PDA

View Full Version : Photographer of the year contest 2007

tspore
12-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Photographer of the year contest 2007 finals.
The 2007 POTY (Photographer of the year) contest has finished. We have had over 40 people prequalify in a contests leading up to this. If you did not qualify I am sorry to say, but you cannot participate in this years POTY contest. Soon we will start our 2008 contest. (After a little break in January)

The Prizes -
An Olympus SLR camera- Unsure which model at this time still.
A Lifetime account on Smugmug
A 3G Lens Baby and macro kit
Your choice of a think tank bag
A couple 4/3photo Shirts

Unless you prefer not to participate in a Blurb Book I think it would be very nice to have a Blurb book published with your entires from the POTY 2007. (If you don't want to be part of the published book, please just let me know in a PM)

The Project - Each photographer will complete a photo essay called "My Town" What does that mean? Basically it is a photo essay (Which may contain words too) about the place where you live, or near where you live. Pictures can be from any time in the past, but all photos must be from a 4/3 body, and at least one photo must be shot between 12-1-07 and 1-20-08.
You must use a even amount of pages with in the book (e.g. 2, 4, or 6 pages) but no more than 6 pages.
The book size is 8(tall)x10(wide) inches in size. So a 2 page lay out will have a total of 8x20" in size.
All entries must be submitted by 11PM (PST) 1/20/08
All photos must be submitted to the community drop box hosted by yousendit.
http://dropbox.yousendit.com/43photo
Please include your forum username with the files so I can keep everything organized, and verify your entries.
I prefer Layered PSD's, but tiff's will also work.
I will post all the entries after the contest closes.
The book will be full bleed, so if you use a background please make it full bleed.
Other than the above rules, any type of photography is valid, e.g. Black and white, color, creative edges, etc.

Please also provide the font names if they are unusual. I have a thousand or so, but there are millions of fonts... If you know how to do it, also please provide any unusual fonts. Thanks.

A quickie example - I did this in 1 day of shooting, and put the images together in 5 minutes.
http://tspore.smugmug.com/photos/229633255-L.jpg
The contest will be judged by me, and a few select individuals.

Those who have qualified:
(This is the list that I have kept in the running since the beginning of the contest, if your name isn't on here and you have qualified, please PM with which contest you placed in the top 4.)

Acme|ama|Anwm1|Assafx|
BdaBoy|Changeling|Clifton1055|Crafty Snapper|
dara|deevee|Den|ericbegin|
Gilles|greslizzz|hamster|Hudsonhites|
JBailey|Jebir|JimM|Kentomas|
llpoolj|Lord Emit|Luke|MaineImpressions|
Marcof|matthew|Mick_finn|Mister Mike|
Noise Filter|olyinaz|parallaxkid|pjphoto59|
Pontiac005|Rally|rockgrabber|Skywriter|
sog501|StuMac 1985|toplake|Windsprite|
zbahu|ZuikoGuy|

NOTE: I have changed the due date to 1/20/08

mistermike
12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm in!!! I'll do my best with the layered PSD, although I don't own PS. My PSP XI will save as PSD, so I hope that will suffice.

You can also count me in on the Blurb Book.

Thanks!
Mike

windsprite
12-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Hmmm. It looks interesting. I've never done a photobook before, so I might need some handholding. For example, what's the minimum/maxiumum dpi the pages would need?

You must use a even amount of pages with in the book (e.g. 2, 4, or 6 pages) but no more than 6 pages.
What about the front cover? I assume there is no back cover image (or is there?).

"Full bleed" means the background must go right to the edges of the page?

Thanks.

ManeImpressions
12-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Julie,
I'm in the same boat as you. I've never done anything like this before. Not that great yet creating things...but my current class has taught me some of these skills. I will try to pull this off the best I can.
I'm might be asking a lot of questions though.
Renee

acme
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I wonder how I can do this one as macros... Dirts of... just kidding!

assafx
12-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Hmmm. It looks interesting. I've never done a photobook before, so I might need some handholding. For example, what's the minimum/maxiumum dpi the pages would need?

What about the front cover? I assume there is no back cover image (or is there?).

"Full bleed" means the background must go right to the edges of the page?

Thanks.

as far as i know (we publish archeology books at work) 300DPI is what you need.
for the rest i have the same questions, especially what is full bleed?
do we make our own book pages? (just to make sure i got it right).

another point that is not covered and since most of our shots were taken in our town/city. can we use old contest shots? i prefer not to but i just want to make sure what is the rule.

and to finalize things (i swear i'm not a lawyer) is there a radius we should focus on? since jerusalem is quite decent in size (700,000 people).

thanks and i'll try to do my best.
Assaf

mick_finn
12-09-2007, 03:23 AM
I'm a bit confused about this too. With the example given it sounds more like a layout than a photo competition..? :dontknow:

Will just a series of photos suffice as a photo essay? That is 2-6 photos that tell a story about 'My home town'?

BHamm
12-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Tony will probably pop by to answer some questions definitively however here's what I gather:

- full bleed means that either the photo or the background on which the photo is placed extends to the edges of the page.

- given Tony's sample image, it look as though we are to design the pages of our submission.

- 300 dpi would be a safe bet, although it could vary slighly depending upon the printer that Tony is using.

- This is going to be a lot of fun...

Thanks again for your efforts Tony. It is really appreciated.

Bruce

Gilles
12-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Hello,

This is an interesting challenge indeed. Count me in. I have several questions just to better know how to comply with the rules.

Are there rules for number of pictures ?

Do we need to adjust the colors for a specific profile ? Are pictures set for screen or paper ? (Think about the reduced gamut of printable colors)

I have Photoshop 6 which does not incorporates EXIF data, how will I confirm I have shot them with a Four Thirds body ?

