PDA

View Full Version : The next E-pro...

OzRay
03-04-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2007a/nr070305edeve.cfm

Note the E1 successor; clearly a removable grip. And a few things about lenses, including a 2x converter (yay!)

Perhaps more:

http://www.digitalkamera.de/Info/E1-Nachfolgerin,_E-410,_E-510,_mju_780_und_SWD-Linsen_von_Olympus_3900.asp

Cheers

Ray

tspore
03-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Great find Ray,
It looks like some great things are coming this year.

Hokuto
03-05-2007, 12:23 AM
definitely has an articulated LV screen on the back--and it's articulated to the side as well as up/down.

http://images.medianord.de/erez3/erez?src=Bilder/8783.tif&tmp=dk-M

OzRay
03-05-2007, 12:36 AM
definitely has an articulated LV screen on the back--and it's articulated to the side as well as up/down.

http://images.medianord.de/erez3/erez?src=Bilder/8783.tif&tmp=dk-M

That part perplexes me somewhat, as does the odd looking doodad above the viewfinder, which almost suggests a popup flash. Or is that a Live View affectation? All this, as well as the rather odd conforming grip makes me wonder if this is a real representation.

Cheers

Ray

Stuttaton
03-05-2007, 12:40 AM
That part perplexes me somewhat, as does the odd looking doodad above the viewfinder, which almost suggests a popup flash.

Yes, it definitely has a popup flash. Look at the gap along the side of the pentaprism housing.

/Jörgen - have already started saving...

Hokuto
03-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Yes, it definitely has a popup flash. Look at the gap along the side of the pentaprism housing.

I disagree. Whatever that thing above the viewfinder is, it isn't a flash (IMHO). There's an LCD panel up there (right side in photo above), but nothing else. The front and quarter views of the camera also don't suggest a flash, and I doubt Oly would put one on their flagship.
More tasty speculation . . . :hmm:

iROK
03-05-2007, 01:39 AM
All this, as well as the rather odd conforming grip makes me wonder if this is a real representation.

My guess is that is takes 2x BLM-1 Battery like some other Grips* from other lesser Brands :naughty:
*my former KM-A2 BP-400 was like this.

iROK

Kirasir
03-05-2007, 01:39 AM
That part perplexes me somewhat, as does the odd looking doodad above the viewfinder, which almost suggests a popup flash. Or is that a Live View affectation? All this, as well as the rather odd conforming grip makes me wonder if this is a real representation.

Cheers

Ray

If this presentation is real, there are some good and some bad news for E-1 owners. Good - that ergonomycs seem to be similiar to E-1, that means - brilliant. Bad - the eyepiece will be not compatible with E-1, but probably compatible with othe E-system models. And battary grip will probably accept not BLL-1, but two BLM-1, also rising compatibility within the system. But for those, who'll buy the new flagship and keep E-1 as a second body it means that they'll have to carry two chargers and two type of batteries.

iROK
03-05-2007, 01:53 AM

I Agree!!

The shakey GoogleTranslationBot states: "inserted Pop UP lightning (LZ 10)"
meThinks this means POP UP Flash with a GuideNumber of 10 (GN 10) & it's low GN is for the 12mm (24mm) coverage of the NEW 12-60mm lens. :D

iROK

ANDY123
03-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Like the sound of mechanical manual focusing on the new len's.Never been completly happy with "focus by wire".

First Light
03-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Greetings,

[The next E-pro has come up in the discussions of several other threads. Let's move that discussion here so we will have one place to gather our information and thoughts.]
Edit: The above was the intent but my thread was merged into this one ... so I guess we're destined to talk about the new body and lenses in one thread.

Let's start with what we know:
According to Olympus' PMA 2007 press release:

Olympus says the next E-pro has not yet been named.
Olympus says it "will make its debut this year" (2007) but we don't yet know when. Olympus also says that "detailed specifications ... will be announced this year."
Olympus says it will incorporate a full-time "Live View" with an "enhanced" rear panel LCD.That's all Olympus has to say in writing---but that's not all we know because Olympus also provided these three photos:

4051 4052

In my next post, I'll analyze them to glean a bit more information...

First Light
03-05-2007, 02:42 AM
A careful examination of the E-pro photos reveals the following:

Front view observations:

The grip is separate.
The viewfinder pentaprism hump looks taller (I'm glad about this because I hope it is an indication of an advancement).
The remote control and self-timer/remote control lamp have been moved to the left side of the body (left and right are referenced to the photographer holding the camera as when shooting).
The lens MF/S-AF/C-AF switch has been removed from the front.
The sub dials on both the body and grip has been moved to the front below the shutter button.
The shutter button on the body and grip is at a slightly different angle that looks like it may have better ergonomics.
An external white balance sensor is present and has been moved a little lower (a curious move).
The white balance button has been removed from the front.
The DOF preview button is in its original location.
There is no built-in flash. Update: Photos from PMA indicate that a built-in popup flash is present.
An AC connector appears to be present on the lower left side like an E-1.
There appears to be an external flash connector but no remote cable connector (or visa versa) because only one connector is visible on the left side. Perhaps it will use the new-style cable remote that shares to the USB connector. Update: Photos from PMA indicate that both an external flash and a cable remote connector are present.
The body has the recessed vertical neck strap eyelets similar to some of their other cameras.Rear view observations:

An LCD control panel is located on the top and it looks slightly bigger than the one on the E-1.
The image file lock button has been moved to the top of the back above the main dial.
A main dial is present, giving the new camera a two-dial control system like the E-1.
The power on/off switch has been moved to the bottom of the back similar to a Canon body.
The memory card cover switch has been moved to the bottom of the back near the new power on/off switch.
The navigation arrow pad is similar to before but the OK button has been moved into its center.
The viewfinder has a external rectangular shape similar to the E-300/330/500.
There is an unknown something above the viewfinder (I'm guessing it may be a wireless transceiver).
The monitor LCD appears to be 2.5-inch in size and is articulated. It does not appear to have provision for a protective cover (perhaps it is built in).
The grip battery door has been moved from the left end to the back, making it appear that the new grip will use two standard camera batteries similar to an E-300 grip (and most Canon grips).
Overall, the camera looks narrower than an E-1 but I could be wrong because the monitor LCD is larger and the control panel LCD also looks larger.My impressions are mainly positive. I'd like to know if it will have image stabilization but it's too early to tell from these photos because the camera is devoid of some labels (like the model name) and so it may yet have the new "i.S." badge.

