PDA

View Full Version : Who Owns Zuiko?

Don Baldwinson
01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I have had Zuiko lenses since 1969, but it struck me only the other day. Who owns Zuiko? Is it fully part of Olympus, or an independant company.
Cheers,
Don

Johnmcl7
01-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I've wondered the same thing, Zuiko digital just redirects to Olympus on wikipedia and never seen anything else on them.

John

Bill_Turner
01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Zuiko Corporation (http://wrightreports.ecnext.com/coms2/reportdesc_COMPANY_C39245280) is, according to the link, a manufacturer of sanitary napkins.
As to who actually makes the lenses, I have no idea.

Bill_Turner
01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Seriously, though. Another quote:
Etymology of "Zuiko"
The Olympus Optical Company was established in 1919 under the name of "Takachiho" - mythical mountain ruled by the Goddess of Sun which may be compared to Greece's Mount Olympus. In 1936, it began the production of camera lenses and selected the name of "ZUIKO", meaning "blissful light". Since then, ZUIKO lenses have been widely acclaimed throughout the world.

Olympus Optical Company branded the lenses "Zuiko" and, thus, owns Zuiko.

Carloskbco
01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Is that the company?

:smile:

Carlos

mxs
01-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Isn't it just a brand name for lenses manufactured by Olympus? At least that's what I thought all along anyways.

First Light
01-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Greetings,

You may not have noticed it before, but we have a "Lingo (http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=28)" link in the link bar at the top of our webpages (just below the E-330 drawing). Click it and it will take you to a glossary of terms. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see an entry for "Zuiko" that answers this question.

ditto1958
01-14-2007, 06:30 AM
It's simply Olympus' brand name for their own lenses. It used to be traditional for Japanese camera makers* to have a different name for their lenses than for their cameras. Hence, Olympus/Zuiko, Nikon/Nikkor, Minolta/Rokkor...

Sony, Panasonic and Samsung are continuing and renewing that tradition with their dslr's with, respectively, their Carl Zeiss, Leica and Schneider lenses.

I have always thought that was kind of cool. Naturally Canon gives us just one more reason not to like them, as they didn't seem to think it fit to follow this practice.

*I could be wrong about the reason for this, but I think it was because before the ascendance of Japanese camera companies, it was traditional in Europe for the camera bodies and lenses to actually be made by different companies. I think that when the Japanese makers were trying to gain acceptance they thought it would look better if their lenses were a different brand name from their lenses-- even though the lens was actually made by the same company that made the camera.

Eventually, those lens brand names came to be associated with quality. In fact, when Nikon came out with a consumer line of slr's (EM, FG) in the late 70's/early80's, the lenses for them were not deemed by Nikon to be worthy of the Nikkor tag, so they called them Nikon Series E lenses instead.

Johnmcl7
01-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm perhaps misunderstanding you but I thought the only relationshop between Leica and Panasonic was that Leica designed the lenses for Panasonic?

John

olyinaz
01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Naturally Canon gives us just one more reason not to like them, as they didn't seem to think it fit to follow this practice.

I think Canon makes outstanding products. I like my A-1 and FD glass very much and I like my SD-700IS a great deal as well. If I could afford it I would have a new 1D and a bag full of great image stabilized glass today!

I love my E-500 (what a great camera for the price) and dislike the "Rebel" series of DSLRs, but dislike Canon in general? Not me.

Regards,
Oly

ditto1958
01-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Actually, my most recent camera acquisition is a Canon a530. I like it. I also bought a Canon for my wife about a year ago and she loves it.

laingjd
01-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm perhaps misunderstanding you but I thought the only relationshop between Leica and Panasonic was that Leica designed the lenses for Panasonic?

John

Actually Leica engineered the whole camera and lens with technology from Panasonic. The difference between the two is Firmware and Menus are to Leica's standards on the Leica version. Panasonic had to manufacture to Leica standards in order to be able to use the name.

jebir
01-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Hi laingjd,

Actually Leica engineered the whole camera and lens with technology from Panasonic.

are you sure about this?

It seems strange to me since the Panasonic and Leica cameras are both based on Olympus' E-330 mirror box with Panasonic's sensor as a core. Panasonic and Olympus announced an agreement to share technologies for dSLR development more than a year ahead of the presentation of the Panasonic L1. Since it was not until then that Leica announced that they joined the 4/3 consortium, I think that Leica's influence in the development of the L1 was mostly to set the specifications and the design but only contributing with a minimum of engineering (apart from the lens of course).

Cheers, Jens

laingjd
01-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm not sure about that.
Look at the Digilux 3 from the front and look at the Leica M series bodies especially the M8. Sure looks like more than a little help.

I know that when I was looking to get the one I have I talked to Leica and the Tech person told me they control the quality and a lot of the specs right down to the RAW processing engine and firmware and menus on their version.
Mine has Leica Germany stamped all over it but it is made in Japan.
I suspect that is why the price is so high on both versions. Rumor has it there may also be Zeiss lenses available sometime in the future in a 4:3 mount. Right now I'm patiently waiting for the 25 mm 1.4 to come out.

jebir
01-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Hi laingjd,

Look at the Digilux 3 from the front and look at the Leica M series bodies especially the M8. Sure looks like more than a little help.

yes, Leica surely dictated the design and the specs of the L1 and DL3, and that's the whole idea of Panasonics collaboration with them. Customers want a red dot Leica but figure that they get the same thing for 1/2 price by getting a Panasonic. However, I would be surprised if the DL3 isn't assembled at the same plant as the L1 somewhere in China. Most likely Leica has some higher quality components and some proprieary processing units and firmware - and maybe some quality officers on site but, considering the Oly-Pana contribution to the L1/DL3 bodies, I just think that your statement: "Leica engineered the whole camera and lens with technology from Panasonic" sounds like giving a bit too much of credit to Leica.

It is interesting also to see the difference between the marketing of the L1 and DL3 from Panasonic and Leica, respectively. Panasonic has no problem giving credit to Olympus as well as Leica for their collaborations while Leica, on the contrary, makes everything to not mention any other brand than their own... I suspect they try to perpetuate the myth that a Leica is a German product and hence a better camera.

Cheers, Jens.