Does text need to be in English ?

If I live in a rural area near a small town, will I be dismissed if I published woodlands or alfafa fields photographs which surrounds me for example ?

jebir
12-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the invitation Tony,

I really appreciate all the effort you and Ann put into this contest, and I have been very curious about this final assignment.

However, I regret to say that I most likely will have to give this a WO. With all comitments at work, at home, and away before Christmas and then a long trip starting the 26th, I'll not not have enough time left to make a submission worthy those fabulous prizes.

I wish everybody Good Luck and: May the best man/woman win!

Cheers, Jens.

rockgrabber
12-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm really excited about this contest, and have some ideas for it that will hopefully work. I do have a few questions though.

1-Is this purely a photo essay with words that reinforce the pictures, or can it be a mini-article with pictures? My article would only take up maybe a page, and the rest would be pictures.

2-Count me in for the Blurb-Book, sounds like a great idea. My concern is designing a page for the book. Do we need to use the Blurb-Book software for the overall layout, or can we use PSP or PS? (The layout I have in mind is similar to National Geographic in style; no multiple images per page or anything.) My skill in this area is lacking, so any help would be nice.

3-This was mentioned by mick finn, and I just wanted to double check. Will people with poor layout skills (me) be judged differently by the judges? I know that sounds very childish and petty, especially in a contest as subjective as this. I just wanted to see what type of criteria the judges would be looking for.

I'm not trying to complain, I just want to know the best way for me to compete in the contest. Good luck to the other competitors and thanks to Tony for putting all of this together,
Cameron

tspore
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
And now my massive reply - I will try to gather into this reply everything that I have gotten so far. Please ask again if I skip it, like always.

3. I have ever try before to make a photo book but i only use MS Publisher, but i have never try with PS before, Could you please give me some or basic ways to process in PS?
You can use Publisher, but I have never used that program for this type of work.

1-Is this purely a photo essay with words that reinforce the pictures, or can it be a mini-article with pictures? My article would only take up maybe a page, and the rest would be pictures.
It is open ended you have to use your own creativity. There should be a major focus on pictures over words.

2-Count me in for the Blurb-Book, sounds like a great idea. My concern is designing a page for the book. Do we need to use the Blurb-Book software for the overall layout, or can we use PSP or PS? (The layout I have in mind is similar to National Geographic in style; no multiple images per page or anything.) My skill in this area is lacking, so any help would be nice.
You should lay out the project in a separate application.
Here is how I would recommend that you do it. Make a 8" high by 10" wide Document at 300 DPI, next add in pictures, text and backgrounds (if you so choose) next take that document, and upload it to me though the drop box.
You can use any application to create it, but I prefer of course PS, PSE, PSP. IF you can save the document in layers. So don't export it as jpeg's. (In case I need to make some changes.) Include your name on the corner of each page, to help me keep it in order.

3-This was mentioned by mick finn, and I just wanted to double check. Will people with poor layout skills (me) be judged differently by the judges? I know that sounds very childish and petty, especially in a contest as subjective as this. I just wanted to see what type of criteria the judges would be looking for.
For the most part, I am not planing on bringing in many judges. It will be a very subjective contest. So give it your best.

Are there rules for number of pictures ?
No just use even amount of pages.

Do we need to adjust the colors for a specific profile ? Are pictures set for screen or paper ? (Think about the reduced gamut of printable colors)
Just keep it constant I would recommend sRGB.

I have Photoshop 6 which does not incorporates EXIF data, how will I confirm I have shot them with a Four Thirds body ?
I understand, and really in some cases there will be a trust factor for this contest.

Does text need to be in English ?
I would say yes about english, it is the most common language on the forum.

If I live in a rural area near a small town, will I be dismissed if I published woodlands or alfafa fields photographs which surrounds me for example ?
I think that would be nice. The purpose is to show where you life, be it city of small town. Its an attempt to truly show off a bit about the make up of this community.

- full bleed means that either the photo or the background on which the photo is placed extends to the edges of the page.
- given Tony's sample image, it look as though we are to design the pages of our submission.
- 300 dpi would be a safe bet, although it could vary slighly depending upon the printer that Tony is using.
- This is going to be a lot of fun...
Thanks again for your efforts Tony. It is really appreciated.
You are correct. Usually in print material a real full bleed will be an extra 1/8 on all sides. But please design it your selves. You guys are the photographers, writers, and editors.

I'm a bit confused about this too. With the example given it sounds more like a layout than a photo competition..?
Will just a series of photos suffice as a photo essay? That is 2-6 photos that tell a story about 'My home town'?
We have gathered some great prizes to help spur on this competition. So it is much more than just 2-6 photos. In theory you can place 6 photos on a page if you like. (Keeping in mind that you don't want them to small.) A series of photos would be fine if that is what you choose. I would definitely put more work into the photos than the writing, but no matter what you need to A. tell us where you live. and B. Explain the photos.

do we make our own book pages? (just to make sure i got it right).
I would prefer to put it all together myself. You just lay out the pages. 8x10x300 dpi.

another point that is not covered and since most of our shots were taken in our town/city. can we use old contest shots? i prefer not to but i just want to make sure what is the rule.
Good question. I would prefer not. But I am not going to scan through all of the old photos to check.

and to finalize things (i swear i'm not a lawyer) is there a radius we should focus on? since jerusalem is quite decent in size (700,000 people).
Its really up to you. In my example the sheep shoot is about 15 miles from my house. The train 2 miles.

I wonder how I can do this one as macros... Dirts of... just kidding! I think that would be.... um.... :dontknow:

I'm might be asking a lot of questions though.
As you guys have questions please either PM me or put them in this thread. If in a PM I will most likely post general info here.

