PDA

View Full Version : Next E !!! official picture

Johannes
09-25-2006, 01:17 AM
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/info/2006b/image/if060925esyse.jpg

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/info/2006b/if060925esyse.cfm

http://www.photokina-show.com/news_images/00406_olympus_slr.jpg

http://www.photokina-show.com/0406/olympus/digitalcameras/olympusesystem/

Official esystem commitment PDF. (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/E-Commitment.pdf)
From the small picture, seems the lcd monitor can flip out like E-330 ...
I myself like the recess of the vertical grip, think it has better ergonomic when zoom the lens.

Stuttaton
09-25-2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.mytikas.org/portal/viewtopic.php?p=3386#3386 (http://www.mytikas.org/portal/viewtopic.php?p=3386#3386)

OzRay
09-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I'll leave detailed comment until the official announcement, but if that is a real mock up, it only takes a few minutes to grow on you.

Cheers

Ray

thnp
09-25-2006, 01:36 AM
It's beautiful.

*Hug*

Woodworkerks
09-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Interesting body style, french curves and rakish angles. They definitely do their own thing on Mt. Olympus....

Doesn't sound like they're planing on selling out to Panasonic any time soon. ;)

marcof
09-25-2006, 01:39 AM
I wonder how big it'll be... looks like about E1 sized..

Stuttaton
09-25-2006, 01:44 AM
I wonder how big it'll be... looks like about E1 sized..

I think it looks quite a bit bigger that the E-1. Note that the lens is the 7-14, not the 14-54...

/Jörgen

Johannes
09-25-2006, 01:44 AM
From the Olympus japan site ... the lens mounted on it is a 7-14mm, and if the lcd monitor is a 2.5", then we can roughly guess the size of the new E.
I myself like the vertical grip shape, can rest my left hand wrist at it. :smile:

Johannes
09-25-2006, 01:46 AM
I think it looks quite a bit bigger that the E-1. Note thet the lens is the 7-14, not the 14-54...

/Jörgen

Haha, it means olympus still do not want to disclose any new lens which is on the way :P

OzRay
09-25-2006, 01:47 AM
Looks like the mock up is real, as it's posted on the Olympus site. The general styling I don't mind at all, the grip has to change, in that it has no control wheels (that's going backwards from the E1) and the cutout is perhaps a bit too extreme.

Good to see no popup flash and obviously the external sockets like PC sysnc, remote will be added. But styling wise I think it looks really great and the additional grip looks much more thought out, much like that on the K10D.

The 7-14mm lens actually looks like a 14-54mm on the body, so is this merely a perspective thing, or is the body larger? Either way, I don't mind one bit, but let's hope we hear about the specs sooner, rather than later. I guess it doesn't matter, I'm here for the long haul (waving to all those jumping overboard - bon voyage!).

Cheers

Ray

marcof
09-25-2006, 01:49 AM
the letsgodigital picture shows indeed the 7-14mm

that's a biggie camera.

marcof
09-25-2006, 02:12 AM
but what is this?
http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/publish/article_1173.shtml

supposedly taken at Photokina as well.....

Don Baldwinson
09-25-2006, 02:21 AM
It looks like a faithful progression of the E-1, which I like,
Don

atmosphere
09-25-2006, 02:22 AM
but what is this?
hrrmm, very strange mount, most close to a 4:3 mounts "op zijn kop" (rotated 180 degrees)

OzRay
09-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Nah! That's the high speed sports camera body, not the general use one. I have to wonder how much trial and error Olympus designers had to go through before they came up with the latest concept. It's pretty good, except for a few things that might be of personal taste.

Cheers

Ray

Danijel Turina
09-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Ouch, it is huge. 7-14 on it looks like 14-54 on my E1, so it's about as big as a Canon 1Ds. What happened with the promise of smaller and more compact cameras than on 35mm? :(

iROK
09-25-2006, 02:28 AM
but what is this?

Thats gotta be a the Pro-grade PROTOTYPE E.VI.L. that the MilitarySuperintendant played with... :eek:
Wonder how many FPS it could do...:evilgrin:

:ohmy: the lens mount is OM not ZD-4/3!!

marcof
09-25-2006, 02:44 AM
I uploaded the official press release image from the olympus site to my flickr account..
Quite surprised what I found out..
the PR images are taken with..... yep, an E1 :D

here's the EXIF:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=252236822

image taken from here:
http://www.olympus.com.hk/prroom/notice/1174822_621.html

Dan Browning
09-25-2006, 03:15 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this body is Uglier than the E-300? :blink:

I know that doesn't mean crap but man it's ugly. Before you bark at me....I own a E-300. Matter of fact I've owned two of them.

