PDA

View Full Version : September Photo Contest Winners, 1st half

AnnF
09-18-2007, 07:45 PM
We have 2 winners. CONGRATULATIONS!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The contest photo gallery is located here: http://www.43photo.smugmug.com/gallery/3389991 (http://www.43photo.smugmug.com/gallery/3389991)<o:p></o:p>
1st PLACE WINNER:<o:p></o:p>
#9 blue - red doorway, by marcof.
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/194401101-M.jpg<o:p></o:p>
#9 blue - red doorway, by marcof.<o:p></o:p>
Voting comments:<o:p></o:p>
Alex - "Why technically unique: Use of filter (lens baby?), contrasting colours, shades of light and framing leads eye into picture.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: Sense of emptiness (kind of bittersweet). Really like the colours and lighting."<o:p></o:p>
Noise Filter - "Why technically unique: Mix of shapes and colors.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: I like the mix between colors and shapes. To me, the fact that the image is not exactly level with the floor and kind of blurry at the edges makes it more appealing."<o:p></o:p>
John - "Wonderful composition with the turquoise and red. Just what is happening/has happened in the space and what lies beyond the door? Even though it seems to be an empty image, it raises more questions than it answers."<o:p></o:p>
greslizzz - "Why technically unique: Tones of light are incredible, good combination of colors and nice perspective.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: You could make a movie around this picture."<o:p></o:p>
AnnF - "Why technically unique: It has a 3D effect. The rooms are exposed very well for a long exposure, with each lighted in 3 different colors. Excellent composition and angle. Shot taken slightly off center so a tad more of the middle room shows, rather than just shooting straight through 2 doorways. Very creative.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: I feel like I could step right into the picture. Unlike today, very old homes had one room leading to another, as does this one. Intriguing. How old is it? Why was it left abandoned? I feel like exploring beyond the doorway to see what is giving off the orange hue in the center room (maybe a stained glass door or window). Perhaps there's a story to tell?"<o:p></o:p>
Henk - "Beautiful light and use of complementary colors in an excellent composition.<o:p></o:p>
He created a great atmosphere with the unsharp or blurred edges of the blue floor."<o:p></o:p>
***********<o:p></o:p>
2nd Place Winner:<o:p></o:p>
#11 Beckett's Creek Falls under Twilight, by ZuikoGuy<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/195007868-M.jpg</o:p>
#11 Beckett's Creek Falls under Twilight, by ZuikoGuy<o:p></o:p>
Voting Comments:<o:p></o:p>
Marco - "the blue colours and fluffy water make this one stand out. Front-to-back sharpness is very appealing and the water flows quite nicely through the image." <o:p></o:p>
greslizzz - "Why technically unique: Perfect exposure, full of details and omposition helps to travel through the image.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: I can almost see the moon illuminating the scene... very peaceful." <o:p></o:p>
AnnF - "Why technically unique: Good composition. Leads the eye from the top right corner on down with the flow of water to the bottom right corner. Good use of natural, available light. The rocks also have texture, giving the scene some depth.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: The hint of a dark, deep blue sky shows that nighttime has come, and it gives me a feeling of tranquility. The soft blue colored water is pleasing to look at." <o:p></o:p>
Bill - "Meets all of the criteria." <o:p></o:p>
Richard - "Beckett's Creek Falls is by far the best. Composition is excellent as is mood, really sort of magical. Anyway it got me." <o:p></o:p>
**********<o:p></o:p>
3rd Place:<o:p></o:p>
#7 One Minute at City Hall, by matthew.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/194088360-M.jpg</o:p>
#7 One Minute at City Hall, by matthew.<o:p></o:p>
Marco - "Very nice infrared capture, great composition."<o:p></o:p>
greslizz - "Why technically unique: Nice composition, I like the idea of only colors in the sky and the water.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: It feels like the perfect swimming pool."<o:p></o:p>
AnnF - "Why technically unique: Good exposure for being taken at 1am. Good composition and details, with lines going up and down, horizontally, at an angle, and curves in different directions. The palm trees behind the water look like snow. The shadows on the left side and bottom balance out the scene.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: It feels like I'm watching a futuristic movie. So much to look at. It makes me want to keep looking to the right where the curved arches are leading. I see no window lights, so I am intrigued as to what is actually illuminating the area. I keep going back to the scene to look at more details."<o:p></o:p>
Katie - "This was a beautiful picture."<o:p></o:p>
************<o:p></o:p>
4th Place:<o:p></o:p>
#18 Pigeon Point Lighthouse, by deevee.<o:p></o:p>
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/195915327-M.jpg