Don't worry about that. I will put all of it together, Probably a winning photo on the cover, or maybe my ugly mug... Who knows.

I'm in!!! I'll do my best with the layered PSD, although I don't own PS. My PSP XI will save as PSD, so I hope that will suffice.
PSP will be fine.

Luke
12-09-2007, 12:28 PM
This is something I would really enjoy. But as I will be very occupied I will not be able to participate :no:.
I wish all contestants the best of luck and I am looking forward to their entries.

Luc

... Of course as we note the date "day/month/year" this "All entries must be submitted by 11PM (PST) 1/7/08" gives me time until the first of July 2008 . . . :naughty: :evilgrin: ;)

mick_finn
12-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Thank you Tony for your extensive answer, that cleared out a lot of things. As I'm sure all other here, I really appreciate the effort you guys put into this wonderful site and the real value that a competition like this gives to an amateur such as I.

So I'll try to dust off some latent layout genes and sharpen my pencil, and really try to bring out the capacity of photography to tie together various element and create a narrative.

Thank you for the challenge, I'll try to make myself up for it :action-smiley-020:

marcof
12-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Uhm... can't we just deliver images instead of page designs?

I think it is nicer if a book has one (elegant) design, instead of lots of different (and probably conflicting) designs!?

stumac1985
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Uhm... can't we just deliver images instead of page designs?

I think it is nicer if a book has one (elegant) design, instead of lots of different (and probably conflicting) designs!?

I have just been discussing this with my dad (Kentomas) and I hope he doesnt mind me speaking for him, but we both agree with this.

acme
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM
We may be witnessing something of an insurrection here. There is no doubt that publishing and layout knowledge are necessary skills for a professional photographer these days, but most of us aren't. Ability to invest the kind of time necessary to do a good job of the contest's demands is also not a given, so we've seen a number of people bow out.

Myself, I also have concerns about the scope of the project. I've looked over my images from the year and tried to come up with a compilation that was technically credible yet didn't look like a travel brochure, and it's been hard to find anything satisfying. In some ways I think I'd be better served if I lived in a small town that could be more readily summed up by a few images. I'm also slightly miffed that the project will greatly favour certain kinds of photography (street, landscape, architectural), and certain equipment (primarily wides).

I'd be happier to "let things ride" on, say, four images from the year, in any theme, submitted in the 5-plus megapixel (uncropped or slightly cropped) range.

mistermike
12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, I was trying to be the good boy and go along (and still will if Tony holds his ground - I ask your forgiveness in advance for any hack you see me present) but I have to admit that I think the scope of this project is more in line with publishing than photography. :nerd: There, I said it. I don't feel any better, but I don't feel any worse either. A simple photo essay similar to what Tony presented in the Spotlight thread, http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19676 , with, say, two, four, or six photos and a suggested word-count limit would be fair to everyone that is eligible. Just a suggestion FWIW. :action-smiley-020:

matthew
12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Count me as a counter-revolutionary. We've known all along that the final challenge would be a photo essay, and layout and sequencing is a vital part of that. We can no longer simply take and post our favourite photo. The challenge of an essay is that the strongest photo may not make the strongest series: composition, colour, and context must all be taken into account. There is no one-size-fits-all solution that will create an acceptable layout for everyone. Yes, this is an advanced skill set and a demanding project -- I wouldn't expect to win a camera or a camera bag for taking a single photo of a fountain or a breaking wave.

I'm also slightly miffed that the project will greatly favour certain kinds of photography (street, landscape, architectural), and certain equipment (primarily wides).

We are more limited by our imagination than our equipment. There is no formula for a winning image, and certainly no single technique or lens that will create a series. The point of an essay, especially one with so broad a theme, is that no one-trick-pony will make it.

acme
12-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Count me as a counter-revolutionary. We've known all along that the final challenge would be a photo essay, and layout and sequencing is a vital part of that.

How long was that?

Anyway, I don't object strenuously to it being an essay myself. Just that the theme is quite narrow. "My town" doesn't easily sum up in a couple pages, nor is the style demanded by this theme very much my forté. It would be someone's, though, I have no doubt.

stumac1985
12-11-2007, 01:09 AM
As much as I dislike the idea of the final project being done in this way I have submitted my entry. The way I see it is its a 'photographer of the year' competition and this final asks for more than just being the best photographer.

Though I also think there is very little point in us all moaning about it and should just get on and do it (infact I went out yesterday and completed my hptographs for this and submitted my entry at 1am this morning). It is not difficult to produce a layout, I have taken the attitude of 'I'm no good at this kind of thing so I'll keep it simple' and even if I do say so myself, I think it looks pretty good.

So what I am saying is, I dont like it, but this is whats been decided so if we want to submit an entry to the final project we all worked hard to qualify for, well then we just have to get on and do it!

jebir
12-11-2007, 02:14 AM
I like your attitude Stumac.

If those who has the time does their best in this final, even if they don't feel comfortable with the theme or technique, maybe there will be another corresponding POTY final for 2008 where other assets of each individual will be required.

Cheers, Jens.

rally
12-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Tony,

If someone wanted to do a two page adjoining layout then the starting page order would need to be set or known in advance.

So can we specify the starting page to be Left ?
. . . or how did you intend to lay it out ?

Thanks Rally

Noise_Filter
12-11-2007, 05:28 AM
So what I am saying is, I dont like it, but this is whats been decided so if we want to submit an entry to the final project we all worked hard to qualify for, well then we just have to get on and do it!