I'm sure it will grow on me but from what I see in that image, it's a ugly duckling. I can't wait to hold one though!!!!! Very excited!!! :yahoo:

thnp
09-25-2006, 03:24 AM

I know that doesn't mean crap but man it's ugly. Before you bark at me....I own a E-300. Matter of fact I've owned two of them.

I'm sure it will grow on me but from what I see in that image, it's a ugly duckling. I can't wait to hold one though!!!!! Very excited!!! :yahoo:

*Rollkick Dan Browning* It's a swan!!! Yes, it might be a ugly example of the species; but still a swan.. Maybe a Cygnus atratus maybe? (Australian black swan) :rooleyes:

That ought to be something for Ozray ^^

OzRay
09-25-2006, 03:30 AM
I reckon it looks great.

Cheers

Ray

Pille
09-25-2006, 03:36 AM
Hmmm... I think it looks cool :smile: Lot of stuff still missing (where's the top dial for A, S, M and such?) but I like the overall shape. I do hope that the grip is not integrated tho...

jonr
09-25-2006, 03:45 AM
I miss the L-shape. And the front dial, I always felt it was more comfortable than those recessed dials Canon/Nikon put on their cameras. But of course it could change. Otherwise it does look good, very "zen".

presspics
09-25-2006, 03:53 AM
Oooooh..... Aaaaaaah.....

Interesting look, interesting look.... but I'll wait for specs and some user reviews from some of ya who've been saving your pennies for the day you can handle this new camera!!
Happy 4/3 Day!

marcof
09-25-2006, 03:57 AM
and olympus europa has uploaded the "E system strategy commitment" brief as PDF:
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/images/Olympus_E-System_Commitment.pdf

windsprite
09-25-2006, 05:05 AM
I love the curvy look. I wonder how far it is from completion.

I don't see an SF-CAF-MF toggle on it. I hope they have something good in mind for that, as well as a quick way to switch among the (hopefully 7 or more) AF points.

Julie

s.hum
09-25-2006, 05:15 AM
and a step in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned. A me-too 4/3's body seems to lose some of the arguments for its inception. And, if its weight has increased commensurately, it will have a lot less appeal for me.

S

JonasB
09-25-2006, 05:25 AM
This is what we have been waiting for and now we have a model.
It looks realy promising. the huge prism promises a good and bigger viewfinder. The lack of a MSAP-dial and overal slimness makes it look even more robust than the E-1(and more Canon, less Nikon). I sure hope the vertical grip is a permanent part of the body. The way they made the shutter-release its totaly Canonish. Overall, my first assosiation when i saw this was Canon1D. Maby Olympus tought"Canon is the leader in proDslr. Should we make something that looks similar...?". Just like the E-300 wasn´t a major brekatrough but the E-500 was. Maby it can lure more working photographers into Olycamp by serving something that looks more familiar. I mean, if i say car, you don´t think of an airplane.... Just hope it will have the great ergonomic contrary to canon.

Jonas

gunnerx
09-25-2006, 05:36 AM
The body is great! It's nice, sleek and clean which ensures that the weatherproofing is intact. I probably won't be able to afford it until everyone is looking for the next E model. :D

Pete Wilcox
09-25-2006, 05:37 AM
It looks to me like the vertical grip is still intended to be removable - otherwise why have the break line along the bottom? Which is my preference, I like being able to remove the grip.

jonr
09-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Can I get an all-black version? With no markings? Or perhaps black on black? ;)
I think I could get used to it. Very minimalist, I can only see 12 buttons compared to E-1 19.
I think Olympus is starting (Finally!) to pull their SLR vision together after the OM-5 disaster...

KellysCayman
09-25-2006, 05:59 AM
INFO FIX!!!! AAAAAAA

Finally, news about the new E Pro! The entire Olympus community just gave a huge sigh! We got our Info fix now we are all happy to know Olympus is working on a new camera!

So we can now get back to work using the gear we got!! hahahaha, that part was more in reference to the other forum!

The one thing I am noticing about the mockup is the lack of battery door on the grip. I would expect the shape of the grip will change a little. Also like Ray pointed out the lack of wheel on the grip, I hope the buttons on the grip are not the up and down!

But its great to have had my INFO FIX!

Sharkey
09-25-2006, 05:59 AM
Now we have a rough guide on how it will look !!!
I sure do like it.:cool:

So it's time to start wondering about specs and prize :eek:
You better start saving already I guess......
I bet $200-250 dollars a month would bring you close to its price when its eventually released.
Guessing a release date of around July 2007

marcof
09-25-2006, 06:07 AM
Now we have a rough guide on how it will look !!!
I sure do like it.:cool:

So it's time to start wondering about specs and prize :eek:
You better start saving already I guess......
I bet $200-250 dollars a month would bring you close to its price when its eventually released.
Guessing a release date of around July 2007

here goes my "dertiende maand" aka christmas bonus :D

gunnerx
09-25-2006, 06:09 AM
The battery grip could be a quick mock up for media pics. The final product will most likely include the dials. It doesn't make any sense not to!

