PDA

View Full Version : Digital darkroom My slide copy setup

goldcrown
06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Here's my new slide copying setup: An Olympus E-330 with a Nikon 55mm f3.5 MicroNikkor (vintage 1973) with extension ring, and adapter coupled to an old Minolta slidecopier on a wooden base I made today. Illumination is from a color corrected quartz halogen lamp that doesn't get too hot. The flip out LCD screen on the E-330 makes composition and focusing easy. I set the aperture for f11 and vary the shutter speed to accomodate slides of differing densities. My tests look very good. I remember that slide copying with film always yielded excessively contrasty copies. I'll see whether this is a problem in digital - doesn't seem so yet. Comments welcomed.

rally
06-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Goldcrown,

Looks interesting - when you have done 20 or 50 let us all know how well it went for you.

Where did you get your colour corrected light ?

Thanks

Rally

goldcrown
06-19-2007, 06:27 PM
The company is Tailored Lighting and the URL for the item is:
https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/19370.html

It's a 4700K Solux lamp in a special reflector.

Yes, wise answer "let us know what you think after doing 50 or so............" I agree entirely. It's not the physical setup, although it makes the process workable, it will be the post processing.

olddigiman
06-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Nice setup, GC. I loved my Micro-Nikkor back in my pre-Oly days.

For batches, I would recommned capturing in RAW and then convering in Photoshop using the auto settings.

In post-processing I have had good results using the free Polaroid dust and scratch removal plugin for Photoshop (I think it comes in both stand-alone and plug-in flavors)

http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html

goldcrown
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I've been using Paint Shop Pro, but I just got PS Elements. I'll look to see if that Polaroid plug-in works in Elements.

Thanks.

tspore
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I am curious to see how this is going please keep us updated.