PDA

View Full Version : Agust Votes

tspore
09-03-2007, 09:15 PM
1st place winner:
#25. Breakwater, by matthew
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/188936457-M.jpg
#25. Breakwater, by matthew. E-510, 8/1/07. This is an interesting take on a breakwater. The lighting is fascinating and is what kept me coming back to the image and truth be told, I started to riff on a Starwars sequence where Obi-Wan first meets the Cloners. -John

#25 -Matthew - Breakwater - Of the 43 images posted, many are great scenics, landscapes and action images. In fact, all of the images are quite good. That said, only one, IMO, was completely on topic - Bill Turner

#25 -Breakwater by Matthew. I like the mood of this Image. -Henk

#25. Breakwater by Mathew……..you can just see and feel the power of the sea. -Graham

#25. Breakwater, by matthew. - A well executed photograph. Not unique but the mixture between spray frozen in air and seeming wave movement blur in other parts makes the shot intriguing. I'd like to know how it was taken. - Jens

#25 Breakwater, matthew I liked the action in the shot. I liked how although it was fast it was rather peaceful - Katie

#25 - Breakwater by Matthew - There are a lot of interesting things going on in this composition such as the line of the breakers that leads the eye into the frame and to the sea spray as well as the well executed crop. The monotone look of this dramatic image adds to a foreboding atmosphere. - Bruce (zuikoguy)

#25 - Breakwater by Matthew - There are a lot of interesting things going on in this composition
such as the line of the breakers that leads the eye into the frame and to the sea spray as well as
the well executed crop. The monotone look of this dramatic image adds to a foreboding atmosphere. -Bhamm

2nd place
#29 Take the Plunge, by ama
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/188675812-M.jpg
#29. Take the Plunge, by ama - Marco

#29. Take the Plunge, by ama. - I immediately felt for diving right in at the moment I saw this image (before I saw the title in fact). Wonderful colours ina really watery pattern. -Jens

#29. Take the Plunge, by ama - Richard
#29. Take the plunge by Ama. A nice abstract in a nice color. -Henk
#29 Take the Plunge, ama This was a great shot of the ripples in a pool of water. It was great to se the different colors in the picture -Katie

Tied for 3rd place
#19 Ripples, by Jim M.
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/187688015-M.jpg
#19 -Jim M - Ripples... -I love the mirror and ripple effect, its really calming. Its actually an image i would put in the bedroom. - Noise_filter

#19 -Ripples by Jim M. A beautiful, simple composition. -Henk

#19 - Ripples, by Jim M. Theme - The water IS the theme, which dances with a reflection of a single branch (not too much, or too little).
Technically unique - Composition is very well done. I'm looking from left to right and back down, then left to right again because the water makes me wonder which is real and which is the reflection.
Emotional appeal - Almost like Japanese art with its delicate leaves. It's peacefully soothing as well. Something I'd want to hang on my wall at home. - AnnF

tied for 3rd place
#39. Water & Light, by Hudsonhites
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/189965331-M.jpg
#39 "water & light" by Hudsonhites. - lisa

#39. Water & Light, by Hudsonhites - Marco

#39. Water & Light, by Hudsonhites. - A very striking image with a lot of graphical appeal. Only water in perfect light can give these colours but it takes perfect camera settings to capture them with this striking effect. -Jens

Honorable mentions:

#38. Rainforest Waterfall by Llamaluvr - Graham

#38 - Rain Forest Waterfall by llamaluvr - I have a soft spot for silky waterfall shots and this one has a lot going for it. I like the composition, however I find that the branch that encroaches upon the waterfall from the right is a bit distracting. The moss covered foreground rocks are a great part of the scene. - Bruce (zuikoguy)

#38 - Rain Forest Waterfall by llamaluvr - I have a soft spot for silky waterfall shots and this one
has a lot going for it. I like the composition, however I find that the branch that encroaches upon the waterfall from the right is a bit distracting. The moss covered foreground rocks are a great part of the scene. -Bhamm

----------------------

#11 deevee Carson valley (Nevada) - it makes me want to be there and see it with my own eyes. - Noise_filter

#11 - Carson Valley (Nevada) by devee- Although the subject in my mind is the mountains,
I like the way the water is used to draw the viewer's eye into the frame. Very nicely composed. - Bruce (zuikoguy)

#11 - Carson Valley (Nevada) by devee- Although the subject in my mind is the mountains,
I like the way the water is used to draw the viewer's eye into the frame. Very nicely composed. -Ghamm