NOW HERES A WINNER ATTITUDE.
:worship::thumbup:

Lets get busy baby.
http://www.spauda.lt/nr15int/computer.gif

LordEmit
12-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Firstly:

rally,

to answer your question, I believe each pair of pages you get will be facing pages - I believe that's the whole reason that the entries must be even number (2, 4 or 6 pages) and why Tony said that the area to work with will be 8"high x 20" wide. I'm sure Tony will clarify if I'm wrong.

Secondly:

I'm probably about to make this post fairly long, but I can't quite understand why some people would have objections to this type of thing, so I want to try and make some points and offer a few opinions/ideas to those who don't like the idea:

There are 42 people in this potentially - so far I've only seen 5 or so objecting and 2 have pulled out, but those who had to pull out have done so in a very gracious and 'non-disgruntled' manner I think. So I image most people are still probably cool with the whole idea.

There cannot be one standard layout for everyone - this is not a book of photos - it is a book of photo essays - each entry in the book is a 2-6 page presentation, and the whole point is that each one be unique - all having a common layout would destroy half the point of the thing.

You don't need to be a pro to do this - you only need to try and find a bit of creativity. Most people here who's photos I've seen already proove they have that by the photos they take.

You don't need heaps of time - maybe more time is better if you really want to get serious and try to win, but still more importantly would be just to have a go I reckon. Tony provided an example which only took 1 day of shooting and 5 minutes to layout - this was a 2 page layout, which is all it has to be. Given that you only have to use 1 photo taken this month, and you can use any from the past, that would make shooting time even less possibly - I'm sure most people on here would have to have some photos in their collections already of the place where they live.

I think the scope of the theme is quite large, there are many creative types of pics. and ways to represent things about your town that you could come up with.

If you live in a big city, then maybe finding a way to represent it with only a few pics, or maybe just finding two 'things' which really represent the town and can in-turn be represented with photos is part of the creative challenge. Maybe regardless of the size of your place, the challange is in finding how to represent the whole place in just a few pages, or maybe instead chosing to represent the best aspect of viewpoint of it.

I don't think this really favours certain types of photography too much. Sure, it could be landscapes and architecture, but why not think of how some pics of people could be used to show your town by showing the people it's made up of etc. (for example) - even you could take some macro pics to represent your town by the unique plants or insects in it etc. You could start to become less relevant to the topic like this if not careful of course, but it would still be creative if done right.

Besides the above point, most photographers, even if they specialise in certain types of shooting, should still be able to take other styles of shots sometimes - having ability to be versatile and extend your range is always good.

By the same token I don't think certain equipment is really favoured either - you could represent your town completely in close tele shots with big impact, or in wide shots, or in a mixture of anything.

I also don't really think it's more inline with publishing than photography. Remember, it's not an 'essay with photographs' - it's a 'photographic essay', of which the photos are still the main part. Also remember you don't have to get complex - it only has to be simple.

Some people may submit very complex and sophisticated design and layouts, which may give them an advantage. But others will do something simple, and with both photography and layout and design in general, simple things can often be the best and have the most impact in many ways. So everyone's in with a fair chance whichever way they go I think.

The theme is not really narrow IMHO, there are many many ways you could choose to represent the place you live, and many varied types of pics you could chose to do it, from landscapes and nature, to architecture or people, or creative and abstract views of things to documentary style stuff etc.

The style demanded for this comp - or any comp - will never suit everyone who enters - can't please all the people all the time etc.

The whole point of competitions like this IMHO, is to inspire and challenge people. A big part of this, and what is good about having themes or certain requirements to meet, is that it makes people try something in an area they would not usually try - anything that makes you try to expand your skills and your thinking and creativity etc. is always good, and can also inspire you in the areas that you usually do work in, in ways you may not realise until it happens.

Both 'matthew' and 'stumac' made some very good points in their respones too.

Personally, I'm a newbie on this site. I'm also new to serious digital photography and four thirds cameras and also to competitions etc.

I find this whole comp (even though I've only been here since last month) to be great. Even in the two entries I've put in so far, I have been inspired and motivated in a way that I never really have before with my photography (esp. given that I've never done comps or professional work before).

What I've gotten out of this comp just in the last month or so has been great, and really given me new inspiration and encouragement with my photography.

I am really looking forward to having a go at this comp - I'm not a brilliant photographer, and not very creative, and never done something like this before, but I love the idea of the challenge it presents and it motivates me to really try the best I can to create something. I think the idea that I'll be able to get a book with my work in it along with other people's great work is also rather exciting.

Being new, I don't know all of who's involved around here, but Tony and Ann seem to be the main ones to do these comps, so big thanks go to them and anyone else involved for such a great effort all the way through, just as other people have said.

Hopefully my comments will not cause more arguments or confusion etc., but may help some people who might have the wrong idea/understanding of the comp. (causing them to see it as negative) to realise it's not really like that. Maybe even given a few ideas to people as to the scope of things that could be done. (Of course I'm hoping that I have the right idea and understanding of it myself, in saying all this lol ;-)

Thanks,

Steve.

Dara
12-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Why don't we do our part to the best? :dontknow:

Because this is the way to be a good photographer in the first place.

tspore
12-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry Guys, I have been out of town all of last week and even the first part of this week. Really here is the purpose again. Really for a end of year project should in my opinion be more than just a couple shots really it should show the community, and the make up of those people. It really needs to be a challenge and really I have spend hours and weeks working to gather prizes for this, and the monetary value too is great.

So I am not asking you all to write a journal entry, but instead a photo essay a few pages with a few images, and a few words. you can see from my quick example a small bit about my town. It will be difficult to sum it all up into a few pages, but doable.

