Minimum Aperture F22
Minimum Focusing Distance 18cm/7.1 in.
Maximum Magnification 1:2.7
Filter Size Diameter 77mm
Product Dimensions 3.5 x 3.3 x 3.3
Weight 1.1 lbs
Date avalible oct, 4, 2006
Price ~$450
Sigma Website (http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3281&navigator=4)

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=fourthirdspho-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000JENLOO&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

mckennma
12-04-2006, 11:30 AM
How is this lens for night shooting? I have the 14-54 and 50-200 Olympus f/2.8-f/3.5 lenses. I want another lens that is sub f/2.8 for night shooting.

olyinaz
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I love this lens. It's fast, it's as wide as an old "standard" lens that we all knew and loved back in the days of film SLRs and it's plenty sharp. I'd rate the sharpness about the same as my Zuiko 14-54mm but not as sharp as my 11-22 DZ or the 50-200 DZ (the best lens I've ever owned), and from what I've seen so far it's sharp at maximum aperture from edge to edge.

The manual focus system on this (and other Sigma lenses) is a bit odd and not as convenient as the Olympus system (you have to throw a switch and slide the barrel ring) but it works well and has excellent feel and sensitivity (much better than the focus-by-wire on the Zuikos) when you do use it. The autofocus is relatively slow and can hunt or just give up in poor light, but when it grabs a lock it is very accurate on my example and of course in good light it works fine. This lens is advertised as a macro and that is a true statement - it focuses very close and this is but one reason why it's a really wonderful walkabout lens. The bokeh wide open at maximum aperture is fantastic but is only so-so when stopped down (much like the mid-grade Zuiko digital lenses).

The build quality is just fine and certainly better than the kit lenses that come with Olympus DSLRs and unlike my Sigma 105mm macro lens it does not feature an annoying screw on lens shade but instead uses a tulip shade. The lens is not weather sealed however, which one must bear in mind if they're used to the weather sealed Olympus lenses. Also, this lens takes a ridiculously large filter for the size of the lens (it's not a super wide angle lens so I really don't understand the overly large flange on the front of the lens barrel) so plan on your spending there - a top quality front filter and polarizer will easily set you back over a hundred bucks.

I have been very pleased with this lens and at the end of the day that's what counts. Olympus does not offer a lens like this and the similar Leica lens (not yet available at the time of writing) will undoubtedly be much more expensive, so with that in mind you've got this lens and the somewhat similar Sigma 30mm lens to chose from if you want a fast prime lens. I chose this one because of the focal length and the macro capability and I've been very pleasantly surprised.

Best,
Oly

Atlaua
04-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Anyone know where to get this lens? I've only been able to find it in 2 places, both of which have it back ordered.

James

fcuello
07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I just bought my Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro at www.cambridgeworld.com (http://www.cambridgeworld.com) for 224.95

Even with the shipping cost to Brussels (where I live) plus some extra goodies (circular polarizer filter, extended warranty...) I'm still paying much less than I'd had if I'd bought it over here.

Bill_Turner
07-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Based, quite a lot, on Olyinaz's postings, I've had this lens for about a month and am extremely pleased with it.
I agree completely with Oly's assessment of this lens.
It's a bit "noisy" as in audibly as it's not a HSM lens and in low light struggles a bit.
Sharpness? I've found it to be almost as sharp ar my 11-22 and that's an achievement. It's a bit on the large size and does take a 77mm filter but I already had a B+W UV so that was not a problem for me but may be for others.
It balances very nicely on my E-1/SHLD-2 and feels quite natural. It may be a problem for smaller cameras as it's front heavy
Overall, I've found it to be a very usable lens and a very nice "normal" lens that's pretty fast at f/1.8.

ProAcFan
08-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I just bought my Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro at www.cambridgeworld.com (http://www.cambridgeworld.com) for 224.95

Even with the shipping cost to Brussels (where I live) plus some extra goodies (circular polarizer filter, extended warranty...) I'm still paying much less than I'd had if I'd bought it over here.

You've got a better chance of winning the lottery than ever receiving goods from CambridgeWorld at their online prices. Visit resellerratings.com and admire their 0.29/10 rating. :)

Mike

olyinaz
08-07-2007, 12:48 AM
from what I've seen so far it's sharp at maximum aperture from edge to edge

Let me correct that to add that in real world use I did not note any edge softness, but in some test shots that I ran vs. the Leica 25mm lens I did discover that this lens gets just a bit soft near the edges when wide open. By f/4 it's sharpened up, in the center it's always sharp and going past f/11 this lens stays sharp whereas the Leica is starting to soften up.

I still recommend this lens for anyone who is looking for a fast "normal" prime. It's not overall as nice a lens as the f/1.4 Leica Summilux but then again it's one third the cost and is a capable macro lens to boot whereas the Leica has no inherent macro capability.

Best,
Oly

stumac1985
08-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Has anyone thats used this also used the 30mm f/1.4? am interested in comparisons between the two.

david_e1
12-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm trying to buy both 30/1.4 and 24/1.8. It's so hard to find used 24mm. Even for a new one, B&H is the only place selling them...

24mm is older design and is really designed for FF. I'm curious to how it balance on e410 and e510, since it's a pretty hefty lens.

Too bad 24mm is the widest fast prime you can get w/ Olympus, and it's so hard to find.

I've had 30/1.4 before for Canon 1.3x. On Oly it might be a bit long.

I'm guess what Im saying is that i'm a bit frustrated with the availability of 24mm... (or the lack of)

e_dawg
02-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Sigma 24/1.8 Photo Gallery. 94 pics at 1600x1200 with shots at f/1.8, 2.0, 2.8, 4, 5.6, and 8 at the beginning to evaluate sharpness, contrast, chromatic aberration (note the CA/fringing wide-open), and bokeh, then a photo shoot of a building a couple days after it burned down with some flare testing shots into the sun.

For full screen viewing, click on Slideshow. For EXIF data, click on the More Info link on the right hand side in Picasa. Further commentary to come, but for now, enjoy the pics.

Taken with my E-510 in Natural Mode, NF Off, Contrast -2, Sharpening -2, Saturation 0, sRGB, SQ 2560x1920 1/8 compression, Picasa imports it at 1600x1200.

http://picasaweb.google.com/public6028/Sigma2418Pics

astcell
05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Has anyone thats used this also used the 30mm f/1.4? am interested in comparisons between the two.

You read my mind with that question. But since the 30mm is newer I am leaning that way.

Don Baldwinson
05-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I wonder how the image quality compares with the Oly pancake, leaving aside macro ability ?
Cheers,
Don

gte357s
01-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi, I am looking for a portrait lens for my baby, and my friend recommend this to me. However, there is a very similar one also by Sigma, 28mm f1.8. It is quite a bit cheaper. On Sigma site, it is selling at 420 vs 500. Does anyone know why it is cheaper? I hope it is not because of using cheaper lens inside.

In addition, which one would you recommend?

Thank you.

Alex

bitslizer
01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
don't think the 28mm will fit Olympus camera

you have choice of the Sigma 24mm f1.8 or the Sigma 30mm f1.4 on Four thirds bodies

for portrait though, I think most would recommend the Oly 50mm f2.0