My only disappointment is the apparent lack of a MF/S-AF/C-AF switch. I use it frequently on my E-1. The reason I'm curious about the new external white balance sensor location is that it seems like it will be more easily shadowed, making it less effective. Canon locates theirs up on the pentaprism hump of their pro cameras which seems like a better place to me, too.

Well, that's what I can deduce so far. Let's see what else our sharp eyed friends can spot.

OzRay
03-05-2007, 02:53 AM
If you look at the picture front on (right hand side), you'll see that there is one screw cap at the front and another screw cap on the side of the body. One remote and the other PC Sync?

Cheers

Ray

daveyg
03-05-2007, 02:59 AM
The press release for the 510 suggests the whole range will have 10megapixels, and that the E-1 successor will be in Summer 2007:

"The E-510 incorporates the image pickup technology originally developed for the E-System flagship model that will be launched in the summer of 2007"

Is 10 megapixel enough? The detractors will say otherwise and I'm not one to agree (my 5mp E-1 is plenty good enough), but will it be enough to sway the pro's?

First Light
03-05-2007, 03:13 AM
If you look at the picture front on (right hand side), you'll see that there is one screw cap at the front and another screw cap on the side of the body. One remote and the other PC Sync?
Hi Ray,

No, I think that's an optical illustion in the straight-on front photo caused by the edge of the IR receiver lens. What you're looking at is probably the infrared receiver for the IR remote. Look closer at the front angled view (repeated below with labels) and you'll see that it is flush with the body---it definitely is not a connector cap. Remember that some IR lenses are so dark that they look nearly black unless you shine a bright light on them.

First Light
03-05-2007, 03:41 AM
The press release for the 510 suggests the whole range will have 10megapixels, and that the E-1 successor will be in Summer 2007:

"The E-510 incorporates the image pickup technology originally developed for the E-System flagship model that will be launched in the summer of 2007"

Is 10 megapixel enough? The detractors will say otherwise and I'm not one to agree (my 5mp E-1 is plenty good enough), but will it be enough to sway the pro's?
Olympus announced that the E-410 would be available May-07 and the E-510 would be available June-07. I would not expect the E-pro to be available until late summer at the earliest or else they would be able to show us more now. Besides "launched in the summer" does not necessarily mean "available in the summer".

As for 10 Mp, there is no indication about the E-pro yet. All we know is that is will have the same "full-time Live View" capability as the E-410 and E-510. That means it will probably use a Live MOS sensor. It wouldn't surprise me if it was 10 Mp but I haven't read anything authoritative that indicates that it will be. Until we hear otherwise from Olympus, the megapixels of the E-pro are unknown.

Will 10 Mp be enough for the pros? I think it will be for many if the rest of the camera is good and I'm expecting that it will be.

Tim the Grey
03-05-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm with Ray on this one. The labelled IR receiver I'll bet on being the TTL socket, a ala OM2/3/4... :hmm:
IR receiver and self timer light combined, possibly because AF assist now comes from the pop up flash? :camera:
The connector sticking out the side looks VERY vulnerable. That needs to get WAY smaller, if it's going to last long!:eek:

The large ON/OFF switch on the back? Is that for IS, or the main power switch? I liked mine up the top, where I can flick it with a thumb...

Whatever, I am just pleased that we have 2 fine new bodies, LOADS of glass coming, and an E-Pro that looks like it can cut the mustard...
:cool:

First Light
03-05-2007, 04:08 AM
I'm with Ray on this one. The labelled IR receiver I'll bet on being the TTL socket, a ala OM2/3/4...
But it is oval---not round. It would be round if it were a connector cap and you'd see it sticking out from the body from the angled view. Hopefully Tony or Julie will see one at PMA and they can settle it. As for the connector sticking out the side, that's the way Olympus has been doing them. The E-1 has two.

jebir
03-05-2007, 04:14 AM
OK here are my immediate feeling about the next E-Pro
Although the battery grip apperas to be of the 2 BLM-1 type, it has the same number of buttons and wheels as the HLD-2 (or is there an additional button above the thumb position?) so there is a chance, although remote, that it could fit the new body. Considering what the HLD-2 costed new - let's hope for that!
Although it looks like it's gonna sit nicely in the hand, the ergonomy does not appear to be improved compared to the E-1, rather the contrary, which is a disappointment. There are less buttons and selectors which means more menu-scrolling.
The thing behind the penta-hump, I'd guess is part of a Head-Up Display (HUD). The question is if it is going to be advanced enough to replace menu peeping due to less direct buttons and wheels or if it just is going to display the AF target points as in the E-400?
No chromed details - not even the PC-sync and remote connectors - a big plus for wildlife photographers.
My guess is that it has a pop-up flash. It is OK for me if it is rugged enough.
Live-view is good - and that requires an articulated screen in order to be fully exploitable. OK for me as long as it is rugged enough.
They appear to have kept all the good unique things from the E-1 like weather sealing, WB sensor, etc which is very good IMO.So, not so many raving points from my side. Hopefully it will be much more positive to see the specifications and try it out in practice...

Cheers, Jens.

Shane
03-05-2007, 04:14 AM
One thing I'm not so keen about is the lack of a E1 type screen protector, yes you can turn it around but very hard to see it that way. Connector on the side looks a bit of a after thought too. But really, it looks good, hope it preforms as well.

jonr
03-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Hubbahubba. Summer? My high-school german isn't very good, but it looks like the camera we all have been waiting for. Now the only question is price...

roger h
03-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Hubbahubba. Summer? My high-school german isn't very good, but it looks like the camera we all have been waiting for. Now the only question is price...

Jon, I forgot every word of German I learned in high school! ('course it WAS a long time ago now... :D) I felt much better when Babelfish didn't translate it much better than I did!

I dunno guys... this announcement is... well... anti-climactic. It appears to be a very competent pro-model. It looks like it's got the bells and whistles everyone had hoped for, and I'm sure the sensor will be gigapixels or something... but it still looks like... well... a camera. It's black... same shape... same buttons, usual places... did I say it's black? I dunno what I was hoping for, but I guess something that says "I'm different"... sort of like when Canon introduced the white finish on their pro teles... you could tell in an instant at any sporting event who was shooting Canon. It was a great advertising gimmick. There is no doubt in anyone's mind when they see an M series Leica. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to enjoy my E1s for a few years more... after all, no one will be able to tell it apart from the new one at 20 paces... :D

On a serious note, it does look like the successor to the throne will be worthy. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the actual specs to see what it can really do!