#18 Pigeon Point Lighthouse, by deevee.<o:p></o:p>
Noise Filter - "Why technically unique: colors, contrasts and objects.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: I just love calming images. This one as a very good mix of colors and lots of details."<o:p></o:p>
John - "A well exposed and thoughtful composition. The balance twixt sky and foreground and the nail paring of the moon combine nicely.<o:p></o:p>
It's a bit static, but from a technical perspective a very pleasing image."<o:p></o:p>
Lisa - "Why technically unique: The lighting and timing are perfect.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing:The water looks like mercury while everything else is in sharp detail. The colors are very calming. I simply love this shot."<o:p></o:p>
Honorable Mentions:<o:p></o:p>
#2 Blue Mountains Waterfall, by Dags.<o:p></o:p>
Alex - "Why technically unique: Classic shot. Eye is led straight to the waterfall which makes a number of other features, which could be distracting, support the shot. The fall, sand in the foreground and rock give it balance.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: The tranquility of the shot."<o:p></o:p>
Katie - "This is another beautiful picture. It is so peaceful and so calm. I love how the water looks in a time exposure."<o:p></o:p>
#6 Apocalyptic, by Heron.<o:p></o:p>
John - "An excellent book jacket illustration for a dystopian future novel. The use of an LED flashlight to illuminate the foreground was a creative solution to a problem. Again, the image raises more questions than it answers."<o:p></o:p>
Lisa - "Why technically unique: Good detail in the wall/graffiti while the burning fire is glowing.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: It's haunting and very cool."
#12 Glowing Buddha, by ama.<o:p></o:p>
Noise Filter - "Why technically unique: Zooming in long exposure."<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: This one is original. It kind of gives me the feeling of a moving 2D jpeg."<o:p></o:p>
Katie - "This shot was very creative and it draws you in. It is very intriguing."
#19 Leaving by train, by Luke.<o:p></o:p>
Lisa - "Why technically unique: Great lines and detail. I can almost feel the wind rushing as the train speeds by.<o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: The reflection of the windows on the train is very unique."
#21 A City Night, by Hudsonhites.<o:p></o:p>
Henk - "I had a long look at this image and it grew on me, the composition is very good with a few colors only. Have a close look at this image, at how patches of color are placed in the composition! I could sit for hours at that window(?) and look at the nocturnal pace of the city."<o:p></o:p>
#5 Aurora Borealis, by eppic.<o:p></o:p>
Henk - "The exposure is nicely balanced so there is enough detail in the darkest part, eyecatchers are the Aurora and the campfire. A place where many of us would like to camp. Well, I would!"<o:p></o:p>
#20 Infrared Sawmill, by llamaluvr.<o:p></o:p>
Alex - "Why technically unique: Use of negative space is fantastic, turns what would be a nothing shot into a well balanced image. The slope of the conveyor belt gives a strong sense of geometry. <o:p></o:p>
Why emotionally appealing: I'm really impressed with the ability to turn the subject into a strong image. But also the sense of coldness the gray sky (I know it's IR, but still that sense) and industrial scene bring."<o:p></o:p>
************<o:p></o:p>
#1 Lunar eclipse, by NrthrnHrse.<o:p></o:p>
#3 St. Leonards-on-Sea, England, by Vitek.<o:p></o:p>
#4 Ionic Chill in Ursa Majour, by Garry Frankel.<o:p></o:p>
#8 Night Tree, by cosmonaut.<o:p></o:p>
#10 Illuminated Boab Trees, by shrinkpictures.<o:p></o:p>
#13 Fireworks, by jacalvo.<o:p></o:p>
#14 Is it ready yet?, by madmax40.<o:p></o:p>
#15 Lonely candle, by Pontiac005.<o:p></o:p>
#16 Skelly, by Noise Filter.<o:p></o:p>
#17 Church, by gregmacg.

Hudsonhites
09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Congratulations to all the winners.

I'm having a lot of fun participating in these contests.

Ox Online
09-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Well done and all worthy winners.

assafx
09-19-2007, 04:05 AM
That was another wonderful contest.
Congratulations for the winners

Assaf

marcof
09-19-2007, 04:36 AM
thanks all, great work in this contest.

BHamm
09-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Folks,

I'd like to say thanks to Tony and Ann for organizing these really fun and challenging contests. I'm already eager to see what people come up with next.

Thanks again,

Bruce

anwmn1
09-20-2007, 10:05 AM
WOW!!

These were some fantastic shots. Congrats to all the winners and participants.

Luke
09-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Congratulations to the winners and thanks for the honorable mention.
Luc

Pontiac005
09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
I'll tell ya, I have visited to the other main photo site/forums as well as some smaller ones. Whenever they have competitions and I have seen their photos and even though there are some nice ones, our site seems to blow the competition away in quality and creativity with our photos. We have some wondeful photographers on here both present and up and coming :thumbup: