PDA

View Full Version : Chit Chat Anyone Else Ride Motorcycles?

glenbarrington
06-10-2007, 05:48 AM
It is the ultimate photo accessory. (Yamaha VStar 650 Silverado)

But I'm not happy with the way I have to transport my gear. I've been jamming my smaller walkabout bag into one of the saddle bags (panniers, I believe they are called elsewhere) on top of a vest I use for cool weather riding. Thats OK for smooth roads, but it worries me for the backroads. Some roads are pretty bad out in the countryside.

Anyone know of a secure, vibration worthy solution? (I've looked at those magnetic gas tank bags, but I guess I just don't trust that solution). I'd rather find some sort of foam filled totable bag that will fit in the saddle bag. Anyone found such a solution? It would need to be longish and skinny to fit in the stock Yamaha leather bags Say, 13 - 14 inches long by 6 inches wide maximum dimensions to fit.

I'm not worried about crash worthy just vibration worthy. I figure, in a crash, I got more to worry about than my camera!

First Light
06-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Greetings,

There's only one way I know of to reduce the vibration significantly (without strapping some huge contraption to your bike)---but it may blow your "cool" image. That is to wear a padded photo backpack and carry your camera and lenses on your back as you ride. As for security, it will be at least as secure as your body.:smile:

Stuttaton
06-10-2007, 09:05 AM
I have never had a problem transporting my E-1 on my Vespa. I just stuff it in the luggage compartment and go. If I need my entire camera kit, I just tie my ordinary camera bag on the front rack, using bungies.

/Jörgen

*Mike*
06-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I'll second the idea of throwing it onto your back. You'll be hard pressed to find a better option... unless you want to go out and buy a GoldWing. Personally, I'd rather wear the backpack. :)

JonathanS
06-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I spent years riding in Alaska, and still ride down here in WA. Without any doubt in my mind, the best way to protect your gear on a bike is to wrap each component in bubble wrap. No matter where you carry your equipment vibration becomes a non factor. Keeping the shiny side up on your ride is a different factor!
Jonathan

glenbarrington
06-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Hmmm! Anything I do is, by definition, cool! I just can't help it! Being cool is my burden in life!

But I hate the thought of a backpack! I bring this topic up every so often in different forums, and I keep getting the same answer. Backpacks!

I may have to accept that answer eventually!

BL3
06-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Glen: I had to sell my beloved Buell S-2 when we moved, but there wasn't much room for any bag on that bike. My two cents worth: Forget the backpack--you'll hate it after only a few miles on any curvy or rough road. The best moto-photo rig I've seen is a Pelican case, either bungee corded or permanently affixed to the luggage rack or rear seat. It's weatherproof, vibration resistant, and you can even lock it shut if you need.

Rocky

guzzisti
06-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Over the years, i have been riding more than 300.000 km om bikes, whereas up to half of it are done in travels round europe on holidays. With camera. I have allways kept it in my padded camerabag in top of my tankbag. A model with good magnets should hold on well (i have had no problems). But it depends a bit on the shape of the tank. And also, if you are driving very fast with no fairing, it might be a problem. Some models have an aditional strap to tie up front. And it is very convinient to be able to snap it off the bike, and bring camera and other importaint belonings with you. Ok, for many years it was my robust 0m-2 stuff, but also with my E-500 I have not experienced any problems. If you want more protection, you could add a layer of foam at the bottom of the tankbag.

Jorgen

Shandy
06-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Glen, you might want to think about the luggage from this company:
http://www.ventura-bike.com (http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/)
If you ride solo, then you can put the pack on the pillion seat - which should give a little more, er, give, due to the seat padding.

That's my theory, anyway. As yet, I haven't managed to fit the system to my Guzzi. (Not the manufacturer's fault: They don't make a kit specifically for my bike - I bought one for a similar model, so I've got to re-locate the indicators to get it to fit.)

Otherwise, yes, you guessed it, the best way I've found so far to carry camera gear is on your own back!

Cheers
Andy

*Mike*
06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
h: Forget the backpack--you'll hate it after only a few miles on any curvy or rough road.

True enough... But odds are you're not exactly tearing up the twisties on a V-Star Silverado. :yahoo:

Now, if he goes out and buys something with a little more lean angle... then you'd have a great point!

glenbarrington
06-11-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm 57, I have no desire for more lean angle! Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't want to get older! I figure my Silverado puts me ahead of my peers and that's good enough for me!

Besides, at a sedate 30 - 40 mph on loose gravel or tar/rock roads is as fast as most can go. Lean angle and the required speeds to achive it would seem to be counterproductive to both photography and continuing your life!

True enough... But odds are you're not exactly tearing up the twisties on a V-Star Silverado. :yahoo:

Now, if he goes out and buys something with a little more lean angle... then you'd have a great point!

*Mike*
06-11-2007, 07:21 AM
True enough... In fact, 30-40mph on loose gravel roads it's gotta be quite the adrenalin rush! I like to stick to the paved stuff.

In reality though, I just wanted an excuse to use that crazy "smiley" thing. :o)

glenbarrington
06-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Well, they aren't completely gravel! just in surprise patches. :eek: THAT is the adrenaline rush!

Thank God, smiley face technology has continued to advance.

Stuttaton
06-13-2007, 11:14 PM
I would say the Vespa GTS250 is the ultimate photo accessory. It's so much more practical than a motorbike. You have a large compartment under the seat, where you simply can throw the camera between shots.
Take a look at this guy's blog:
http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/
He doesn't shoot Olympus (as far as I know) but he rides a Vespa GTS250 and takes some very nice photos.

/Jörgen

Witzgall
06-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Naw; now 50-80 on gravel, that is a bit of a rush...Not doing much riding these days, but I have done some long distance events in northwest Canada, where they have dirt highways. Gotta love a controlled slide at 80 :evilgrin:

True enough... In fact, 30-40mph on loose gravel roads it's gotta be quite the adrenalin rush! I like to stick to the paved stuff.

In reality though, I just wanted an excuse to use that crazy "smiley" thing. :o)

marsta
04-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I can add my 4 pence worth based on many years of riding here in the UK on the road. Lean angles can be quite good on the bikes I have had (All Yamaha XJ600, FZ600,FJ1200, FZR1000 and FZR1000EXUP).

Best way is to use a tank bag, the magnetic ones work well but put a towel under the bag to protect the tank, it's a bit belt and braces but cheaper than a respray :smile: As has been mentioned some have a strap that secures them at the front (mine does) then if they do move a little at high speed you know they are secure. Mine is made by Oxford and is top quality gear.

I would worry about camera gear in a rucksack and what it would do to my back in an accident and that is with a back protector :hmm:

Cheers
Mark

the beast
04-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I carry my E-3 with a 90-250mm lens in a Kinesis long lens case with a backpack harness mounted on it. On the freeway I can loosen the straps and let the bottom of the case sit on the seat so as to take the weight off of my shoulders.

I have also switched from a KTM 650 Duke ll to a Honda Silverwing "superscooter" that has space under the seat for two helmets or a couple of camera bags. I love it because it is lockable and keeps extra goods out of sight. I put the other E-3 with a 12-60mm lens there.

If you need a long lens case for a 300 f2.8, a 90-250 f2.8 or even the Sigmonster the Kinesis is the only way to go. I have a LightWare case and also LowePro ones. I only use the "others" for car transport now and eventually I will need to get a Air Transport case for all of the flash equipment I will be collecting for next season.

You can see my case here.....

http://www.kgear.com/l/

Randy

SiB
04-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I ride an older FZR1000 sport bike. I carry my gear one of 3 ways...

Joe Rocket tank bag, it has 6 big magnets and a safety strap, it has never moved on the tank. I have my rain pants in there with the bodies and lenses.

Lowepro back pack, I have no complaints.

Lowepro regular photo bag on the 2nd seat with a small bungee cargo net over top of it.

I have done thousands of KM's with these 3 ways, never a problem with big lean angles or lots of wind. Sport bike though so the vibrations are a lot less.

TrapperJohn
04-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Sadly, my old '82 Honda CBX sits in the garage with a burned out clutch. When I was riding and snapping, I built a spongy case to go in one of the saddlebags to keep the camera gear from being rattled too much.

Have to get that big monster running again. It was a ball to ride. With it's six cylinder engine, it sounded like a 12 cyl Jaguar taken up an octave. I have the clutch and the removal tool, just not the time to put it in.

dh202
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't own a bike, but I think a sidecar with a big, ugly, mean, pit bull wearing a bandana displaying a skull & crossbones, would be the perfect accessory!:eek:
Pleanty of room to store your gear, and a guard to boot:naughty:
Oh yes, and it would also stabilize your ride on all that loose stuff.

Now that would be cool;):D
David

Godfrey
04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
I rode for many years, traveled all over the US, the UK and Europe by motorcycle.

My solution was to buy one of those bags that straps to the passenger seat (I never carry a passenger) and use that for the camera kit. The passenger seat's cushion helps stop vibrations. Padding in the bag does more of that.

Nowadays I'm riding a bicycle more, and have outfitted a handlebar bag with padding so I can carry a camera and two lens outfit easily.

Godfrey

Don Baldwinson
04-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Well said
I don't own a bike, but I think a sidecar with a big, ugly, mean, pit bull wearing a bandana displaying a skull & crossbones, would be the perfect accessory!:eek:

David
Well said David.
I don't think you have a dog, but one of your piranhas in a fish bowl on the sidecar seat would be formidible:evilgrin:
Cheers,
Don

johanr
04-05-2008, 07:11 AM
I ride a motorcycle a Ducati monster
http://supertjeduc.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p747419277-5.jpg
And i use a Kato sensitivity V for my fotostuf
A nice small bag and very comfy

Godfrey
04-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Lovely bike. I rode Ducatis and Moto Guzzis for many years. :-)

Godfrey

johanr
04-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Godfrey
Thanks
Those where the days :D:D

OCULUS NY
04-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I "ride to shoot" as I used to say, however, as age has crept up on me, I now need more tripod assistance--especially after climbing off the bike. This new bike (BMW K1200 GT) is very smooth, especially compared to my previous Moto Guzzi 1000SP III, but I still love to poke around on Adirondack, Catskill and Hudson Valley back roads and then fire up the camera.

I am going to look seriously into a more compact tripod for hauling around with me this summer. Last summer, I went to Professional Photographers of NYS weeklong workshop (in Finger Lakes region) on my bike and had a blast doing so. This summer, I am taking a Tony Sweet seminar, so I'll have to bring the car to haul all my outdoors/landscape gear.

http://www.bmwxplor.com/photos/show/24208 (click to enlarge)

Cheers,
Ray

OllyBBommel
04-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I'm 57, I have no desire for more lean angle! Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't want to get older! I figure my Silverado puts me ahead of my peers and that's good enough for me!

Besides, at a sedate 30 - 40 mph on loose gravel or tar/rock roads is as fast as most can go. Lean angle and the required speeds to achive it would seem to be counterproductive to both photography and continuing your life!

You'r not f** old, I am 67 and ride a HD streetbob (slightly modified!), with saddlebags. My E1 jumped out of it once, ended in pieces on the tarmac. Now I use a E3 and a "new E1", bought on internet from a guy who thinks a C/N/P does a better job (lucky me!!!). IMVHO I think a motorcycle is the best equipment-carrier ever invented! A Silverado will do, but you miss the exitements of "near misses on gravel"!
OBB

OllyBBommel
04-06-2008, 07:23 AM

If you get realy too old to ride a bike, ride a trike. I do once and a while, including my wife and my dog (border colly). But alone I ride the HD streetbob.
OBB

OllyBBommel
04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I "ride to shoot" as I used to say, however, as age has crept up on me, I now need more tripod assistance--especially after climbing off the bike. This new bike (BMW K1200 GT) is very smooth, especially compared to my previous Moto Guzzi 1000SP III, but I still love to poke around on Adirondack, Catskill and Hudson Valley back roads and then fire up the camera.