Roger

Padgreen
03-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Hi

Looking at the pics, the Liveview screen appears to have a hinge at the left side, a bit like on some of the earlier Canon Compacts. That would suggest to me that it flips out to the side and can then be adjusted up or down - so it's not like the E330 screen which is articulated for up and down movement from the body?

Johnmcl7
03-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Yeah, the articulated scren looks great - I agree that it flips out to the side rather than just the E-330's vertical movement.

John

Pete Wilcox
03-05-2007, 07:52 AM

I looks to me like the MF-SF-CF switch is up on the side of the penta-prism hump. I also think the round shape is a sync cover, it throws a shadow in one of the pictures.

RogerC
03-05-2007, 08:26 AM
The viewfinder may not flip out to the side completely. It might just make its first move out in that direction, to better clear the eyepiece. Swing the right edge out a bit, then the left, now it's out and clear of the eypiece and can tilt up.

Padgreen
03-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Hope so. Not that I will be able to afford to upgrade my E1 until it's successor has been out for a year or two. Nethertheless, I'd prefer a liveview that moves similar to the E330.

Hokuto
03-05-2007, 08:36 AM
The viewfinder may not flip out to the side completely. It might just make its first move out in that direction, to better clear the eyepiece. Swing the right edge out a bit, then the left, now it's out and clear of the eypiece and can tilt up.

If the photo is accurate, it looks entirely hinged on the left side. They DCWatch site said the same thing about the model displayed in Tokyo, but since it's still only a final design model, nobody can be sure, I guess.

4/3_Pickles
03-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Seems to me that if you were on the "jumping" fence, or were talked off of it for the time being by people like me, I'd climb back on and leap.

From last years clay-mation model, to this now? What is one thing todays camera buyers care about (not that it is important, but...)?

How many pixels? Is it 10mp? We don't know. Might be, might not.

When is it coming? Sorry, a "range" like 2007 or "summer" isn't good enough, but thanks anyway. Can they not at least say "August" or something?

And the big laugher in the whole thing for me, it does NOT have a dang name yet? You kidding me?

Canon sure is a bright example of marketing compared to these folks Olympus has. Canon doesn't have a new Mk III on any stores shelves yet, but they have PLENTY of discussion on its features, and if you want any info about it (Official press releases, complete specs, white papers, etc.) you can get them. Us? We get basically nothing.

Seems to me this new camera hasn't even seen the light of day yet, and exists only in the mind of a guy with a while jacket in some clean room somewhere, who apparently doesn't know what "name" sticker to put on the front of the thing he doesn't have.

I am sorry to all that I talked out of jumping. Feel free to continue your efforts.

Doug Palmer
03-05-2007, 08:46 AM
This image clearly shows a popup flash:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/static/image/2007/03/05/olympus_22l.jpg

Regards
Doug

P.s. How do you think you change the shooting mode (PASM) on this camera?

VaughanW
03-05-2007, 09:50 AM
A careful examination of the E-pro photos reveals the following:

Front view observations:
Rear view observations:

The monitor LCD appears to be 2.5-inch in size and is articulated. It does not appear to have provision for a protective cover (perhaps it is built in).My only disappointment is the apparent lack of a MF/S-AF/C-AF switch. I use it frequently on my E-1. The reason I'm curious about the new external white balance sensor location is that it seems like it will be more easily shadowed, making it less effective. Canon locates theirs up on the pentaprism hump of their pro cameras which seems like a better place to me, too.

Well, that's what I can deduce so far. Let's see what else our sharp eyed friends can spot.

I'm sure the MF/S-AF/C-AF 'switch' will now be a button on the top panel (we don't have a top view yet). That means a press of a button and a turn of the dial. If so, this is excellent news. That pesky little button on the E1 is one of its few design faults. It's always getting changed accidentally as I take my camera in and out of its bag.

I don't think the LCD will need a protective cover. The way these side hinged LCDs usually work is that when you fold it out to the left you can then rotate through 360 degrees (otherwise you won't be able to see it from the rear of the camera). This means that you can store it away so that the LCD screen faces in towards the camera when not in use.

roger h
03-05-2007, 09:51 AM
We ought to start a pool to guess the MSRP of the new E-whatever pro body. I'll guess $2399 USD.:D

Roger

mxs
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I agree Doug that this looks like a pop-up flash. If it's not why would they compromise the smooth design of the hump with just a fancy separation groove all around the perimeter? On the other hand it makes zero sense to put pop-up flash on a the only pro camera in the line up. Maybe they will shock everybody with another pro camera?

Another Oly's move I do not understand is the LCD. So for low and mid budget bodies they stick with fixed LCD screen (where every shooter wants it flipping and articulating) and on a pro body (where most pro people couldn't care less) they go with fully adjustable screen......:?

Regards

Marek

p.s. I must say they all look like nice and very functional cameras.

Kirasir
03-05-2007, 10:52 AM
There is no built-in flash.

Sorry, but I guess You are wrong

it doesn't bother me, if the popup flash will not decrease the water and dust resistance.

RFMan
03-05-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that there's a pop-up flash... The button to pop it up is right below it to the left.

Luc

Kirasir
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM
But it is oval---not round. It would be round if it were a connector cap and you'd see it sticking out from the body from the angled view. Hopefully Tony or Julie will see one at PMA and they can settle it. As for the connector sticking out the side, that's the way Olympus has been doing them. The E-1 has two.

And again Ray is right: those are two screw caps.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/static/image/2007/03/05/olympus_20l.jpg

Den
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
The leatherette looks nice - no more bobbly rubber...

refiningman
03-05-2007, 03:21 PM
What is that green-blue label at the back of the prism, left side? Looks like it reads "Copy" and there is a printer symbol below it.

Peter

jebir
03-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Check out the different shades of black to purple from the painted vs. plastic parts in the dpwatch side-photo. Looks like the "Canon EOS Kiss Digital X" (according to EXIF) has a similar IR filter problem as the Leica M8. Funny... I never noticed any of the Canon 400D owners or reviewers complain about that...:hmm:

Cheers, Jens.

Johnmcl7
03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
I assume it's some pictbridge thing? The current cameras have something similar although I've never used it.

John

Johnmcl7
03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree Doug that this looks like a pop-up flash. If it's not why would they compromise the smooth design of the hump with just a fancy separation groove all around the perimeter? On the other hand it makes zero sense to put pop-up flash on a the only pro camera in the line up. Maybe they will shock everybody with another pro camera?