As for the small up rise - I have had a few of those here. In face more than a normal amount. Those are fine I have harbored them more than other sites, and I really do enjoy feedback. But from time to time things will not change. I already have the first entry, and have no plans to change the competition. I have kept it fairly open ended. I have said from the beginning that it would be a photo essay, so that should not be new here.

Really don't write a ton, I personally don't want to read a ton of stuff, think of this more as a entry into lens work than into national geographic.

IF you need help with this either in the forum I can help, pm's or email. But all in all have fun.

acme
12-11-2007, 11:24 PM
As for the small up rise ... But all in all have fun.

Thanks for the tactful response! I'll try to come up with something, but ya know I gotta try to bend the rules at least a little.

kentomas
12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
As Stumac's father, I find myself agreeing and empathising with his comments and statements. I, also, hope to manage to create something worthy of entry over the next few weeks. Apart from the obvious seasonal family commitments (and I have a large immediate family - 5 sons, a daughter and 5 grandchildren), I have a heavy work load between now and the early part of January - I've got a lot of shifts where I'm working until 1 or 2 am and I don't finish work on Christmas Day until 2:30pm.

I have an idea for this project but, apart from actually getting out and taking the photographs when I'm tired from lack of sleep and harrased by last minute seasonal shopping, I need to also find time to research the background material and then to sit down and put it all together. Hopefully, I will manage to find the time and will then make my submission at the proverbial eleventh hour!

tspore
12-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Would another week help you guys?

Noise_Filter
12-13-2007, 04:28 AM

My prayers as been answered. Im also in the big boat of work this month, i took more than 200 kids in picture this past 2 weeks, so yeah, i agree that 1 week extension will do allot of good for this essay on every one's end.

Luc

matthew
12-13-2007, 04:32 AM
An extra week certainly can't hurt -- the combination of personal holidays, and potential year-end business commitments all come together at this time.

kentomas
12-13-2007, 04:53 AM

It would certainly vastly improve my chances of getting something prepared. So, yes please!

greslizzz
12-13-2007, 07:07 AM
:yes::yes::yes:

anwmn1
12-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I have no skills in this area and do not even use PS - but I will find a way to have an entry.

I think it is good that this is not open to all voters but just a select group. Though there can be concern for friends getting votes I think this way the overall theme of a photo essay can be evaluated.

The layout may count in the decision but I think a judging panel makes it more likely that the photos portraying a story will be the primary factor.

Best of luck to all of us!!

Aaron

mistermike
12-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Another week would make it better for me, too. I'm looking for a good cheese to go with my whine.

olyinaz
12-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I have zero skills in this area and wouldn't even know where to begin thus I'll have to pass on this contest. Good luck to all of the graphic artists here on the 4/3rds photography forum.

Regards,
Oly

tspore
12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I have changed the date to 1/20/08

Also Olympus will give away a E-510 2 kit lens combo.

jebir
12-14-2007, 06:06 AM
WOW!

The extension will buy me into the game again.

Thanks, Jens.

Luke
12-14-2007, 09:21 AM
WOW!

The extension will buy me into the game again.

Thanks, Jens.

Same here.

Luc

tspore
12-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey guys, I really need fonts to at least be listed so I can try to find them of the world wide web. If you can also please provide them, if they are unusual.

Thanks!!
Tony

Luke
12-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Tony,

First of all a Merry Christmas to you and your family and all the best for 2008.
I am about ready with a 4-page contribution.
I rasterized the (very limited) text so there will be no problem with that.
To keep everything together I think it might be a good idea to put the 4 PSD's in one ZIP-file before uploading.
Shall we also post downsized jpeg's or do you want our entry's to remain "secret"?

Luc

tspore
12-29-2007, 11:41 PM
I think for all fairness, I am keeping the entries hidden till they come due, and 1 zip file would be fine.

mistermike
01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I posted my 4-page entry in a zip file. I have to say that I started experimenting early and, after sorta getting a handle on what I was doing, it was actually a fun project to do.

zbahu
01-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I am one of those who have never attempted this sort of thing before, I'm using CS2 and using layers to do my page layout and pretty much finished for pages 1/2 and 3/4.

What worries me is the files sizes ... about 40M for uncompressed PSD and 30M in a zip per page

Is this to be expected or am I doing something radically wrong ?!?!?

Colin

mistermike
01-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I am one of those who have never attempted this sort of thing before, I'm using CS2 and using layers to do my page layout and pretty much finished for pages 1/2 and 3/4.

What worries me is the files sizes ... about 40M for uncompressed PSD and 30M in a zip per page

Is this to be expected or am I doing something radically wrong ?!?!?

Colin

Colin,
My four pages were a little over 100meg zipped, so yes, a large file size is normal.

zbahu
01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks, I was getting worried !

Colin

Colin,
My four pages were a little over 100meg zipped, so yes, a large file size is normal.

anwmn1
01-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Sent my 6 pages in today. This was pretty difficult but fun. Look forward to seeing all the entries and purchasing the book.

Good luck everyone!!

Noise_Filter
01-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Well... there it is. Ive uploaded the .zip file for a total of 340.17 MB witch you will find 6 pages with all 31 original images use to make the essay and with all the fonts. My essay as been created to be 8x10 in a book. Also, i took the liberty of creating a nice book cover if you want to use it Tony, its included in the essay zip file. Good luck to all and i look forward to buying a copy of this book.

Cheers
Luc

Dara
01-16-2008, 10:47 AM
For my book that i have upload around 240 Mb.
I'm quite worry also. By then everything was done so now i feel better.

Good luck to all again

Big hug from China!
Dara

zbahu
01-19-2008, 05:21 AM
I have uploaded my efforts as 6 seperate zip files.