----------------------

#1 Early Morning Train, by cosmonaut. E-510, 8/1/07. Love this one. Many rail photos follow a standard formula, (have a look at railpictures.net and you'll see what I mean) but this one is wonderfully composed. The mist in the foreground and the train on the trestle contrast the power of the CSX diesel and the gentleness of the river and the mist. John

#1 Early Morning Train. -Good composition, nice light and atmospherics, good mood. -Cappybob

----------------------
#6 -Shrinkpictures - First Falls, First Creek -I feel like taking a shower in there with Nicole Kidman. -Noise_Filter

----------------------

#15. Whitby Harbour. North Yorkshire UK, by pjphoto59 -Marco

----------------------

#23. Solution by Snaarman - Graham

----------------------

#33. ALL Wet!, by cappybob. E-510, 08/11/07. The strong diagonals of the oar and kayak as well as the splash of yellow make this image work for me. It would have been nice to get the kayaker's face to add a touch of drama. John

----------------------

#34 Flying By. Dramatic use of light in an interesting setting. - Cappybob

#35 - Foggy Morning, by Camon Crow.
Theme - The Fog IS the theme, and just gives off a hint of someone golfing on the barely visible rolling hills and trees in the background.
Technically unique - Composition is right on with the curves of the rolling hills and the placements of the cart and golfer.
Emotional appeal - It seems there is a dreariness to the landscape, but the rolling hills blend so nicely under the deep fog as my eyes move around the picture. With a single barely visible golfer, the fog is what makes the scene so appealing. If not for the fog, it would be just another snap shot. It makes me wonder if he made the shot or not. If I liked golf, I wouldn't mind putting that on my wall at home, too. -AnnF

------------------------

# 40 Forest Harbour. - Exceptional composition and good use of wide angle lens. -Cappybob

----------------------

# 41 Aquarium Aerator, Pontiac, This one was great because it was creative and it was fun to look at. It has a little mysterious feel to it. -Katie

------------------------

Johannes
09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Congrats !!! :smile:

Blayne
09-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Congratulations to all the winners for some excellent images and to all those who entered some pretty stiff competition! Thanks also to the judges for their contribution and their comments. :smile:

I thoroughly enjoyed the monthly contest and I look forward to trying once again in the next challenge. :yes:

tspore
09-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Really we once again had a great showing with some wonderful talent being shown again. I know that the judges had a tough time with it all, Really I think that the month was an exceptional turn out. (usually August on the forum is dead, with vacations, end of summer lull etc.) But I really appreciate all the shots from this month.

odklizec
09-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Congratulations to winners and all participants! Another great competition! :thumbup:

Johannes
09-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Participation is the most meaningful thing :smile:

Pontiac005
09-04-2007, 04:40 AM
As always all the photos were outstanding! Great Job everyone!

AnnF
09-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Congratulations!

There were so many great shots!

Ann

mistermike
09-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Congratulations to Matthew, ama, Jim M. and Hudsonhites, plus all the honorable mentions! I bet it was a daunting task to pick because there were a LOT of awesome entries! Good work everyone!

ama
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Wow! I'm floored and honored to get 2nd! Congrats to Matthew for capturing first with an OUTSTANDING shot. Amd thanks for the votes and the ego boost!

JohnM
09-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm new to this but although totally overwhelmed by all the other contestants I am determined that one day I will get a photo good enough to get at least a tiny mention in despates. I would like to congratulate all the other entrants and say a big thank you to all the judges who give over their precious time to make their detailed comments which are so helpful to the likes of me. I am beginning to know what a judge might be looking for!!!! A small step forward. Onto September contest. Tally Ho!
Thanks again to all
JohnM

matthew
09-04-2007, 10:40 AM
It's a really remarkable collection of photos, and I'm flattered to be included. This couldn't have been an easy contest to judge.

Jim M
09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Congratulations to Matthew, ama, Hudsonhites, and the Honorable Mentions. Agree that the entries were all high quality, making voting/judging difficult. I'm most appreciative for receiving recognition for my entry. It was one of the first images I took with the E-510.

Jim M

Luke
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Congratulations to the winners and all the other participants. The level of entries was high once again.
Luc

Hudsonhites
09-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I would just like to say congratulations to Matthew, ama, Jim M
and thank you for the votes and comments it's quite an honor to tie for third.

Thank you

cosmonaut
09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Well done everybody. Some really amazing shots.

llamaluvr
09-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Congratulations to the winners and kudos to all the participants. Great participation and fantastic entries.

drakedave
09-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Congrats! These are really nice shots! :D

Petephoto1
09-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Congrats to the winners :smile: and all whom submitted to the contest. :camera:Peter