Theresa K
09-25-2006, 06:12 AM

I know that doesn't mean shit but man it's ugly. Before you bark at me....I own a E-300. Matter of fact I've owned two of them.

Yup, I love my ugly duckling 300's. Both of them. I am thinking this will be a popular camera but I agree, it's a bit on the homely side.

KellysCayman
09-25-2006, 06:13 AM
According to the rep I talked too we are looking at a March 2007 release.

JonasB
09-25-2006, 06:22 AM

I wisch i had a christmas bonus...:(

Sharkey
09-25-2006, 06:24 AM

:nailbiting: .....

$350 dollars a month then....

I already start to pitty my wife and kids. A half year of no luxury what so ever!!

me-> :tony: <- wife and kids

Theresa K
09-25-2006, 06:26 AM

Oh, yeah, I think I've heard of that. It's what other people get at Christmas.... :sothere:

jonr
09-25-2006, 06:39 AM

Rep at Photokina? Olympus Rep?

Prairie
09-25-2006, 06:51 AM
I love it.

BigB
09-25-2006, 06:55 AM
I love the last line of the statement. Seems Oly is aware people were growing quite restless and relentless in their call for the demise of 4/3. :D

jebir
09-25-2006, 07:04 AM
but what is this?

supposedly taken at Photokina as well.....

Whatever it was - it doesn't show up on my screen ... Did they remove it from the site?

Jens.

marcof
09-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Something that I find hilarious (but I have a strange sence of humor) is that no matter how mock-up a mock-up is.. it ALWAYS has a flash shoe cover one it :D

@jebier.. dunno, it showed an "E1-rs" which looked totally un-E1-ish.. for some reason it's either pulled or moved somewhere else.

Cendres
09-25-2006, 07:39 AM
May be this time!
I said in my last deleted message that the new E-3 isn't so ugly without its grip, as you can see on the attached picture which I quick modify with PSCS2!
Regards.
André

llpoolej
09-25-2006, 07:59 AM
WooooHooo!! Right in time for the 2007 horse show season! Yeah!!

Stuttaton
09-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I wonder why the mirror hump is protruding so much in front of the lens mount. Normally, this is done to make room for the built-in flash. As this camera doesn't have a flash, it must be to make room for something else. But what? The prism will certainly not use this extra space.

/Jörgen

JonasB
09-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Ok, if the E-x goes for 2500euro then i need to add the 35-100 for 2300euro that i have been thinking of buying. If the E-x has a 10mp or more sensor, i will need to buy a new computer: 1500euro. And when Lightroom is released i will need to buy that since the beta will not work anymore. Probably 300euro. New CF-cards, say 200euro.
So the new E-x will be all-in-all around 7000euro..... :cursing:

Still, a body only canon 1Ds is about 7000euro:evilgrin:

Jonas

llpoolej
09-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Much sexier without the grip! Not ugly at all. Maybe the grip is just uber functional and we can forgive its unattractiveness??

Cendres
09-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Stuttaton: May be for a liveview new system!
As I see on the picture, it seems that the LCD is not fixed...

Johannes
09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I wonder why the mirror hump is protruding so much in front of the lens mount. Normally, this is done to make room for the built-in flash. As this camera doesn't have a flash, it must be to make room for something else. But what? The prism will certainly not use this extra space.

/Jörgen
May be place for live view ccd sensor ....?

Johannes
09-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Much sexier without the grip! Not ugly at all. Maybe the grip is just uber functional and we can forgive its unattractiveness??
My wild guess is ..... the recess is for the wrist to rest when you hold up the camera to eye level and zoom/focus ... love or hate the shape, but seems ergonomicly good ...
The old E-1 shape and the new E-P1(?) is just like the change of the outline of BMW motorbikes ... from curves to more straight lines and edges ... however, the tilted angle of the top lcd part could be good for user.

Stuttaton
09-25-2006, 09:14 AM
May be place for live view ccd sensor ....?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too.

/Jörgen

First Light
09-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Greetings,

I rather hope that the viewfinder hump is an indication of a new pentaprism on steroids. A bigger and brighter viewfinder (with 100% coverage like the E-1) would be very nice.

cisaaca
09-25-2006, 09:33 AM

Don't know about you, but having a vertical grip is essential to my shooting style and habit... Either way, I hope, and I know, that Olympus will really want to make the E-x a kickbutt camera body because of what the competition has already in the market that really makes a lot of sense and are real workhorses.