Another Oly's move I do not understand is the LCD. So for low and mid budget bodies they stick with fixed LCD screen (where every shooter wants it flipping and articulating) and on a pro body (where most pro people couldn't care less) they go with fully adjustable screen......:?

I had the same thought, plus it has a popup flash despite being weather sealed which again was a no-no for a pro weather sealed camera apparently.

John

olddigiman
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Olympus says it "will make its debut this year" (2007) but we don't yet know when. Olympus also says that "detailed specifications ... will be announced this year."

This can be read as meaning that a working version or prototype of the camera will be shown this year (the "debut"), but that it won't actually hit the shelves this year. Otherwise, why not just come right out and say that the camera will "be available" this year (the E-510 press release says "The Olympus EVOLT E-510 Digital SLR will be available in June 2007.")?

Joseph Ellis
03-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Here's what I'm hoping for -

1. 3-5 cross type auto focus senors and several linear ones in a wide area array.

2. Good to great image stabilization at 200mm such that we can shoot at 1/60th or better with no camera shake.

3. A nice big buffer and a fast frame rate - 5-8 fps would be perfect. I know this doesn't appeal to everyone but if your going to sell to a broad cross section of pros you'll need to have this.

4. Anywhere between 10-12 megapixels and low noise at 800 that at least keeps up with the Nikon D2x, D200.

That's it! If they can add that as well as include all of the amazing innovations I've seen on the press release and in the E510 they'll have a system that any pro should put on thier short list.

Best,

Joe

Hokuto
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
4. Anywhere between 10-12 megapixels and low noise at 800 that at least keeps up with the Nikon D2x, D200.

I have it on good authority (my personal tea leaves :evilgrin: ) that it'll be 12. I can't see them camping out on the same plateau as the E-410 and -510, and I'll also hazard a guess that the jump to 12MP for a pro camera is what's been holding them up these many months. 12 clean MP on the 4/3 sensor is a far higher hurdle to clear than they initially assumed, or so my tea leaves speak. The technology just hasn't been there to date. From there on out, the leaves look pretty muddy . . . :nerd:

OzRay
03-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I have to admit, looking at that camera, it just doesn't give me the vibes of being a full blown pro body like the E1. The pop-up flash, articulated screen and the way the grip fits, and the back looks like your thumb would lay over some of the controls. I really liked the look of the earlier iteration, this one doesn't give me much of a warm feeling.

Cheers

Ray

the beast
03-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I Agree,

The camera looks like two degrees away from production, not even the preproduction model. It does not have the flow of the batterygrip to body like the E-1. It looks like the rear screen could be boosted to 3 inches in size if there was no need to remind people who the manufacturer is.

To me Olympus must have had a few designs in the offing and then they waited until after Canon released their "big gun" before showing their hand. The good rumors speaks of 11 focusing sensors (give me 5 cross type that are selectable) but the three sensor button remains.

It appears also that Oly is holding back a wireless flash system until the date the preproduction body surfaces for real.

........and maybe this is all a figment of my imagination.

Randy

parallaxkid
03-06-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm with Craig on this one. I was holding out for something much much more robust and more "traditionally" designed for pro users. The pop up flash is absolutely worthless to me. The flip lcd is ok if its completely weather sealed, but it looks like it won't have a protective cover, a HUGE no no in my book. As mentioned before the battery grip design doesn't seem to be on par with the E-1. And to top it off, it appears to have a pictbridge button as John pointed out. I can't imagine any pro wanting to print directly from camera without running his/her images through some sort of post production application, especially those of us who shoot in raw 95% of the time.
To me, all of this seems "semi-pro-ish". Let us hope this is a semi-pro body (Exx?), and the previous mock up is the flagship. Perhaps they haven't named this model as to not let on it's in fact a semi-pro Exx.

While a lot of this is pure speculation, it does appear that the model shown is near completion. If this is the Ex, it looks like I'm packing my bags and moving on.

My apologies if this rains on anyone's parade.

marcof
03-06-2007, 01:18 AM
For some reason the "P-1" doesn't look like the professional camera everyone was expecting. It looks more like a Nikon D200 semi-pro body. But Olympus keeps calling this the successor of their "flagship" professional body..

from the looks of it, the weatherproofing won't even be remotely similar to the ruggedness of the E1. A built-in flash won't do the sealing much good (ok, it'll be weathersealed, but the E1 can almost be submerged under water).

I don't like how the grip looks, but I guess that's not final yet.

I was actually hoping that the live view LCD option would be wireless, with a "clip off" LCD screen..

Johannes
03-06-2007, 02:33 AM
I disagree. Whatever that thing above the viewfinder is, it isn't a flash (IMHO). There's an LCD panel up there (right side in photo above), but nothing else. The front and quarter views of the camera also don't suggest a flash, and I doubt Oly would put one on their flagship.
More tasty speculation . . . :hmm:

I guess its a pop up flash, I can see a flash button at the left hand side of the prism hump....
but then can it pop up when an external flash mounted? I doubted ... or they suggest to use a new wireless flash? or the pop up flash slides a bit to the front like the E-330 did? just a wild guess ....
The best thing I saw so far is the main power on-off switch, better location than the E-1
The worst thing I saw so far is the button for select focus point still the old 3-point one.

PeterMG
03-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Come on everyone; don’t jump to too many conclusions about what you see. Think back, has <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place>Olympus</st1:place> ever released a camera they call their flagship and it not been up with the best? I thought not. They have often been slow, and this is frustrating, but we don't want the same as Nikon who have just updated the D40, before its even had time to sell. The mock up photos do give the P1 an unfinished look, but it would be ill-considered of any of us to draw too many hard and fast conclusions from this. Let’s wait and see.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

jebir
03-06-2007, 07:49 AM
I agree with you Peter.

There is no way I'd like to use the original mock-up from Photokina - where are the controls? In reality , a useful camera must have buttons etc. in the right places and it must feel god in the hands. The images we have been drooling over lately shows exactly what kind of compromises the engineers must struggle with in order to fuse the new with the functional. Since the E-1 was already a pretty good ergonomic design, the final thing is bound to be more E-1-like than Photokina mock-up-like. Just check out this comparison (bodies are to scale):
(E-Pro from dcwatch, Mock-up from Mytikas, and E-1 from my own optics laboratory.)

On top of that a Flagship must contain the best technology of the company. A pop-up flash or an articulated screen doesn't make it less of a flagship - maybe a bit less 'conventionally pro'. However, I'm not surprised if Olympus makes a Pro-light model with these features in order to attract wedding and studio-type photographers that are not abusing the cameras the same way as they would be as commune cameras in a press office. However, I agree that a pop-up flash and an articulating screen would be the same as giving WO in the sports photography arena. Maybe they have given up that segment but want to give the rest of the photographic pro's something different?

I'm pretty convinced that the final E-Pro will look very much like it does here and a pop-up flash or other things will not prevent me from using it if they don't impede with my shooting style. I could for example not live with a flash that pops up by it self just because the light gets low or because something else in the camera bag squeeses the release button.

Cheers, Jens.

4/3_Pickles
03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Let’s wait and see.

Have been for 4-5 months. Since the clay model introduction. Some have been waiting even longer.

Any other camera maker shown one "design" waited months and shown another "design", and then had their followers wait some more, not only for the design, but for the official specs too?

mckennma
03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I am glad camera releases are not like computer components. You get a new video card every 6 months with few features added for premium cost. I rather see them wait and release a product with decent upgrades for the money.

laingjd
03-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Folks...........

You are in a big panic and calling doom over nothing.

You can be patient a little while longer or there are a whole bunch of options that may be better to your liking.

Canon and Nikon sell cameras too. Give them a try if you can't wait.

Johnmcl7
03-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I am glad camera releases are not like computer components. You get a new video card every 6 months with few features added for premium cost. I rather see them wait and release a product with decent upgrades for the money.

I couldn't agree with you more! Plus a good lens will always be good whereas a good computer component is normally obselete within a few months.

John

parallaxkid
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Folks...........

You are in a big panic and calling doom over nothing.

I wouldn't call it a panic. I'm not running out and selling my E-1s because they're not working now that the new cameras have been announced. I doubt anyone else will either. You could call this speculation with a touch of disappointment, at least for those of us who were expecting a more rugged and traditional professional level of design.

You can be patient a little while longer or there are a whole bunch of options that may be better to your liking.

I agree and I do plan on waiting a bit longer as I have a significant investment in ZD glass, although I think many of us have been patient long enough. I doubt Olympus will disappoint it's pro users after waiting this long, or at least I hope so.

Canon and Nikon sell cameras too. Give them a try if you can't wait.

As I hinted at before, thats what the plan is. If I'm unsatisfied in the direction Olympus is going with pro bodies when its finally released, I'll probably get a couple used 1D mkIIs or one mkIII (now sporting some features that Olympus bodies do).

jonr
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
That is the $2000 question?
If the E-510 is going to be available in June (Am I right?), and the E-X in August, I'll skip the E-510 and go for the E-X. But if the E-X isn't going to be available until who knows where, I might just go for the E-510.

Steve
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
There might be a few things about the new E-1 that are unusual for a pro camera, but how many people purchased the current E-1 because they thought it was conventional.

I think the screen is going to be pretty handy. I was holding a camera over my head tonight trying to get a crowd shot, and I could have used that screen. I was shooting two people fishing last week and was trying to shoot at low angle just above the water. If I had that screen, I would not have filled my chest waders full of water by squatting.

I've owned a body with a pop up flash and never found it to be particularly useful, but it doesn't hurt to have it. You know they wouldn't put it on there if it affected weather sealing.

If we get 10mp, greatly improved autofocus, more focus points, 5 or more fps, new processor to improve speed and noise and image stabilization what is there going to be to complain about.

It looks to me like they are trying to give us a camera that has everything that anyone ever asked for. I appreciate that. I still use a Leica M4-P for fun. I guess the exposure and shoot. There's nothing you can do but set the shutter speed and aperture. But when I'm shooting for business, I want a camera that has more features than what I normally use. There might be a time when I need them.
Steve

First Light
03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Greetings,

I'm glad I was wrong about the remote cable and external flash connecters. It's now obvious that they are both present. The same goes for the built-in flash; but I'm ambivalent about its presence as long as it is weathersealed---and I'm inclinded to trust Olympus on this one like Jens. I'm confident they'll do a good job with it.

On balance, I'm very excited and look forward to learning more...

OzRay
03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm going to retract one of my statements after a thought came to mind about the LCD. If it works well in bright light, then it could be an excellent substitute for the VA-1 angle finder, as it's always on the camera. Secondly, it may also be useful for those 'Hail Mary' shots when you're having to shoot over a crowd. If it's implemented well, then it could be a very good feature that's lacking in any other pro body.

On the subject of dials, I think this is old hat thinking. There is no reason for dials except to retain nostalgia. The PASM dial could be easily removed and replaced by a well positioned button that enables this feature (in conjunction with one of the dials). It would make the body more weatherproof and possibly more reliable having one less mechanical dial.

The only thing I don't see on the new body is the S-AF, C-AF, MF switch - it may have been replaced by one of the Fn buttons, like perhaps the PASM dial. Perhaps by holding down the Fn button and turning the front control wheel, you can enable the PASM mode and by using the rear wheel, you enable the S-AF, C-AF, MF mode or vice versa. You may even be able to program these sequences to suit your personal preferences.

Cheers

Ray

mxs
03-07-2007, 07:16 AM
I don't see how the LCD would be useful taking a shot in crowded area with your hands straight up. The angle between your eye and LCD is close to Zero(unless you were shooting a plane). That cannot be really useful in my opinion.

Regarding the flash, well I don't know how many people will actually use it if they FL36 or FL50. Maybe for a quick fill flash, but I doubt it it will be used a lot to justify its presence on the camera.

Regards

Marek

jebir
03-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Marek,

the LCD can be angled up-down as well as side-wise to give the right vieing angle.

I suppose it will not be impossible to use the E-Pro for snap shots? I have an E-1 but I seldom bring any of my flashes unless I know I will need one. That also means that I'm frequently missing a small flash now and then whenever I just want to take a snap shot - like of friends who are over for a visit etc.

Cheers, Jens.

RogerC
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
This is a niche market, but screens can't tilt in underwater housings, so I'm happy with it.

these new LCD screens can be seen from many angles, so you can see *something* if you hold it over your head. Enough to get somebody framed and not cut a head off. But not enough for really precise composing, obviously. It's certainly not a 10, but I don't think it's a 0, either.

