PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Quantum T5D kits

tspore
04-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I have had 2 Quantum T5D's with compact batteries, and wireless communication for the last 9 or so months.
I have used it about 20 times during that time, and there are many ways to set it up.
I have sent to Quantum my camera and the TTL adaptor. (In fact they destroyed a E-330 camera, at their factory, but they finally replaced it for me, so I can't complain about that, I am just trying to show that I have invested a lot of time and money in the Quantum system)

Wired TTL from the T5D flash to the Olympus cameras works very well.
It has a fast recycling time and is a bit more powerful than the FL50 and battery combo.
I really can't complain about this setup. Note if you have a newer E series camera (I haven't tried in with the Pan/Leica camera's but I would assume its the same thing) you will probably need to upgrade the firmware on the TTL adaptor's.

In wireless mode, things begin to break down. They explained it to me that the wireless cannot keep up with the signal that the Olympus cameras give off. It is too quick. And often the signal will be missed.
I did get TTL to work wirelessly with the E-1, but not with my E-330. I did get 1 wireless flash to work with the E-330 on Auto mode.
But note I could not get 2 flashes to every fire correctly with either camera in any settings wirelessly.

Positives:
Faster recycling time.
powerful flash.
Relatively compact flash heads.

Negatives:
Wireless was disappointing.
Expensive.
They are big for a on camera flash. (I prefer using CRV-3's and a external Quantum battery attached to my Fl50 flash for power over this system because of size)
usually, I end up getting out the old light and light meter, and just do it that way instead of screwing around trying to get this method to work.

I believe that for the 4/3system that the flash system would need to be given extra care, it in many ways uses a newer technology than the older systems on the market. So instead of using Quantum's existing technology they will have to invest some heavy R&D to fix its issues. Which financially for them at this point makes little since at this point.

BL3
04-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Good review Tony, so thanks. After hearing of your troubles with the TTL aspect of the Quantum flashes, I went the "Strobist" route with inexpensive manual flashes triggered by Pocket Wizards ($!!) and manual exposure metering of the camera (or Sekonic). I still have much to learn, but having big fun with off-camera flashes. I guess there is a way to rig manual flashes to handle fast moving scenarios, but it's going to take a bit more experimenting for me.

Rocky

konoimo
04-13-2007, 01:16 AM
hey rocky i was looking into the pocket wizard route. will that work with Oly camera and a nikon flash? or do i have to stay with oly strobes only?

tspore
04-13-2007, 01:23 AM
It will work in manual mode, just like the pocketwizards an Olympus flashes.