I must admit, because of all the rainy weather we have had here in the UK since Christmas, I had to change the direction I intended to take with this... hopefully it hangs together OK.

Having never done anything like this before, I found this aninteresting challenge and I think I may have even learnt something too.

Colin

Gilles
01-19-2008, 06:52 AM
A contest like this was a great idea because it requires to rethink about what we did previously and it breaks the actual plans we have on a subject. In this sense, it is a nice pretext to break away of our actual conceptions. A challenge should never be too easy…<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
In my case, I completely changed what I had I mind for something else. I will never know if it was better but at least, it made me do the exercise at least twice.<o:p></o:p>

tspore
01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
We are entering the last day to get entries in.
The contest closes tonight at 11 PM PST.

"11PM (PST) 1/20/08"

mick_finn
01-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Uploading my entry as I write this. Wheh, nothing like a dead line to get you going.... :pavel::D

assafx
01-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Tony,
i uploaded 7 files.
6 are the project files compressed into Rar files ( i use winrar i hope it's o.k) and the 7th is the fonts i used.

the order of the files should be:
assafx_open page.rar and then assafx_01.rar to assafx_05.rar.

this project was fun and i spend a lot of time on it and learned more then i thought i could.
i just hope i did it well for a first time :)
if there's any problem let me know and i'll check it in my morning and since it's time to sleep here (not to mention that my eyes are dead from PP and arranging that thing ).

Thanks ! that was an awesome challenge.
good luck to all of you.
Assaf

matthew
01-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm sending mine (113MB) right now as well. Tony, thanks for all of the work that you put into this, and for inspiring me to do better for myself. This is the hardest I've worked on any photographic project. I'm really honoured to be able to participate in such a great project and for such a valuable site.

And I'm thankful for deadlines -- otherwise I'd still be shifting commas around and not finishing anything.

SkyWriter
01-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Whew!!!

I just finished uploading my third (and last) two-page submission about an hour ago. It's taken me this long to come to grips that it's over, all done.

Let there be no mistake I have never undertaken this sort of photo assignment before. It's the first time I have ever attempted to undertake digital page layout - and to be quite honest I am afraid I've not gotten everything quite right; the total upload was nearly 200MB.

Another weird thing to happen (that more or less demonstrates I was in the deep end of the pool - for the very first time) is that my submissions were done in the following order:

-Second two pages
-First two pages
-Third two pages

After I *thought* I'd uploaded my first two pages I began to upload my second two pages - only to realize that the first two pages had not been uploaded. Fortunately, each of the submissions was properly numbered, so hopefully they will be put back together in the order they were intended (something tells me that being in the 'right' order will make a difference).

At sometime during the upload process I came to realize that I could have uploaded all three submissions at the same time (Oh - duh ... !!!).

I have no doubt that Tony's book is going to be an amalgamation of eclectic photo styles. We are, after all, a rather large community - each of us representing uniquely different locals and ways of seeing things.

Greetings - One and All!

-leon

LordEmit
01-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi,

well I just got my entry submitted (finished uploading just a while back).

I had a few delays trying to get the upload to work at the last minute (dodgy web browser issues etc.) and also not certain of my timezone calculations accuracy (been travelling between a few the last couple of days :-), so I'm hoping that I still squeezed in on time - please let me know if not Tony.

Thanks.

Steve.

tspore
01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Guys I have all of your entries, and must say that I really am impressed. I seemed to be missing a few fonts, but have PMed you if there were any issues.
Overall we had 21 entries out of the 50 who qualified. So that is not bad at all.
Next I will be trying to put it all together... So hang in tight. I am going to try to finish all my end before PMA, in which I leave next monday morning.

jebir
01-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Tony,

that was a great challenge - thanks for putting it together!

Now that the entries are in, may I ask how you are to evaluate them? Will you ask the prize sponsors about their opinions?

Just curious...

Cheers, Jens.

matthew
01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Tony, I don't envy the amount of work you have in front of you right now as you sort through the hundreds of different documents that make up the final project. That said, I'm really, really, really looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with.

Will we be able to see the communities' submissions before the results are announced?

(To ease your workload, would it help if we each post our own entries to a communal thread in this forum? Perhaps at a common size, say 800x600 pixels?) Perhaps a Smugmug gallery?

I'm also an insatiable statistics hound -- I'd love to know how many pages were submitted, the final megabyte amount produced, and all that fun stuff.

anwmn1
01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Tony-

I do not envy you with trying to judge this contest as well as put these all together in a book.

When you post the results and our entries it would be great to get some of the statistics.

We already know 21 out of 50 participated

Avg. file size- total file size

I am going to rough estimate that everyone turned in at least 4 pages with majority doing 6 pages. This will put the finished book around 100 pages of some high quality photographs from around the world!

Using Blurb the price point will probably only be around $50- so let me say once again. I CAN'T WAIT TO ORDER MY COPY!!

Look forward to seeing everyone's effort.

tspore
01-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I may ask the companies for there opinion's but I don't know if they will do it or not.
I am going to try to get up jpeg's on the home page soon for people to see the beautiful work that has been submitted.

assafx
01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Tony,
thanks for the hard work that you have done so far and will do, with this project.
i was wondering if in the book you will call us by our user names (which i find stupid) or by our real names and if you need us to say a few words about ourselves and a tiny photo too?

i learned so much during this process so just participating was a prize for me.

thanks again.
Assaf

tspore
01-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Ok now that I am working through the submissions
I would like to play your names on the lower corner of the pages.
Also a small blurb about you at the end of each page.
So if you could PM me you real name, city name state / country

Some numbers - Really it takes about 5 GB of space.
Number of pages I am unsure of at this point.

tspore
01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
I have 9 of the entries up, I had to add the user names on each page, because I off the home page, the images show up at random and you can figure out which entry belongs to each person.
Basically 9 of the entries are missing either the person's real name, so I haven't added those. I will continue to add new entries as I get the real name, as well as city, state, country.
All in all these are great entries. I am quite impressed.

tspore
01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Ok I am really in the middle of 2 much right now.
The review - E-3 focusing issues - Trying to Setup PMA.
Pretending to run another company, family. Just to much on my plate.

Anyhow, so this may seem a bit chaotic - which is my fault. Can everyone also send me a picture and if you have a photo website a link to that? - I think that we can add at like wallet size for the back.

Also some have provided a little bio - Do you guys want those in the back? Really it would have to be very short. I am leaning towards no.... But you all can give your own opinions.

Now within the book, should I make it the best entries first, random, alphabetical, What is your guys opinion.

stumac1985
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Ok I am really in the middle of 2 much right now.
The review - E-3 focusing issues - Trying to Setup PMA.
Pretending to run another company, family. Just to much on my plate.

Anyhow, so this may seem a bit chaotic - which is my fault. Can everyone also send me a picture and if you have a photo website a link to that? - I think that we can add at like wallet size for the back.

Also some have provided a little bio - Do you guys want those in the back? Really it would have to be very short. I am leaning towards no.... But you all can give your own opinions.

Now within the book, should I make it the best entries first, random, alphabetical, What is your guys opinion.

I think winner first and then random order after that.
Photo on its way

jebir
01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Agree with Stumac that the winner should be first.

If you plan to appoint any second, third etc, they should follow and then the rest in alphabethic order of places or names after that, just for you to have a reason for the order of appearance .

I'll link to photograph and site in a PM.

Cheers, Jens.

matthew
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I would say to put the entries in a random order, or possibly by geography.

For the winner, how about doing the World Press Photo approach? The winner chooses their favourite photo (from the ones used in the essay) to be reproduced on the first of the personal pages, along with their mugshot and a short paragraph or two about the process of creating their series. The winner gets the page to him/her self, and the other entrants follow with their photo and bio. The whole collection of individual's photos and bios could either be placed at the front or the back, although I'd suggest that the winner gets the first page, and then the rest go in the back in the order of appearance, including the winner's mugshot and simple bio.

Bio: it would be nice to have a few sentences about each photographer, but another option is a simple name, age, place of birth, and current city/place of residence if it's different. Other information could be included as well, but it would be best to have the same information from everyone.

"_Matthew Robertson_, _33_, was born in _Toronto__, _Ontario_, _Canada_, where he currently resides." (alternatively, "and now lives in_______________")

assafx
01-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the winner should be first (or even the first three) the rest should go alphabetically. i will send you a link to my page and a small shot.
a small bio? i don't mind. if you want we can put like 5 lines or so, in a guideline such as:
age, occupation, years photographing and the equipment we did it with.

my 2 cents and a pm on it's way.
BTW the things i've seen so far are stunning. well done guys !

Assaf

mistermike
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
The easier for you, Tony, the better. The first three places followed by the others alphabetically is fine with me, too. A minimal bio, if any. I'll PM you with the info with a photo. It won't bother me if you choose not to do bios.

Noise_Filter
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Agree.... winner first then alphabetic order or whatever....
A bio is, to my opinion a bit to mutch. In my mind our names and location is just fine.

A sexy pic of me coming right up :eek: wallet size 2½ x 3½... check your e-mail...

Luc

shunra
01-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm looking through this forum, and don't find any contests for 2008. All I see is contests for 2007, and assignments, which, I am told, are not the same.
Where should I be looking? Thanks!

tspore
01-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm looking through this forum, and don't find any contests for 2008. All I see is contests for 2007, and assignments, which, I am told, are not the same.
Where should I be looking? Thanks!

We will start the contest again at the beginning of March.
So for right now I have way to much on my plate.

Dara
01-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Tony.
You have work hard for all of us. Thank you very much.
I do agree with the winner first after that order or whatever.
I'm waiting to see this book.
Regards
Dara

assafx
01-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Tony,
i just looked at the gallery and this should be my opening page:
http://43photo.smugmug.com/gallery/4209808#246420408-A-LB

sorry if i got you confused.
thanks
Assaf

tspore
01-23-2008, 12:35 AM
not confused, you just saw the gallery as I was uploading all 100 shots. It should be ok now.
Today, I went though and put all 100+ shots in the book by author. Basically its going to be very hard to sort through the whole thing and pick the top one. Really nice work people.

greslizzz
01-23-2008, 02:15 AM
I am totally impressed with the pictures!
Thanks tony, you are getting something unique!

jebir
01-23-2008, 02:26 AM
I am totally impressed with the pictures!
Me too... and I certainly think that, even if the competition is very stiff and chances of winning are small, it will nevertheless be an honour to feature alongside the fellow 4/3 photographers from all over the world. It has been great fun to participate so far!

Cheers, Jens.

assafx
01-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks Tony,
and also thanks for the E-3 Review that i'm about to read...
i'm still amazed by the quality of the shots and i must say that even if i'll come up last i learned so much from it that it was worth all this effort.

Assaf

bg2b
01-23-2008, 03:21 AM
That's a great set of entries. I don't envy the judges.

zbahu
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Just finished looking at the slideshow from start to finish - twice!
They are just so very very good, fantastic stuff.

How on earth are these going to be judged to find a winner??
Be really interesting to know the critera and weightings are applied and get feedback but I do appreciate that would be a huge task. it's not going to be easy for the judges as it is!