I am a little disappointed that Olympus totally cut the veritcal grip option for the prosumer range... I was still hoping for the E-330 to have a vertical grip. Looks like I am selling my E-330 (very underused as a spare body) and use that money for the new E-x.

cisaaca
09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Greetings,

I rather hope that the viewfinder hump is an indication of a new pentaprism on steroids. A bigger and brighter viewfinder (with 100% coverage like the E-1) would be very nice.

In a way, I think Olympus is listening to the needs of their user community. Like you, I am hoping that Olympus will really work on a brighter and bigger viewfinder because everyone is really bitching about it and comparing it to other professional cameras out there in the market (let's not start the comparison since the E-1 is a really aged camera).

Looking at what the compeition has released, and from the mock up, looks like Olympus is working really hard on (1) Ergonomics (2) Improvements like possible live view? brighter bigger viewfinder (3) implementation of some "special sauce" that makes the E-x something that will wow the world.

The larger size of the camera makes sense for me as it balances out well with the Platinum range of lenses (which is a lot more heavier) and having a heavier and larger body makes good "feel" and balance in our hands. Maybe in my case.

Its like using a 50-200 on a E-330 and E-1. The "feel" is so different. You know the better and heavier lenses feels better on the pro camera body.

Just my two cents. Feel free to correct me on this. Cheers.

lkeeney
09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
I am all for a larger E3 body. It will give them more room to put a faster, more powerful processor, and all those extra pixels. :D

Lawrence

llpoolej
09-25-2006, 11:00 AM
I love the grip on my camera. Though this new one may be extremely ergonomical, it still doesn't float my boat asethetically. I can get over looks. (Good thing my husband can too :D )

the beast
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
It appears that the body itself is not larger and according to photoshopped info on another site the body itself is actually smaller, this is the reason why the pentaprism looks larger.

The real problem that most people will now face is the history timeline. When the original E-1 was anounced it was something in early march, was it not? The camera made it to the stores the first week in october. The prototype body that was under glass changed very little (if at all) while at this moment the E-? is still without half of the "finish"............no battery door, no memory door etc., etc............ Somebody has already mentioned march of next year (I think that is a dream). All there is is a mockup, not even a prototype.

I will buy it whenever it arrives but I believe next october, not march is more realistic.

Randy

tspore
09-25-2006, 11:43 AM
It appears that the body itself is not larger and according to photoshopped info on another site the body itself is actually smaller, this is the reason why the pentaprism looks larger.
The real problem that most people will now face is the history timeline. When the original E-1 was anounced it was something in early march, was it not? The camera made it to the stores the first week in october. The prototype body that was under glass changed very little (if at all) while at this moment the E-? is still without half of the "finish"............no battery door, no memory door etc., etc............ Somebody has already mentioned march of next year (I think that is a dream). All there is is a mockup, not even a prototype.
I will buy it whenever it arrives but I believe next october, not march is more realistic.
Randy

Randy,
I think that you are probably right. One thing that drew me to olympus, was their desire to get it right. If I was a Canon shooter, I would have been not happy to go from 20D to 30D, for some minor updates. They may get a camera quicker, but really, I would rather save some money and get some nice stuff.

Sharkey
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I was trying to compare sizes with a E-500, based on the 2.5" LCD

But then I noticed the back-LCD isn't as square as the E-500 one.

It's 2:3 sized, not 3:4! I surely hope this is a true mock-up..........

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6325/lcdscreensly2.th.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lcdscreensly2.jpg)

Bojan Volcansek
09-25-2006, 12:09 PM
I was trying to compare sizes with a E-500, based on the 2.5" LCD

But then I noticed the back-LCD isn't as square as the E-500 one.

It's 2:3 sized, not 3:4! I surely hope this is a true mock-up..........

Always try to compare based on Flash Hot-Shoe, all the rest can be misleading - or the size of the same lens.

Yours Bojan

jebir
09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi Marco,

and olympus europa has uploaded the "E system strategy commitment" brief as PDF:
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/images/Olympus_E-System_Commitment.pdf

This is the most interesting part:

We assure you there will be successors to the E-1 constantly,
and the Olympus E-System and the Four Thirds System will continue to grow.
Masaharu Okubo
President, Olympus Imaging Corporation

Good to remember when people start to whine about too long product cycle next time it is time for a new professional body.

Cheers, Jens.

PS. I don't think the product cycles are unreasonably long for the E-system dSLRs - rather surprisingly short for a minor player like Olympus.

Rob Bye
09-25-2006, 01:30 PM
When I look at this mock-up, I see the old Canon EOS-630. Does anyone else see that influence?

Rob Bye

Allo
09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
I really like the design of the body. It actually reminds me of the BMW Z4 dash design where the lines across the top are tapered. Excellent I say.

JonasB
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
When I look at this mock-up, I see the old Canon EOS-630. Does anyone else see that influence?

Rob Bye

Jepp, tought i had seen that cut-off verticalgripp design before. Just didn´t recall it. Boy, the 630 was made in 1980-something. Looks like Olympus has studied canon design litle bit too close. :D Hope it hasn´t spread to the inside of the body too...

jebir
09-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with you Jörgen.

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/pimages/33/large/1_E-1P_vs_E-1_retouch.jpg (http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/pimages/33/1_E-1P_vs_E-1_retouch.jpg)

It sure looks a lot bigger. It has muscular shoulders - like a wrestler and it is a fair bit wider (~+18%). Looks higher as well but that is harder to tell due to the slightly different perspective.

I immediately fell in love whith the E-1 when I saw it first time. Then after I had tried it, I knew that I was going to own one. With this camera... no... -no love at first sight here! I think my E-1 is a feminine camera while this beast clearly is masculine - like the BMW Z4 as Allo mentioned.

The left image showing the E-1 successor mockup is copied from this site: "Mytikas (http://www.mytikas.org/portal/viewtopic.php?p=3386#3386)". The right side was taken by me with my trusty C5050 - still going strong. Apologies for the poor lighting - just took a snap with on-board flash.

Cheers, Jens.

PS. The images don't have exactly the same perspective but the diameters of the lenses are the same at their bases so I think it is a 'roughly fair' comparison.

PPS. I also erased the strap from my E-1 in PP.

Chuckr53
09-25-2006, 05:33 PM
To be honest...the appearance makes little difference to me. The battery grip is definitely shaped differently than the E-1's HLD-2, so no swapping here. What's that? Another $300-$400? Minor detail.

What I'm interested in are the capabilities, features, specifications, and performance. Those will be the tells.

I only have a few questions...feel free to add to the list.

How big will the buffer be?
How many shots per second will it shoot?
How fast will it write to the memory?
What kind of memory?
Will the new camera(s) incorporate the DNG file format? (wouldn't it be nice to have RAW+DNG?)
Will batteries last longer per charge?
Will we need to buy new batteries?
What will the fastest flash synch speed be? Can't it be closer to 1/1000?
Will there be true (variable) automatic ISO with the flash on instead of just ISO100?
Will there be wireless integrated?
Will the AF speed and low light performance improve?
Will there be more focus points?
Will there be a wider range of ISO? Both ends of the scale?
Will there be more shutter speed choices?
How will the metering be improved?
Will the meter performance be improved for low light?
Will the dynamic range be increased or improved with the supposedly improved metering?
Will the viewfinder be larger, or brighter, or easier for manual focus?
Yes...how many pixels are planned?
What type of sensor will it have? (CMOS, CCD or Foveon?)
Will it have live view?
Will there be scenes?
I didn't see a separate white balance illuminator, or an AF assist illuminator...what about those? Any improvements there?
What about the Custom White Balance button...where'd it go?
Where'd the DOF button go?
What are all those buttons on the mockup for? How about some labels?
The top lcd looks huge.
Will the diopter range on the viewfinder be increased...we're not getting younger you know.
What are they going to do about the problem on the rubberized grips...will they be prone to coming loose like the E-1's?
Can we assume improved weather-proofing?
What about software improvements?

Oh, and the assumption is that it will work flawlessly...right?

About the shape...that viewfinder sure looks like the E500's. The body looks like something out of Battlestar Gallactica in black. On second thought.....like you OzRay...I think it looks kind of cool. :cool:

Really...mock ups are fine...what about the important things?

I forgot...how much will it cost? :blink:

OK...I'm done. :yahoo:

Chuckr53
09-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah...will the shutter life be extended far beyond the E-1's 150,000?

Kyle Jones
09-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I like the look of the new E, though I must say I was jolted by the weird look of the grip.

I wish more could be discerned from this mockup, but the lack of obvious features like proper controls on the grip suggests that almost nothing of the real feature set of the camera should be inferred from the model.

Chuckr53
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Kyle...agreed. It is just a mockup. There's a lot yet to be finalized. (Feel free to expand on my list.)

My wife just bought another time-share in Cabo San Lucas...maybe I won't be buying an expensive new camera after all. :rooleyes:

Bill_Turner
09-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Full EXIF...
[Image]
Image Description = OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Make = OLYMPUS CORPORATION
Model = E-1
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 240
Y Resolution = 240
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
Date Time = 2006-09-25 15:25:51
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 240
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/160"
F Number = F7.1
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2006-09-13 11:53:16
Date Time Digitized = 2006-09-13 11:53:16
Shutter Speed Value = 7.32 TV
Aperture Value = 5.66 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.8
Metering Mode = CenterWeightedAverage
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Off
Focal Length = 67mm
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 800
Exif Image Height = 813
File Source = DSC
CFA Pattern = [G,R],
[B,G]
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure
White Balance = Manual white balance
Digital Zoom Ratio =
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Gain Control = None
Contrast = Normal
Saturation = Normal
Sharpness = Normal
[Thumbnail Info]
Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 802
JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 5249
[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 157 x 160

deevee
09-25-2006, 08:45 PM
if this is it then i 'm quite disappointed; it looks no different than other DSLRs on the market , especially canon...:rooleyes: ... i 've always love the asymmetrical design of the E1 whereby the left side is short so you can hold the lens easily, and plenty of room on the right for the grip...and the squarish masculine right shoulder...why go back to film body design and emulate the rest with those sloped feminine shoulders? there's no more film spool to house, darn it ?:ohmy: ...seems like Oly doesn't want to look different anymore, conformity may be the last nail on the coffin i'm afraid :evilgrin:

OzRay
09-25-2006, 09:06 PM
if this is it then i 'm quite disappointed; it looks no different than other DSLRs on the market , especially canon...:rooleyes: ... i 've always love the asymmetrical design of the E1 whereby the left side is short so you can hold the lens easily, and plenty of room on the right for the grip...and the squarish masculine right shoulder...why go back to film body design and emulate the rest with those sloped feminine shoulders? there's no more film spool to house, darn it ?:ohmy: ...seems like Oly doesn't want to look different anymore, conformity may be the last nail on the coffin i'm afraid :evilgrin:

Actually, I think it looks a fair bit different to the others, but that may change as dials etc are added. That aside, there may be some very logical reasons to alter the asymetric design and one reason may be as simple as to enable a larger screen. There may be additional reasons, to do with electronics etc.

But I am curious, what will you choose in lieu?

Cheers

Ray

Don Baldwinson
09-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Noting the euphoria greeting an unfinished 10% of the new camera, I think this whole Forum will ascend to Heaven when the important 90% is released. :smile:
Don

Kyle Jones
09-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm OK with the curvy bits, but must they move the buttons around again?

Kyle Jones
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Noting the euphoria greeting an unfinished 10% of the new camera, I think this whole Forum will ascend to Heaven when the important 90% is released. :smile:
Don

Until today we only had rumors that there would be a next pro body. Now, at least we know for sure. We don't know if it'll be good or bad, but we at least know they're trying. This is a big day.

Since the entry-level E-400 has 10 megapixels, I think we safely assume the E-3 will have at least that much resolution. I'm expecting D2X type specs now, and a D2X type price.

OzRay
09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
If it has D2X specs, I'll gladly pay the D2X price (as long as that includes the grip).

Cheers

Ray

Johannes
09-26-2006, 12:16 AM
After a long wait, we finally heard something from Olympus officially, we all very excited yesterday, and now have to cool down and wait patiently for another 6 months till next March to get exciting again :cool:

AussieRob
09-26-2006, 01:07 AM
I don't know if any of you have seen these, but there are 6 more photos here.
http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?p=1039#poststop
Rob

goldenberg
09-26-2006, 02:46 AM
more pics from dpnow:

Pontiac005
09-26-2006, 04:36 AM
I would not care or need the grip if it looked like that. I am interested in the New E though. E500 may be my backup, if I dont sell it.

windsprite
09-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Chuckr53, one more question I would add to your list:

Will it accept the old battery grip?

(Sadly, it looks like the answer is going to be "no"....?)

Julie

Pille
09-26-2006, 05:24 AM
From certain angles it looks very... darthvaderish :D But hey - I've always been a big fan of Star Wars. Now add some mean specs and I'm sold.

*starts dreaming about Christmas bonuses*

parallaxkid
09-26-2006, 05:32 AM
I for one am happy that we finally get a glimpse to what we can expect aesthetically. However, I don't like the indented grip. The grip on my E-1 I feel is superior. I also side with those who feel the symmetrical design is a step backwards for Olympus. One last thing I must gripe about, and I think First Light would agree with me on this...if the lcd does in fact tilt...I'll be somewhat disappointed. This means less robust weather seal (sand/dust/dirt can more easily enter the body or get stuck around the hinges of the lcd). Less moving parts=more robustness as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted a tilt lcd I'd have bought an E-330. The E-1 is perfect aside from some minor performance shortcomings and less than competitive resolution (adequate I might add).

With all griping aside, I'm confident the specs/performance will be quite impressive. It is a mockup after all...

First Light
09-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi Brian,

I don't know. The only reason for an articulated monitor is if the camera has live view. And if it does, I think a non-articulating monitor would degrade its usability. I think Panasonic blew it by fixing the monitor on the L-1.

Before getting my first E-1, I had a couple of E-20n cameras and they had live view and an articulated monitor. In spite of the poor live-view quality, I used this feature many times for both overhead shots in a crowd and low shots when shooting children.

While I agree that it would be much easier from an engineer's perspective to weatherseal the E-P1 if its monitor is fixed, I trust Olympus to devise a way to weather seal an articulated one also.