I am going to look seriously into a more compact tripod for hauling around with me this summer. Last summer, I went to Professional Photographers of NYS weeklong workshop (in Finger Lakes region) on my bike and had a blast doing so. This summer, I am taking a Tony Sweet seminar, so I'll have to bring the car to haul all my outdoors/landscape gear.

http://www.bmwxplor.com/photos/show/24208 (click to enlarge)

Cheers,
Ray

I ride my HD streetbob most of the time. But I have a wife and a dog. So, I bought a trike as well (Easy trike). Now, when time and weather are right, I stirr dust by riding with my wife and dog on my trike in S.France!
I can recommend it to everyone, a big rollbag on the rear does the lob for the E1 &E3. But padded with honycomb foam.
OBB

OCULUS NY
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
My old 1000SP III vibrated the lens right out of my Rolleiflex 6003 prism viewfinder, just riding about 60 miles south to Woodstock...in a padded Cullman bag. The new K1200 GT is much smoother, but doesn't sound anywhere near as nice!
Cheers,
Ray Hull

Over the years, i have been riding more than 300.000 km om bikes, whereas up to half of it are done in travels round europe on holidays. With camera. I have allways kept it in my padded camerabag in top of my tankbag. A model with good magnets should hold on well (i have had no problems). But it depends a bit on the shape of the tank. And also, if you are driving very fast with no fairing, it might be a problem. Some models have an aditional strap to tie up front. And it is very convinient to be able to snap it off the bike, and bring camera and other importaint belonings with you. Ok, for many years it was my robust 0m-2 stuff, but also with my E-500 I have not experienced any problems. If you want more protection, you could add a layer of foam at the bottom of the tankbag.

Jorgen

glenbarrington
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Totally OT, but where I come from (Central Illinois, USA) Vespa is a regional brand of soft drink. I wonder why I've never seen an advertisement showing someone drinking a Vespa while riding a Vespa? Seems like a natural tie in to me.

I know! I just read my post! It's too dangerous in this litigious world!

Holy Ghosted
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM

Godfrey
Hey I ride Guzzi's I don't meet many people out side of rallies that do.
Here is a photo of my Baby a 02 EV. This is shot at a rally so it is dirty but that is how it is most of the time. :evilgrin: and this was shot with my FZ-50 sorry no E3 then

http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/photos/203692558_Jz2Ph-M-2.jpg

Godfrey
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/godders/ducati-diana-3040971.jpg
Olympus E-1 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 100 @ f/1.4 @ 1/2000 sec

Glad I had the camera with me the other day... ;-)

enjoy,
Godfrey

Godfrey
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/vehicles/LeMansVb.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/vehicles/850T.jpg

Ancient photos made with (ack!) film cameras ... ;-)

I'll have to see if I can root up some photos of my last Ducati (Anthracite black '93 907IE) and my beloved 750GTs (two of them that I rode for a total of 70,000+ miles).

Godfrey

OllyBBommel
04-08-2008, 01:46 AM

David

This is my ultimate camera bag. see: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/attachment.php?id=120630
E3/35-100. The saddlebags are padded with closedcell foam. The sidebag is only for shopping or small accessories.
OBB

Johannes
04-08-2008, 01:54 AM
My bike :smile:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2257720270_edf2c6160b.jpg

Been carried the E-1 inside a bag mounted at the rear, no problems so far, will not put it inside the side panniers.

mxs
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM

Seeing the driving belt and exposed clutch basket is scary ..... :eek:

Snoocam
04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I "ride to shoot" as I used to say, however, as age has crept up on me, I now need more tripod assistance--especially after climbing off the bike.

