PDA

View Full Version : Well, this is a much nicer Place

TomServoCA
08-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Greetings 4.3 folks

I'm a refugee from "the other place". I must say that this is a much less frantic board.

What to say about me? Well, I've been shooting since around early '70s, first with a Praktika LTL that I bought at Sears with my hard earned lawnmowing money. Loved that camera but had it ripped off in Long Beach back around 1980. Migrated to an OM-2, then an OM-4 (I think I kept the battery companies in business with that one) and finally an OM-4t.

I jumped into the digital world last year when Peter Jeune over at the CameraStore (shameless plug, these guys are great) in Calgary was clearing out a 2 lens E-300 demonstrator for a price that couldn't be beat. My latest purchase was the 50-200 log. I love that E-300 and the only way I'd give it up is if someone ripped it from my cold, dead hand. I'm really looking forward to the next E-x

I'm still trying to find "my voice" shooting wise, but I like to shoot minor hockey. These go with the hockey stories I write for the team. The assignment I've given myself for these is to shoot the game, write the game story in 1000 words and have it out on the wire to the team within 12 hours of the final whistle. It's an interesting challenge and it really forces me to focus on the story I'm trying to tell.

Any way, my album is here:

http://marklauter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=801

and my blog is here:

http://tomservocainfamy.blogspot.com/

Thanks for running such a nice board, I think I'm going to like it here.

Cheers

John

billd
08-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Welcome. Another Canadian!
Bill D.

tspore
08-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Great shots!
And welcome to the board. Look forward to seeing more of your posts.

presspics
08-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Well Howdy to ya TomServo!

Bill in Halifax here; I worked rodeo out of Calgary before hoppin' the prairie schooner for the shores of Nova Scotia.

Hey, I feel your pain about shootin' and writin' with deadlines snappin' at yer heels.

Best advice I can offer, if yer interested, is to get a fast notebook and pick yer best shots before ya get to writin - and don't scrimp on the java!!

Hey! If ya get down to Cowboys or Buzzards, tell 'em the Calgary Cowboy sez hi!

TomServoCA
08-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Best advice I can offer, if yer interested, is to get a fast notebook and pick yer best shots before ya get to writin - and don't scrimp on the java!!

I'm a bit of a luddite, I still use pen an paper to keep the game notes in a 3x5 spiral notebook from the Loonie Store :smile:

After the game I review my notes, the game sheet (as team manager, I get these) and the pix and look for a hook and a headline. Then out for a walk, as story fragments swirl in my brain trying to assemble them into something that matches the rhythm of the game. Then into Olympus Master to select the images that match the story that's rattling around in my mind. Photoshop to pull the images out of the murk and try to color balance out the mercury vapour lights :wall: No mean feat, given the crap lighting in most arenas. No daylight balanced TV lights in these arenas!

Then, fire up PSPad (yup, a vanilla text editor) and bang out the story. Quick check for spelling and any egrigious grammatical errors and out on the wire it goes. Thank heavens I don't have to fight with a sub-editor. :smile: Since I use the voice of a hack sportswriter for the local paper of a mythical small town in the "High Country", The Glenlake Herald, it tends to be a bit formulaic, with purple prose that would make Danny Gallivan blush, it's not that hard. And, I follow the small town rules: "Make sure you mention as many names as possible and get their names spelt right"

Someday I'll find an editor and have the stories beaten into something publishable. Roy McGregor I'm not, but it lets me indulge in my 3 loves, Hockey, photography and writing...

Cheers!
John

P.S. Since my wife's a WestJetter, we may be able to get out to Halifax on the cheap some day.

presspics
08-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Just let me know.
Hey! There's even a bull bash here in October.
Now there ain't never been a bull bash in Nova Scotia, that I know of, so it's going to be kinda neat seein' a lot of the old PBR faces, and pre-PBR faces, down here in the hood!
Hmmmm... sounds like a pretty good photo story....

AnnF
08-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Welcome, John. We also have a photo contest going on each month in the monthly photo contest forum. Feel free to join before the end of the month.:smile:

Ann

assafx
09-02-2006, 12:22 PM
i loved the photos and regardign the other place? it took me one week to realize that i got nothing to do there.

Welcome.

Assaf