I'm in favor of live view and think it is a great feature. But if given an "either/or" choice between it and a large and bright viewfinder, I'll choose the viewfinder in a heartbeat. I might feel less strongly about the viewfinder if I were using a camera with a larger image sensor because it would be easier to achieve both at the same time.

My comments assume that live view would provide the capabilities of both Mode A and B. If only a Mode B were provided, then there may be very little problem achieving both a good viewfinder and live view. But I wouldn't want that. I would want Mode A capability also because I don't believe that sensor technology has advanced to the point where the main sensor can effectively be used continuously for live preview without seriously increasing the image noise---especially with a 4/3rds sensor with double digit megapixels.

When sensor technology has advanced to where the main sensor can offer continuous live view with no disadvantage, then we can do away with the mechnical shutter and switch to an electronic shutter like the E-10 and E-20n used. Our cameras would be whisper quiet and we would no longer need to be concerned with shutter life. The sensor life would probably be the new limit.

jebir
09-26-2006, 07:01 AM
When sensor technology has advanced to where the main sensor can offer continuous live view with no disadvantage, then we can do away with the mechnical shutter and switch to an electronic shutter like the E-10 and E-20n used. Our cameras would be whisper quiet and we would no longer need to be concerned with shutter life. The sensor life would probably be the new limit.

Interestingly, Nikon went the other direction, abandoning electronic shuttering, when they introduced the D80 as a follower to the D70s. I wonder why?

Cheers, Jens.

First Light
09-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Greetings again,

The "Pro E-System design concept" announcement has appeared on the U.S. Olympus website. It is a PDF and it adds the photo shown below.

tspore
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
The only thing that I can say I am a little disappointed about the body with the vertical grip, is I doubt that we will have the ability again for a L bracket. With the E-1 RRS said that we had to many things on the side (all the ports) for one, with this we will probably be at to odd of an angle on the side to mold the metal.

OzRay
09-26-2006, 02:03 PM
The more I see photos of the new body, the more I like it (I must have weird tastes). The other thing that occurred to me is that I may not miss the dials all that much. The only dial that the E1 has is the mode dial and if this is now controlled by one button press and one of the commend dials (which it looks like it may), will I be missing anything?

I'm not sure about not having dials on the grip (at least one perhaps), but then when I think about it, I don't really use them very much on the E1 grip. When I have to change ISO (the most frequent adjustment), I have to use the dial on the top of the body, not the grip.

I'll leave my opinions open at the moment, as there could be some interesting ergonomics at play here, especially if things are fully visible in the viewfinder. There's a rather odd bulge on the prism housing, just behind the hot shoe.

Footnote: Has anyone noticed that there is no locking wheel on the grip? How does it attach, or is it a permanent fixture? I don't mind either way.

Cheers

Ray

syntaxerr0r
09-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Footnote: Has anyone noticed that there is no locking wheel on the grip? How does it attach, or is it a permanent fixture? I don't mind either way.

It's just a mockup, probably made by "rendering" an early 3D model in a solid-3D "printer" that can nowadays produce a variety of textures (like the ones made by http://www.zcorp.com/). Look, the buttons have no names, it lacks the info LCD screen and various markings as well as many other details. Heck, its name isn't even on it!

IMHO, the final product will most likely differ quite a bit from this prototype. But when will we see a working sample?

parallaxkid
09-26-2006, 11:39 PM
As usual I agree with First Light. I wouldn't mind a tilt lcd if they could make it 100% weatherproof and rugged. Live view w/o sacrificing viewfinder brightness is critical.

I wonder about purpose the new vertical grip shape. More specifically, I'm curious if the battery life will change. With a smaller grip, this could mean a smaller battery, and in consequence shorter battery life. I also wonder about the button placement. I'm a switch and dial person and appreciate settings directly accessible w/o having to navigate through menus. It looks as though the new body will be more menu driven than the E-1 due to less buttons & switches.

On a more positive note, I really don't mind how the camera looks. Its starting to grow on me, and perhaps I'll grow to love it as much as OzRay does. I think even though they're moving back to the 35mm body style, the camera isn't bad looking. Now Olympus needs to release some basic specs on the new E. Pictures are nice, specs are nicer.

jebir
09-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi Brian,

As usual I also wonder about the button placement. I'm a switch and dial person and appreciate settings directly accessible w/o having to navigate through menus. It looks as though the new body will be more menu driven than the E-1 due to less buttons & switches.
this is also one concern that I have had when seing the fewer buttons. I certainly hope that Olympus keeps the same ergonomics as the E-1. I think the E-1 is the DSLR body that got the most positive feedback regarding ergonomy - all brands counted. So in this regards, I would be disappointed if Oly makes a mess out of something proven to be superb. However, I trust this mockup to be in an incomplete state of development and that they are to add rather than remove functionality.