Cheers,
Ray

I ride to shoot too. There is so much you can miss in a car. As for the sidecar:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Been there done that. I have a Vetter side car but, I do not use it any more. It takes the fun out of motorcycling for me. It makes the bike steer like a car instead of a motorcycle. (Physics)!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
To me camera’s and camera gear are like riding gear. You usually get what you pay for and what it was designed for. With this said, I would not care to have metal, glass, and hard plastic strapped to me in the event of a spill.<o:p></o:p>
For short one day or so rides I keep my camera and lens in the saddlebag (on ST1100) in a Tamrac 5629 case with a M.A.S. Mx5379 lens case & MX5398 water bottle case attached. [E330 with 50-200 & Leca 14-50, spare batteries, memory, filters, etc.] This case allows great portability via belt, shoulder strap, or hand handle and includes refreshments. It is also padded and water resistant. If I am traveling longer and need the saddle bags and trunk space for other gear I use a Pelican 1450 case strapped to the rear seat. This way it is probably safer than I am. Plus, I can get to it quickly when stopping for shots.<o:p></o:p>

Kat
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't like hard things in a backpack while driving.
I stuff my tamrac camerabag in my tankbag, works.

and since we're posting pics :D My bike

http://home.hccnet.nl/e.kat/images/P2100211-medium.JPG

Kat

Johannes
04-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Kat, a very nice aircool boxer !!:smile:

OCULUS NY
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2541612-lg.jpg

Ciao!
Ray Hull

Kat
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Johannes, thanx.
It's now even nicer after it got an overhaul:hmm:
new pistons and cilinders, heads reworked.

Anybody tried to put a camera on a motorbike on a rammount?

Kat

TimG
04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Not old or fancy, but I like it.

I carry my camera either on my back in a slingshot or the free Oly pro bag, or in the magnetic tank bag (E3 + 14-54, 50-200, 7-14, EX 1.4 in an Oxford), or all my kit on the back seat. I like the tank bag because it's so accessible. Depends on the purpose of my trip.

My only motorised transportation is this bike and I ride year round.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/TGooding/Temporary/Picture261.jpg

OllyBBommel
04-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Johannes, thanx.
It's now even nicer after it got an overhaul:hmm:
new pistons and cilinders, heads reworked.

Anybody tried to put a camera on a motorbike on a rammount?

Kat

Once I owned a Yam Wildstar 1600, run 125000 km on the counter, a factory recall on the gearbox refitted all of the bike. I sold it for more than I payed for it. Now I ride HD streetbob 95. I miss my Yam:doh:.

What is a rammount?
OBB

Johannes
04-09-2008, 09:54 AM
What is a rammount?
OBB

I guess he mean some mounting gadget at the handle bar or chassis, http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/

vonbonds
04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I haven't packed my E-510 since I got it on my bike but I would put it in my tail bag or a tank bag with some padding.

Here is a picture of my 2004 Triumph Thunderbird Sport :D

http://shoreconsulting.com/motorcycle/tbs/TBS_Mags/tbs-mags1.jpg

OllyBBommel
04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I guess he mean some mounting gadget at the handle bar or chassis, http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/

Will never hold an E3/35-100f2 I think.:D
OBB

Johannes
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Will never hold an E3/35-100f2 I think.:D
OBB

May be a flash for scaring some speeding cars ......:D

OllyBBommel
04-11-2008, 05:15 AM
May be a flash for scaring some speeding cars ......:D

Or, we are ahead of them, or we let them crash into the green yonder!
OBB

MU51CL
04-11-2008, 06:17 AM
This one is a friend's Suzuki M109R Limited Boulevarde.
He has just ordered an E-510 twin lens kit to go riding in Australia's far north with. Seen the light :smile:
MANY thousands of miles on that expedition.

OllyBBommel
04-11-2008, 07:12 AM
This one is a friend's Suzuki M109R Limited Boulevarde.
He has just ordered an E-510 twin lens kit to go riding in Australia's far north with. Seen the light :smile:
MANY thousands of miles on that expedition.

They have, again, copied the Harley Davidson VRSC, as much as they are ahead with Olympus, they copy HD, these Susuki people. A shame, realy.
OBB