Final thought, as a newcomer to this site and sort of slipping in under the wire by entering the last contest of the year, I am honoured to be part of this and will purchase the resultant book for sure.

Colin

tspore
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Well no matter what everyone who has gotten this far has won a competition before.
This one was more difficult than any of the others - as it should be.
What I have done - is I printed out all 100 pages - and I am working on doing a formal critique on them.
I have 2 others who I would like to do it. But really I am running out of time this week, so what I was thinking is I may try to hold off on posting a winner to get more comments instead of rushing it all. So we will not post the results until end of next week, or later - Since this is for a print publication, I really think that the critiques need to be of the prints. So sorry about the delay.
But I really would like to try to get a couple more people's opinion of the prints.

matthew
01-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Tony, thanks. While I'm as eager to hear the results as anyone, I appreciate the care that you're taking in the judging. The added complexity of the challenge brings so many more variables into the evaluation -- layout and sequencing, juxtaposition and harmony, among others -- that there's really no way to see the submission without being able to lay the printed pages out in sequence. As convenient as the electronic option is, the printed page is going to be worth the time.

Gilles
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Tony, <o:p></o:p>
Sounds like a teacher after an exam session for which he envisioned the pile of paper before it has been completely darkened by cryptic writings…:doh:<o:p></o:p>
Do not bother for delay, none of us is your boss…:smile:<o:p></o:p>

Dara
01-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi Tony.
Many thanks for this project.
Don't worry about delay.
I have learned many things from this competition and is good enough.
All of the pictures are really good.
Cheer!!

anwmn1
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Well no matter what everyone who has gotten this far has won a competition before.
This one was more difficult than any of the others - as it should be.
What I have done - is I printed out all 100 pages - and I am working on doing a formal critique on them.
I have 2 others who I would like to do it. But really I am running out of time this week, so what I was thinking is I may try to hold off on posting a winner to get more comments instead of rushing it all. So we will not post the results until end of next week, or later - Since this is for a print publication, I really think that the critiques need to be of the prints. So sorry about the delay.
But I really would like to try to get a couple more people's opinion of the prints.

Arrrrgh. The torture of suspense! :doh:

I think it is very wise to judge them critically and to annalize them. Don't forget to write down how you judged them and what was good and bad about each entry. I think this will be very useful to not only those that entered but every other member on the forum for future contests that entail more than just photography.

I am impressed by the work that has been submitted and WOW, some members live in some very awesome cities!!

Luke
01-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Take all the time you need Tony.
I am happy I do not have to judge the entries.
Great job, I really enjoyed looking at all of them several times.
Luc

stumac1985
01-27-2008, 04:08 AM
As has been voiced by others, as eager as I am to see the results and congratulate the winner, take all the time you think is needed to judge it properly!

tspore
02-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Ok a quick update.
I was able to get Jay Kinghorn from Olympus to judge the contest. It will be much better than from me. I didn't want to say anything before hand, but I thought that you guys would like to know now, that I have that finalized.
Mr. Kinghorn's Bio. (http://fourthirdsphoto.com/special/images/OLY_visionary_JKinghorn.pdf)

anwmn1
02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Ok a quick update.
I was able to get Jay Kinghorn from Olympus to judge the contest. It will be much better than from me. I didn't want to say anything before hand, but I thought that you guys would like to know now, that I have that finalized.
Mr. Kinghorn's Bio. (http://fourthirdsphoto.com/special/images/OLY_visionary_JKinghorn.pdf)

Hmm... I can't see it for some reason. It opens but it is almost completely blank. I'll try on the home computer later. :hmm:

That is pretty exciting to have someone from Olympus to judge but I think everyone will agree that you should have quite a bit of influence as well.

Is there a new timeline in which we can expect a winner announced?

stumac1985
02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Fantastic that a representitive of Olympus is involved in the judging. Have to echo anwmn1's question of any new timeline for the announcement of the winner?

zbahu
02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Excellent, you are doing a fantastic job with this I must say. It would be really good to get feedback from Jay, however painful it might be :-)

I have picked out some entries that really stand out for me , as far as one can tell from the slideshow anyway - it will be interesting to see if any of my choices match a professional's !

As to timelines, well I am as interested as the next person, but appreciate you don't want to rush as I suspect it will be a very close call indeed.

Colin

Ok a quick update.

tspore
02-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Guys,
I think he should be done by the end of the week.

matthew
02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Tony, you know the experience of ordering something on-line? It's easy to wait weeks and weeks to actually get around to placing the order -- typically through B&H with the referral link -- but as soon as I click "submit" I climb the walls until it arrives and cause a minor DOS attack on the tracking website.

You can probably guess what that experience has in common with this... :D

I know this is asking a lot, but could you create the thread to hold the announcement ahead of time, and then close it to all but yourself until the announcement is made? That way those of us who want to know the second the results are announced can subscribe to the thread and get notification e-mails immediately. (next I need to set up an e-mail to SMS text message relay... :hmm:)

tspore
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
sure good idea.
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=141320

Henk Peter
02-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Oh well, they waited patiently for the arrival of the E-3 so what's a few days waiting for the final verdict of the jury? ;):evilgrin:

stumac1985
02-07-2008, 04:07 AM
sure good idea.
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=141320

cant subscribe to it :(

matthew
02-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks, Tony. Henk's right, but just the same...

Stumac, it just worked for me: the "thread tools" drop-down at the top of the first message. But perhaps something's set up differently...

stumac1985
02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Tony. Henk's right, but just the same...

Stumac, it just worked for me: the "thread tools" drop-down at the top of the first message. But perhaps something's set up differently...

Worked now...

tspore
02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Ok I have posted the results in the afore mentioned thread.
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=21582
I will close this one now. To keep things simple.