I don't care so much for the looks of it but hey... it's a tool and as such it is the feel that is important - I tend to get used to looks pretty fast even if I won't 'love' it.

Cheers, Jens.

OzRay
09-26-2006, 11:55 PM
I also wonder about the button placement. I'm a switch and dial person and appreciate settings directly accessible w/o having to navigate through menus. It looks as though the new body will be more menu driven than the E-1 due to less buttons & switches.

I thought that as well initially, but on further thought, it's probably not menu driven. Just consider the current E1, if you wannt to change drive mode, metering mode, iso, flash setting, AF mode etc, these are all done via pressing a button and turning a commend wheel.

All of this is fast, easy and the results viewable in the viewfinder or top screen. So why not do away with the main dial and have one additional button to change from PASM? It makes sense to me. One less mechanical complexity done away with and it makes the body even more weatherproof.

Cheers

Ray

thnp
09-27-2006, 01:04 AM
I thought that as well initially, but on further thought, it's probably not menu driven. Just consider the current E1, if you wannt to change drive mode, metering mode, iso, flash setting, AF mode etc, these are all done via pressing a button and turning a commend wheel.

All of this is fast, easy and the results viewable in the viewfinder or top screen. So why not do away with the main dial and have one additional button to change from PASM? It makes sense to me. One less mechanical complexity done away with and it makes the body even more weatherproof.

Cheers

Ray

Sounds very reasonable indeed. The whole PASM-thingy-turnweel takes up quite alot of space, and is indeed not needed if you implement a press'n'turn button/dial combo instead... The larger top-display could easily allow the display of a letter showing which mode is presently in use.

All things accounted, I really fancy the new body.. It's sexy as hell :rooleyes:

Bojan Volcansek
09-27-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure about not having dials on the grip (at least one perhaps), but then when I think about it, I don't really use them very much on the E1 grip. When I have to change ISO (the most frequent adjustment), I have to use the dial on the top of the body, not the grip.
Ray

From my point of usage I'm using a lot dials on the grip, and not having them BOTH I would not use grip for sure.
In cotrast to Ray, I'm using those dials even to change iso, I press ISO button with left hand finger and turn dial on the grip with right hand finger

Yours Bojan

Bojan Volcansek
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Look, the buttons have no names, it lacks the info LCD screen and various markings as well as many other details. Heck, its name isn't even on it!

IMHO, the final product will most likely differ quite a bit from this prototype. But when will we see a working sample?

Well E1 mock-up and real camera were very very much similar, I'll dare to say the same.
So I don't believe that real E1 replacement will be much different then this mock-up.
However, I really DO hope that grip will be different then on the mock-up:
1. detachable
2. with both dials on it.

Yours Bojan

First Light
09-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Greetings again,

After viewing the new top-view photo of the E-P1 at DPNow, it seems to me that we are all taking this prototype way too seriously. The top view shows that the data LCD has a stylistic angle. I think that such a design would be impractical and wasteful. It looks to me like an artistic designer was just trying to make it look exciting. The same is probably true for the shape of the vertical grip.

Add to that the lack of detail in the mockup. No labels. No doors or connectors. No DOF preview button. No AF lamps. No external WB sensor. No IR receiver.

I think it is clear that Olympus rolled it out just to say that they are working on a new E-pro camera and everyone who thinks they are not serious about the pro market are wrong and should be a little more patient.

As further evidence of this, look at the E-1RS that they also displayed. It is an acient prototype from 2001. Why show it? Again, I think Olympus is just trying to make the statement that they are committed to the E-pro series. But I don't think that we can draw any conclusions about the details of the next E-pro based on the E-P1 mockup. Who knows how old it really is.

jebir
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I agree with Bojan here that two weels are a must. I could not shoot wildlife without dynamically being able to set aperture with one dial and exposure compensation with the other, alternatively aperture and exposure time in M mode.

I also agree with Ray that the mode PASM dial can be eliminated with a toggle button. However, instead of bothering the precious viewfinder space with four symbols, it could be limited to only toggle between A and M - I never use S and P anyway so, for me, they can just as well remove those modes from the camera... ;)

Cheers, Jens.

OzRay
09-27-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree that two wheels on the grip would be a must, but I also use all the PASM modes, depending on the situation and lens I'm using. The professional (P) mode gets used a lot with flash.

Cheers

Ray

Tim the Grey
09-29-2006, 07:13 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

srf4real
05-04-2008, 06:08 AM
Thread resurrection here - so what happened to that stylish battery grip? This could well have been the starting point for E-420 design from the looks of it. Maybe this one is still to come?:D

aicaedu
02-28-2010, 04:31 PM
What a lovely gadget..
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

olympuse620
03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
So where is it! this was back in 2006.