BL3
03-07-2007, 08:55 AM
I was comparing photos of the proposed E-1 replacement on Mike Johnstons "The Online Photographer" blog, as he has nearly juxtaposed shots of the old prototype from last year's Photokina and the latest proposal, supposedly to be available "later". To my admittedly limited sense of aesthetic, the older version without the popup flash or hinged LCD appears to be the camera I'd want over the feature-rich later version. I wonder if it is even possible that both cameras will be available, one with all the bells and whistles, and another, simpler version sans popup flash, etc.? Most likely wishful thinking, I guess. I hate that I'm even posting this, but since Ozray started this thread, I think it has a degree of credibility, at least it did until I started whining. Truth is, I'll buy the next weather sealed Olympus DSLR when it is available, and the price has settled down a bit.

Rocky

Changeling
03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Just an observation from an amateur, I remember a few months back seeing E-1 prototype displays from Photokinia that looked nothing like what we are seeing now.

Edit; I see Jens has already covered this observation, my bad.

roger h
03-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I don't see how the LCD would be useful taking a shot in crowded area with your hands straight up. The angle between your eye and LCD is close to Zero(unless you were shooting a plane). That cannot be really useful in my opinion.

Regarding the flash, well I don't know how many people will actually use it if they FL36 or FL50. Maybe for a quick fill flash, but I doubt it it will be used a lot to justify its presence on the camera.

Regards

Marek

I have a Canon G-5 with the articulated viewing screen. It's not terribly useful, but it does have applications.

Roger

Johnmcl7
03-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Depends what you're doing with the camera, I rarely use liveview without articulating the screen.

John

Jamie
03-07-2007, 01:46 PM

As stated above, the screen will flip out and rotate (probably 270 degrees) I had a Nikon P&S that had this feature, and it was the best thing ever!

This is the Nikon I had:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonCP5400/Images/specsview.jpg
Forget shooting at waist level, how about shooting around a corner!

First Light
03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
...The only thing I don't see on the new body is the S-AF, C-AF, MF switch - it may have been replaced by one of the Fn buttons, like perhaps the PASM dial. Perhaps by holding down the Fn button and turning the front control wheel, you can enable the PASM mode and by using the rear wheel, you enable the S-AF, C-AF, MF mode or vice versa. You may even be able to program these sequences to suit your personal preferences.
Hi Ray,

I found an autofocus button on the left of the pentaprism hump. It's in a group of three buttons which I've noted in the photo below:

This isn't the best photo but it's the one I have handy. Just ignore the labels on the side of the pentaprism hump for the time being (these buttons appear to have multiple functions). The buttons have the following labels on the buttons, themselves:

lighting bolt (flash mode)
"MODE" (could this be the exposure mode?)
"AF" (autofocus)I'm not sure if the "MODE" button is the exposure mode (PASM) but I think it may be. As for the "AF" button, we don't know if it controls the focus mode (MF, S-AF, C-AF) or the focus sensor selection.

While thinking about this, I realized that use of an electronic switch for the focus mode instead of a mechanical switch offers many new possibilities because the focus mode can now be controlled by the camera's microprocessor and that means it can (hopefully) be saved as part of a shooting preset along with your other settings. I like this idea a lot.

But I will miss the feel of a mechanical switch. Because I wear eyeglasses, it is difficult to keep an eye on the data display in the viewfinder so I rely on my fingers to tell me what focus mode I'm using---I rapidly switch between MF and S-AF during some shoots when the lighting is low. I have the AF function also assigned to my AEL button when in MF mode but I often forget to use it (plus it's easier to find the mechanical switch on the E-1).

OzRay
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Regards

Marek

Actually, it can work very well indeed, if it has the same feature as the Panasonic LX2. With the Panasonic, you press a button and invoke 'Hail Mary' mode and you can see the screen with absolute clarity when the camera is held above your head. But with a tilting screen, you get further benefit.

Cheers

Ray

OzRay
03-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi Ray,

I found an autofocus button on the left of the pentaprism hump. It's in a group of three buttons which I've noted in the photo below:

lighting bolt (flash mode)
"MODE" (could this be the exposure mode?)
"AF" (autofocus)I'm not sure if the "MODE" button is the exposure mode (PASM) but I think it may be. As for the "AF" button, we don't know if it controls the focus mode (MF, S-AF, C-AF) or the focus sensor selection.

FL

I had an inkling that Olympus was going to use buttons and the control wheels to adjust Mode and AF when I saw the earlier iteration being bare of dials and switches.

I think that this is very intelligent design and provides vastly improved options capability, such as remote control of the camera and many other features, as you alluded.

This is Olympus once again thinking out of the square and putting to use practical features now available through electronics.

Cheers

Ray

Steve
03-08-2007, 06:59 AM
The button changes are pretty easy. I use a Mark IIN and the buttons make it pretty simple. One thing with the Olympus (the best I can tell from the photos) is that you don't have to push two buttons at the same time to make some changes. With the Mark II you have to push two buttons for ISO and drive. That may be a safety feature but it's somewhat of a pain.

As long as I can change all of the important setting without going into the menus, I don't care how it's done.
Steve

mxs
03-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Sorry, I was replying to Steve and thought he said he made shots in crowded area with a camera WITHOUT articulating screen. That's why I said what I said. My bad, I misread his post.

Of course I want and hope that E5xx will get it one day too, otherwise LV is useless in my opinion as I said many times before.

Regards

Marek

Steve
03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Sorry, I was replying to Steve and thought he said he made shots in crowded area with a camera WITHOUT articulating screen. That's why I said what I said. My bad, I misread his post.

Of course I want and hope that E5xx will get it one day too, otherwise LV is useless in my opinion as I said many times before.

Regards

Marek

I was talking about taking crowd shots by holding the camera over my head and pointing it slightly down with a fixed screen. With a screen that pulls out and can tilt down I would actually be able to see what I am doing. Over the years, I have taken a lot of shots like that when I've had nothing to stand on. That's a feature I never really expected to every have on an SLR. But with live view and that moving screen it's possible. I will be tickled to have it.
Steve

Steve
03-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I could envision myself using a pop up flash on the new E-1 for certain things. If I was shooting indoors using available light, I could tape a tungston gel over the flash, crank it down 2/3rds of a stop and use it for fill. I use floresent and tungston gels now on my flashes when I shoot under those lights and set the wb for the available lighting. It works well for balancing light.

I don't think you would be able to use a flash in the shoe with the pop up like you can with the E-300 or E-330, but if you have a flash on a bracket you could use the shoe mount flash for bounce and the pop up for fill.

If Olympus puts it on there, I'll figure out a way to use it.

Steve

Riley
03-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Im a tad surprised at the lack of detail here
should already know

12-14 focus points
Faster AF, same motors as used by Canon, shorter focal > faster
IS onboard as on 510
LiveView
5-6 fps and larger buffer.
at least 10mpix.
Different sensor than that of the E-400
August launch
named under P series
one of those buttons on the left of the prism in #19 is wireless flash

cheers

Johannes
03-10-2007, 04:51 AM
I wish the coming E-pro with another new sensor (may be L-Mos) which support live view will produce the same dynamic range of E-1 :smile:
I like my E-1 so much because of its color produced, the E-330 I had seems a bit less dynamic compared with E-1.

tspore
03-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Im a tad surprised at the lack of detail here
should already know
12-14 focus points
Faster AF, same motors as used by Canon, shorter focal > faster
IS onboard as on 510
LiveView
5-6 fps and larger buffer.
at least 10mpix.
Different sensor than that of the E-400
August launch
named under P series
one of those buttons on the left of the prism in #19 is wireless flash
cheers

Actually, I would be cautious about "what is known" Much isn't known.
The New motors in the lenses, are the same as with canon motors.
IS will be on the camera, and live view.
But most of what you said is not know.
Sorry.
Don't confus what is know for internet gossip.

Riley
03-10-2007, 06:50 PM
there is a lot of gossip i agree
the thing is this
i took the trouble to look at most of the 'gossip' around
one piece i recall in particular included the E-410/510 and E-P1
now that E-410/510 are here, and it is clear the info provided was accurate

what then of the information about P1 ?
you would be tempted to rank this information above mere gossip yes ?

i do not think that is unreasonable, it is logical

tspore
03-10-2007, 10:25 PM
True, but really the actually E info leaked relitively close to the annoucement date. I doubt that we will see the finaly probody in til the later part of the year. Many of the features of the new camera will have the things implimented in the consumer bodies.
Its not a huge jump to guess 5 focus points. More FPS, etc.
But really those who know can't say anything. Chances are good I know more than most. But what I do know I can't say.
When the camera is ready it will be out, and well, it should be a very inovative camera.

Riley
03-10-2007, 10:52 PM
then by your own volition

you cannot say

Stuttaton
03-11-2007, 05:47 AM
and well, it should be a very inovative camera.

I expect it will have some feature that is totally unheard of. As in "nobody has ever put that into a camera". Remember, when the E-1 came out. It had SSWF, which until then did not exist in any camera.

/Jörgen

parallaxkid
03-11-2007, 08:53 PM
...Its not a huge jump to guess 5 focus points.

Judging from the photograph on dpreview the new Ex/P1 will have the same old 3 focus points. The focus point selector button clearly shows this. I don't really mind it, as long as the performance has increased significantly. I usually don't use more than 1 focus point at a time anyway. I prefer not to let the cpu determine what to focus on.

Steve
03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
I think the P-1 will have more focus points than three. I think that's just going to be Olympus' symbol for focus points. It'll have more than three.
Steve

radix
03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
why is there so many Fn button? 2 on the body, 1 on the grip.
okay, the one on the grip is used when on vertical position, but why 2 on the body?

Hokuto
03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
But really those who know can't say anything. Chances are good I know more than most. But what I do know I can't say.

Ah, Tony the enigma :hmm:
Maybe they'll say more about it at PIE next week. I'm planning to be there for one day.

tspore
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Ah, Tony the enigma :hmm:
Maybe they'll say more about it at PIE next week. I'm planning to be there for one day.

I expect a full review then :D
I hope that you have a great trip.
Try to talk to sigma, I was trying to get more release info, but the girl didn't seem to understand.

James Pilcher
03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
why is there so many Fn button? 2 on the body, 1 on the grip.
okay, the one on the grip is used when on vertical position, but why 2 on the body?

Why not? Two Fn buttons give the photographer the opportunity to have two custom functions programmed to his/her shooting style.

laingjd
03-17-2007, 05:44 PM
*HINT*

Function or Fn is used as just another label for a yet un-named button.

Imagine the possibilities?

RogerC
03-17-2007, 05:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the fn button, it's just a placeholder.

There are wayyyyy more buttons than usual on the battery grip. It makes me suspicious. Why do you really need more than a trigger button, and an on-off switch for the trigger? There's another fn button and a dial. How much time do you really spend in portrait? Is it that much of a problem to go back to landscape to change a setting?

Maybe that battery grip is also a remote for the camera. Maybe that big battery door isn't just for a battery, maybe it's for a remote screen or something.

First Light
03-17-2007, 08:49 PM
There are wayyyyy more buttons than usual on the battery grip. It makes me suspicious. ...
No way!!!! It sounds like you haven't used an E-1 with an HLD-2 grip. In addition to the shutter button, it also has a sub dial, main dial, AEL, and AF frame selection buttons. The point is to duplicate the control cluster of the main camera so the photographer can make quick adjustments without reaching around the camera. Remember, the purpose of the vertical grip is to provide camera controls for portait shooting. Otherwise, why not just reach around to use the shutter and forget the grip altogether?

Why do you really need more than a trigger button, and an on-off switch for the trigger? ... How much time do you really spend in portrait? Is it that much of a problem to go back to landscape to change a setting?
Yes, those of us who shoot lots of photos and must do so quickly really benefit from these controls. I shoot as much in portrait mode as landscape mode and I switch frequently in the middle of a shoot with a moving subject at a "live" event. That's why an HLD-2 stays on both of my E-1 cameras full-time. Even my wife, who is a nature and macro photographer, loves the full control set of the HLD-2.

Maybe that battery grip is also a remote for the camera. Maybe that big battery door isn't just for a battery, maybe it's for a remote screen or something.
It is doubtful that it is a remote. As for the battery door, have a look at a Canon grip. It has the same kind of door because it uses two batteries instead of one. I have not seen the grip for the E-300 but I think it is similar. The idea is to use two standard camera batteries in the grip instead of a custom battery like the one used by the E-1's grip (HLD-2). That way you only have one battery type and charger to fool with. A great idea!

Lastly, we're talking about a pro camera and a pro grip. It should provide superior capability to a "usual" (i.e. amateur) grip.

RogerC
03-17-2007, 10:49 PM
sorry... I stand corrected.

I have used a grip on a pro camera, but it was about 20 years ago, before even the E1....

Kirasir
03-18-2007, 07:26 AM
It is doubtful that it is a remote. As for the battery door, have a look at a Canon grip. It has the same kind of door because it uses two batteries instead of one. I have not seen the grip for the E-300 but I think it is similar. The idea is to use two standard camera batteries in the grip instead of a custom battery like the one used by the E-1's grip (HLD-2). That way you only have one battery type and charger to fool with. A great idea!

