved east.
(Accent aside. I also write news and feature copy for the Halifax Daily News 'cos it pays 2.5 times more than just shooting. Some of the shooters here think I'm a sell-out to the honourable trade of photojournalism; but at 45 years of age and with only two daily newsrooms in the area, I really don't think I'll get to work full-time as a shooter down here - unless I do weddings. Nope.)
Anyway, as I said, I've got the 2 E1s with grips, 50 - 200 2.8 - 3.5 (for sale). 14 - 54 2.8 - 3.5 and 50 F2. I also have a Peleng 8mm and Zenitar 16mm (I LOVE this lens on my Es. Nice, wide, 32mm prime is fan-freakin-tastic for phojo work) and the 4/s adapter for a Paragon 28 2.8 macro, Zuiko 50mm 1.8, Vivitar 200 3.5, Tamron SP BBAR MC 70 - 210 3.5(4) Macro, and a vivitar 35 - 100 2.8. Hey! I come from a land of film and I like these old, fast, clean classics - just like me!!

Cheers!

Bill

blueridgegirl
08-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi and welcome! I'm sure you will like it here. Lots of good people. Olympus may not have as many followers as Canon but the people here are really knowledgeable and friendly. :D

I was glad to read that you like the Peleng and the Zenitar, 2 lenses I've considered.

Nice to meet you!

AnnF
08-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Welcome Bill.

We also have a photo contest going on each month.

If you need help posting an avitar, any one of us can walk you through it.

Ann

Garry Frankel
08-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Say, how da wedder be down east bouyy ??

Now that is something you don't often see is some one from Republic of Western Canada heading the east coast !! You won't find anyone here look down their noses at anyone because they have to do many things to put food on the table. You should search out the posts of OzyRay, a weekend warrior for some sports mags in Oz. He just got the 90-250 to go with his 35-100 and is shooting strong.

Me, I stylize my self as an amature PJ, who tries to show of WinterPeg to the world.

Welcome to the site, and we all look forward to some keen posts.

benherrmann
08-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Here's a free small piece of software designed specifically to make avatars - it's great. It's called Avatar Resizer (real original name, huh). Takes all the guesswork out of doing an avatar. I downloaded it and I love it.

http://www.jql.co.uk/avatarsizer.htm

Good luck - and BTW, you gave out enough information about yourself that it leaves little to the imagination. Feels like your family.

presspics
08-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Thx for the support. Ha ha ha. Kinda funny when ya think about it; a support group for former NC addicts.

I will try that avatar sizer. Gee, maybe I can use it over on the Eastern Canadian News Photographers Association (www.ecnpa.com (http://www.ecnpa.com)) board. Actually, that's where I've posted my C gear and I'm down to 2 D2000s and a Sigma wide. (Wow! That s**t sure is popular! Ha ha ha ha. Been talkin' with a Newfoundland phojo about Oly 4/3 and the better service from the rep. I think he'd be lurking here, not quite ready to make that jump... Go for it dawg! I'll help ya sell your C stuff.)

I just PM'd Jonw about his E300 rig, if it's still available. Figure I'm going to start moving back (??) to an 8Mp backup rig. I did some advertising stuff with the E300 and a couple of 25w kickers in '05 that I've just pulled from my archives. Man! I love those lo-iso JPGs. But the 500 is sooooo tiny....

That's all 4 now. Today is daddy and Mason's day! Hooray!

Bill

presspics(at)gmail.com

Bill Gordon
08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Why Ben..I am surprised that you fell into the trap!!! He probably speaks English better than U do!! He invented the Avatar!! Haw, haw, he, he!!

presspics
08-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Wait a second... y'all are havin' waaaay too much fun!

Ian MacDonald
09-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Bill,

I just saw your post in the Buy and Sell forum about you selling your E-1. Your mention of Carsand-Mosher really rang a bell. I bought my first SLR from them back in '78 or '79 when I was a teenager. It was a Pentax K1000 that I had saved up for by working all summer at my grandpa's house in Halifax.

I suppose it's about time that I greet you with a belated welcome. I'm an expatriate Bluenoser living in California for the last 16 years or so. I grew up in Trenton, NS and went to college in Halifax at St. Mary's. I lived out west in Calgary for a time before finally moving down here. No regrets except for the lack of the seasons I grew up with. I get back to Nova Scotia every year or so to see my folks who are retired there. My family down here always loves visiting the Maritimes.

Cheers to you,

-- Ian

gunnerx
09-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Welcome fellow Canuck. I should find some time to visit the Maritimes. 17 years already in Canada and I haven't been out of Ontario/Quebec.

shrinkpictures
09-15-2006, 06:19 AM
Welcome - back from the C side (sorta like the dark side)

need to turn your pic into an avatar? - www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

presspics
09-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Yep - Thanks to Bill Turner down in Florida, I'll be running two 300s with an E1 as the backup.
Ian MacDonald - I remember an Ian MacDonald... Would this be the same Ian conjugated with Tracy MacFarlane in Calgary for a bit?
(heh, heh)
And if'n ya ain't been down east, whatcha waitin for?
It's hurricane season!!!

B

AnnF
09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
B: I've been down east. I lived in GA for awhile. And I've had my share of hurricanes from living in Okinawa, Hawaii & Cuba.:ohmy: