PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Lenses Tamron adaptall 200-500mm

Steve Adams
08-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I bought this from adorama's ebay site. its a great long range lens. takes very nice shots.....any questions feel free to pm me.

pros,

great photos, nice coloring etc.

cons,

you need to be the hulk to lug it around...its a whopping 10 lbs....
some purple fringing but is to be expected.

overall a good cheap alternative to the garbage opteka 500mm lens.

rally
08-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Steve,

Interested to read about it.
But couldnt find that lens (ie weighing 10lbs - although found one weighing 1.2kg)
Do you have a link or any specifications ? - fstop, model no etc
Cheers Rally

peak4
08-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Just missed one on ebay uk myself, but I did find a useful page here;

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/SP_Adaptall-2_LensIndex.html

Any chance of a report as I'm still keeping half an eye out for one.
Regards
Bill

Steve Adams
08-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Peak, im still getting used to focusing myself. It has some purple fringing but its really good otherwise. I have no idea on model number, however its not the one in that link.

heres the link to my ebay win....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260139054824&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

double s
07-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I have the older version of this lens, the f:6.9 non-SP. I tried it on a warm day last winter and it seemed ok. A few more attempts on colder days left me thinking this lens was useless until I realized that I was shooting from inside the shop through the open door. At 500 mm it is powerful enough to compress the heat waves caused by the warm air to make everything look blurry.

Tried it again this afternoon. Much better results. I think there's a bit of improvement by stopping down a fraction to f:8. F:11 is good but things start to fall apart below that. At 16 and 22 it became quite flary and the contrast diminished to the point you could see it on the thumbnails.

A bit of levels adjustment brought the image to the point I like to see it. Applying unsharp mask made it look pretty good.

My biggest problem is that I can't focus this lens through the viewfinder. It looks good until you review the image on the LCD. I find I have to use live view and the 10X focus aide. Even then it is really touchie.

Dropped it back to the 200 mm end. It looks pretty good. Slight improvement going to f:8 and 11 with the same results as above at smaller apertures. That in itself shouldn't be a problem. I mean, we all buy long lenses to use at minimum aperture, right?

I'll have to spend a bit more time with this rig over the summer, if it ever stops raining. LOL.

Steve Adams
07-21-2008, 06:43 AM
good to see your trying different things. I sold mine late last year and picked up a 135-400mm sigma. this lens is the sweet spot for bird and wildlife shooting. lightweight, and compact, but still has a good reach at 400mm...

JohnMinnerath
07-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I've got an old 200-500 f5.6, the SP series with 95mm objective.
It is a chunk, mine weighs in at ~6 pounds.
I don't use it too often, but it is a great lens IMO, The zoom is nice for birds or other wildlife.
I was thinking it had some ED glass in it, but I just went and looked and evidently it doesn't.