PDA

View Full Version : Bodies / Media E-400 oly-e.de grip

marcof
09-12-2007, 12:40 AM
I bit the bullet and ordered an "Oly-e" e-400 grip (http://www.edlefs.net/store05/shop/article.asp?EAN=0000344000018) from Edlef's, the only place where you can get it, I think.
I already mentioned this grip earlier, but at the time, the price was pretty high (70 euros i think). Now, the price dropped to 59,- euro and I thought I'd go for it.

today I received a small package in the mail, weighing nearly nothing. inside the little grip was stored and after unpacking, I put the little grip on the scale. Just 43 grams! So the weight addition is negligable.

then I fitted it to the e-400. The grip is very well designed, there's a small pin that goes into the recession near the tripod adapter. the grip itself has a adapter place as well.

Sizewise, the grip doesn't add a lot to the e-400, so it is still a small camera. But now, it has a big plus: it just feels more solid and "grippier".

here's a closeup of the grip:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1291/1364105713_2c14f0d163_b.jpg

I was sceptic at first. why would you add a grip to the e-400. It is supposed to be small. But this little grip does not diminish anything from the smallness of the camera, but it makes holding it with larger hands much easier. For me, it's worth the 60 euros, ymmv of course.

Yes, that's the 14-54mm mounted. It looks huge like this. (and cheapo 3rd party lens covers that actually work!)

delaneyb
09-12-2007, 04:20 PM
at the risk of being boring and repetetive, I think this is a very bad idea. It will stop you holding the E400 correctly, which is to balance the camera on the palm of your left hand, just using the right to tickle the shutter release....
Honestly, these people that grew up using big SLRs with grips just have no idea when it comes to a small OM-style camera ;-)

marcof
09-12-2007, 11:02 PM
at the risk of being boring and repetetive, I think this is a very bad idea. It will stop you holding the E400 correctly, which is to balance the camera on the palm of your left hand, just using the right to tickle the shutter release....
Honestly, these people that grew up using big SLRs with grips just have no idea when it comes to a small OM-style camera ;-)

no, because the manner of holding the camera remains the same. except the two fingers on the right now have a little support. There's no big grip added, only a small rest.
I grew up with OM cameras (and old nikons), so frankly, you're overly generalizing.
and remember: back then many people used motordrives .. which were a lot bigger.

Petephoto1
09-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Marcof, material it is made out of ? I had posted this a few weeks back , interesting that there is one now offered.If it helps use it, good idea. TY Peter

marcof
09-13-2007, 03:25 AM
I think it is some kind of polycarbonate plastic stuff. It's too light to be metal, although it certainly looks like it.