PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Lenses Chinon 55mm/f1.4 Auto - M42

mozgj
07-27-2007, 08:18 AM

Description
Chinon 55mm 1:1.4 Auto Multi-Coated, M42 mount.
Bought at second-hand store for approx. $90. Comparable Zuikos cost 2-3 times more here for some bizarre reason, and the Sigma 30/1.4 for Four Thirds is unavailable at all until autumn at least :eek:

Specifications
- 55mm fixed focal length
- Aperture adjustable from f/1.4 to f/16 in half stops
- 6 aperture blades
- 55 mm filter size

Measurements
Here's a couple of quick shots to evaluate sharpness. Left crop is at f/1.4, right - at f/2.8, center of frame. At f/1.4, the corners are much blurrier than the center, but by f/2.8 the whole image becomes evenly sharp and contrasty. There is noticeable vignetting at large apertures and some CAs, but the latter are much lower than on my Vivitar lens (http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15416).

Pros
- Very good image quality when stopped down to f/2.8 or less
- Solid build quality
- Nice bokeh
- Cost is the same as f/1.8 Zuikos

Cons
- Image quality suffers at large apertures (although I've yet to see a f/1.4 lens that's equally sharp at all f-stops)
- Not the smallest and lightest lens obviously
- Can't focus at infinity when using a teleconverter because the rear lens element protrudes too far inwards

I don't know if this is "mediocre" or "good". It's a rather nice lens, but I have this 55/f1.8 Takumar which feels nicer and gives comparable image quality (although I miss the extra-large aperture sometimes)