PDA

View Full Version : Who builds the 70-300mm lens?

tspore
07-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Recently a rumor has developed in which some are claiming that the Olympus consumer lenses are being built by another company, some have claimed it could even be Sigma. So when I received the 70-300mm announcement I asked them this question. Here is the response:
<blockquote>Olympus started out as an optical company in the early 1900's.
We were t...Read more here. (http://fourthirdsphoto.com/blog/?p=9)

JamesD
07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know nothin' about nothin'.
And maybe it's just an issue of language and expressing one's thoughts clearly.

But he never actually says "We build all of our lenses in our own plant."

I imagine that is what he means, and is trying to say.
But he never quite says it, does he?

tspore
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I just put up the quote. But I think that they are trying to say that they build there own lenses.

madmax40
07-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I think it's evasive. To my mind they have not confirmed they are building the 70-300,and they do not even mention that product by name. In fact, it looks as if the PR people have simply lifted a slice or two out of a company annual report or some other Olympus marketing publication.

Caver
07-24-2007, 03:55 AM
He states very clearly that they design the lenses, so he should be able to express rather clear if they produce them or not :hmm:

laingjd
07-24-2007, 04:52 AM
I don't think it makes one bit of difference who actually manufactures it as long as it is designed by Olympus. The design and quality control make the lens and not who owns the glass grinder. The minimum expectation is of the design and quality.

bessanutz
07-26-2007, 06:08 AM
he sort of says they make it,
he first says they built a state of the art facility in asia to BUILD there OPTICS. (i.e. Lenses), and then that they design there own . Sounds like they design it then give to there faciltiy to build. Its PR speak.
cheers

matthew
07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
For many product categories, from computers to shoes and apparel, it's typical for the company to not own any factories. For example, Apple's iPod's are made in China by Foxconn, a Taiwanese company with 200,000 employees world-wide.

I don't see any reason to be concerned if a particular lens isn't built by Olympus.

Steve Adams
10-30-2007, 02:58 PM
even if they dont BUILD their own...they are designed by them to their specs. its like mercedes using another company to produce the computer that controls the car, its build somewhere else to merc's spec. and our merc performs beautifully!

carman
10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
even if they dont BUILD their own...they are designed by them to their specs. its like mercedes using another company to produce the computer that controls the car, its build somewhere else to merc's spec. and our merc performs beautifully!

Like the Mercedes F1 engines are made in UK by Ilmor. Who cares.

jon_k
10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Even if they engineer the lenses in-house.....

If some off brand maker grinds the elements to "perfection", does the coatings, builds the molds and mechanisms and finally does the quality control... there's lots of room for poor quality.

Even if Olympus does good design, the off brand producer could easily find a "cheaper" source of coatings, implement it, and a bad batch of lenses would go out until Olympus found out. Doubtful Olympus would take the time to do a "recall" or anything though. If another company does your quality control, I see room for error.

srf4real
10-30-2007, 05:02 PM
That response indicates to me that no matter which factories may actually produce a lens with Oly's name on it, it will be Oly quality and they'll stand by it with their reputation at stake. I'm looking forward to some hands on reviews of that 70-300! It may very well be the next lens in my collection.

cosmonaut
11-02-2007, 04:09 AM
It might be like a car. Some of the parts are made all over the place and then assembled at the plant. The glass in one place, housings in another, seals. ect. I would doubt the entire lens was built for start to finish in one place.

Steve Adams
11-06-2007, 12:05 PM
well....look at it this way, oly's cheap glass out performs most other brands mid range glass...so I feel confident that it will work great...im eyeing one myself to replace my 200-500mm tamron lens. add a 2x converter im way better off.

DonR
11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
It's probably just like Panasonic and the Leica lenses. The lenses are designed by Leica and built by Panasonic in their factory under Leica supervision. As long as the lenses meet Olympus standards it doesn't make any difference where it came from.