Yes, it's not bad, but... If new E-pro will be not compatible with HLD-2, and new grip will be not compatible with E-1, that will mean for me, that I'll have to carry with me two chargers and two types of batteries. The best solution will be to make "old" and "new" grips fully compatible, but I do not wait from Olympus engineers such a clever decision. :( Everybody think about their pocket, not about customer's... Of course, I'll be able to use my old E-1, that will become a support body, without a grip, and that will allow me to have only one charger, for BLS, but it's not very convinient - I also never detach HLD-2 from the camera. I have big hands, and even E-1 body is too small for them without a portrait grip.

First Light
03-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Yes, it's not bad, but... If new E-pro will be not compatible with HLD-2, and new grip will be not compatible with E-1, that will mean for me, that I'll have to carry with me two chargers and two types of batteries. The best solution will be to make "old" and "new" grips fully compatible, but I do not wait from Olympus engineers such a clever decision. ...
Hi Kirasir,

I feel the same way. I wish that Olympus had a standardized pro camera chassis that maintains backward compatibility with earlier add-on's. I believe that most of us who use the E-1 "love" the overall mechanical and ergonomical design and would be very happy to see it used for the next E-pro. Naturally, we'd like to see a few things updated like a bigger LCD monitor but there is so much to like about the E-1 that it seems a waste to change things just for the sake of change.

But Olympus appears to have not chosen that path. They've changed the control cluster around the shutter button and I want the control cluster on the vertical grip to match. I wish they hadn't changed it---but the body shown at PMA indicates they have.

Now if we set compatibility aside and talk "absolute best" then I think Pentax is on the right track. Their grip wastes much less space because it continues to work with the main camera battery and simply adds a second battery to it. With the Olympus and Canon grips (I don't know about Nikon) the space occupied by the camera battery is wasted as empty space when the grip is installed. With one battery in the camera and one battery in the grip, the Pentax design makes good use of the extra space in the grip by providing a memory card storage compartment. Very nice!

To be completely fair, I don't know how easy it is to change the Pentax camera battery when their grip is installed. It may be slower because you probably have to remove the grip and this could be a problem for photographers during an intense shoot with just one camera body and no assistant. Then again, I rarely have to change batteries during a shoot with a grip because I can usually get around 1000 or more shots on a charge if I'm not using C-AF. So Pentax may have made the best trade-off in their design.

James Pilcher
03-18-2007, 01:31 PM
*HINT*

Function or Fn is used as just another label for a yet un-named button.

Imagine the possibilities?

Just to be argumentive: :evilgrin:

If the Fn button is marked that way to camouflage a special camera function in a test or mockup body, why not leave it blank?

If the Fn button is a place holder for some unknown future function, why include it at all? It's then merely a solution looking for a problem.

I wish I knew what you know, Jim. :action-smiley-020:

NVD42
03-18-2007, 02:11 PM
FL - I agree - I use the grip and controls and love portrait mode also 50% of tiem - My question is - I really like the orientation "thigy medoo" that Canikon ? and others ? have - even on review... How do you "turn" your shots... or do you keep them "normal" and only turn for e.g. slide show and when "working" them....

Tx

Nico

"Yes, those of us who shoot lots of photos and must do so quickly really benefit from these controls. I shoot as much in portrait mode as landscape mode and I switch frequently in the middle of a shoot with a moving subject at a "live" event. That's why an HLD-2 stays on both of my E-1 cameras full-time. Even my wife, who is a nature and macro photographer, loves the full control set of the HLD-2."

llpoolej
03-18-2007, 05:01 PM
How much time do you really spend in portrait? Is it that much of a problem to go back to landscape to change a setting?

The reason I like the grip so much is I spend A LOT of time shooting vertically. Not only that, I switch back and forth quite a bit. The grip makes it so much easier and you aren't knocking people out with your elbow when vertical

Michael Meissner
03-18-2007, 10:47 PM
FL - I agree - I use the grip and controls and love portrait mode also 50% of tiem - My question is - I really like the orientation "thigy medoo" that Canikon ? and others ? have - even on review... How do you "turn" your shots... or do you keep them "normal" and only turn for e.g. slide show and when "working" them....
On the E-1 during review mode if you rotate one of the knobs (I think it is the front one, but I'm away from the camera right now), it will rotate the picture in the display, and set the EXIF orientation field to indicate the desired rotation. Smart download software can automatically rotate the picture if desired. Note, if you shoot RAW+JPEG, it will only set the Orientation field in the RAW file and not the JPEG file. The orientation sensor on the E-300 and newer cameras, is one of the few new features I wish my E-1 had (the spot meter mode for highlights/shadows of the E-500 is another).
:nerd:

EVOFans
03-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I really wish i have a grip for my saturday shooting(pagent),hand get sore after pressing shutter button on my camera,will get the grip this saturday.

First Light
03-19-2007, 09:25 AM
... My question is - I really like the orientation "thigy medoo" that Canikon ? and others ? have - even on review... How do you "turn" your shots... or do you keep them "normal" and only turn for e.g. slide show and when "working" them....
Hi Nico,

There are three ways that I rotate the portrait images:

For slide shows generated directly from the camera, I rotate the portrait shots in-camera with the sub dial of the E-1 (see page 111 of the E-1 Reference Manual). However, I rarely shoot in portrait mode when I know that I'm shooting for a slide show (I used to do many slide shows when I worked with an inner-city outreach ministry to children---the kids loved seeing themselves on the big screen).
For JPEG images, I rotate the portrait photos as a group using Adobe Bridge (a part of the Adobe Creative Suite). It provides a light table view where I can quickly select many portrait shots and rotate them in one operation.
For raw images, I develop the images one-at-a-time into Photoshop CS2 using the Olympus raw plug-in for Photoshop. Once the image is in Photoshop (in a 16-bit/channel space) I rotate the image with a single button press because I recorded an action for it years ago. (I have recorded many actions to make routine adjustments as quick and easy as possible.)I usually don't rotate portrait images when I review them on the camera's LCD monitor because you give up too many pixels, making it more difficult to evaluate a picture by inspection.

NVD42
03-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Tx FL & MM

I did not know of the E-1 wheel turn on the cam :) I should read the manual :) Tx for that....

I seem to really shoot portrait ALOT as most shots are family/kids/school events/kids parties...

So again tx

N