PDA

View Full Version : Canon 40D and the E-3 go out for a stroll Part 1

tspore
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
<p>Scott Dordick and I met up Saturday morning to go for a small stroll with our new cameras. Scott is the owner of Acratech and a very nice man, who is a great photographer. We have talked about doing this for some time, but finally on Saturday we made it happen. We wanted to have similar shots, and it nearly worked, but all in all this is far from a scientific test. What we are going to try to do, is put a Canon, Nikon, and Olympus Camera with the same settings next to each other to do better test. But for what this is, I find it quite interesting. </p>
<h2>A few Shots...</h2>
<p><strong>T...Read more here. (http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/blog/?p=119)

GavinW
12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Interesting test and set of results which go a long way to boost my level of confidence in Olympus. Thanks for sharing.

tspore
12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Simple tests like this could easily be doctored. But we did our best to make them as level as possible. Really I think that they are both good systems. Scott is a good friend of mine, so I am not at all trying to make a Canon bashing thread. In fact quite the opposite. We had similar camera settings, but of course the Digital 4/3 lenses should out perform the Canon lenses as they are built for the system. But I was surprised to see the better dynamic range over the 40 D.

I really want to do better tests. But no matter what we went out to have fun, and to compare systems at a fun level.

Don Baldwinson
12-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Tony for a very interesting test, and while not scientific, it's 'real life'.
I'm very heartened by the E-3 results, which confirm all I feel about the quality of this camera.
Cheers,
Don
ps. How about following up this series with a comprehension comparison of the camera instruction manuals. The result may be different :smile:
Cheers,
Don

tspore
12-19-2007, 02:43 PM
ps. How about following up this series with a comprehension comparison of the camera instruction manuals. The result may be different :smile:
Cheers,
Don

LOL - I don't dare want to go into manuals. That would be 1 head ache. That is why I had Scott shoot his own 40D as he normally would, and I my E-3 as I would.
I really thought that with his remote shutter he would do better than I. But it didn't work quite that way.

As a totally different note. I let him use my E-3 as he liked, and he too was impressed with the viewfinder. We didn't screw around with live view though.

jtsmall
12-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Interesting to see the comparison. I would recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS as the comparable lens to match the Olympus 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD. The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS is not comparable in my opinion.

Stuttaton
12-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Interesiting comparison. But I must say that from these examples, the Canon's IQ look awful. I would not be satisfied with that level of quality. I highly suspect that the 40D is capable of better, though.

/Jörgen

Johannes
12-20-2007, 05:00 AM
A friend of mine got a 40D 2 weeks ago, he found the AWB not good, and when making a portrait of a girl, he found something like beard roots at her chin.... (noise),

http://images4.fotop.net/albums2/eric1234567/_Penny___/x.jpg

he brought the 40D to HK service centre, Canon people said according to Canon standard, the camera is fine, but still will check it carefully.

Few days later, he got the camera back, Canon service said, the AWB is fine, but they still fine tuned it, the noise is ok, but still they fine tuned it, the LCD is fine, but they changed it .... wait and see if something happend next during the Christmas holiday shootings....

llpoolej
12-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Very interesting results. I have found the D300 put up against the E-3 in similar conditions to not be as pleasing results wise. That is personal and subjective though. A non camera friend, who is pretty good as 'seeing' things agreed.

I would say that the lenses we both used are comprable and the skill is similar.

Obviously, I have been very pleased with the E-3

jima
12-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Interesiting comparison. But I must say that from these examples, the Canon's IQ look awful. I would not be satisfied with that level of quality. I highly suspect that the 40D is capable of better, though.

/Jörgen
Perhaps so, but this is the second set of shots I have seen today where, IMHO, the E-3 absolutely smokes the 40D. The Canon may be capable of better but so may the E-3 :smile:

If that were my 40D I would be on my way back to the shop with it to get it fixed (or possibly to buy an E-3). Sorry, the 40D appears soft, dark and decidedly unimpressive by comparison.

Jim

jonr
12-21-2007, 04:01 AM
I think it is obvious that DSLRs are more demanding on the lenses than film.

ckrueger
01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Interesting to see the comparison. I would recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS as the comparable lens to match the Olympus 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD. The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS is not comparable in my opinion.

Yeah, I had the same thought. I have a 28-135, and while it's a nice all-in-one lens, it won't win any sharpness contests. It's not poor, but I'm not surprised to see the 12-60 outperform it. I agree a 17-55/2.8IS would be a better (and more direct) comparison, as would a few other 17/18-xxx lenses for EF/EF-S.

That said, I love the test. Real-world shooting tests are much more illuminating than controlled test target shots, because they test the entire system. Even informal tests like these are useful to get a picture of the whole system.

I've been doing much this same thing lately, comparing part of my Canon kit (5D, 28-75/2.8, 100-400) to my Olympus kit (E-410, 14-42, 40-150). I carry both kits, shoot a picture with one, then shoot the same picture with the other. I've only done this twice, and only have 200 or so shots to compare, but my preliminary conclusions are:

• The 5D's viewfinder is staggeringly better than the E-410, to the point that I hesitate to use my manual lenses on my E-410 in all but great light. Definitely my #1 complaint with my E-410.
• The E-410 is a dream to carry. The 5D is a nightmare.
• The 5D makes it very easy to control DOF. The E-410 takes a lot of effort to throw the background OOF. I preferred a lot of my Canon shots for this reason.
• Sharpness is embarrassingly close so far. The Canon gear has a bit of an edge, I'd wager, but there are enough shots where the Olympus gear was superior that I'd put it more down to focus and handshake. I've gotta do some tripod shooting before I call a winner, but the closeness of my tests so far are blowing my mind.

I'm anxious to see your further tests, Tony! If you guys get a chance, try having one person shoot both cameras for a while. Shooting two cameras back-to-back is an excellent way to judge the whole package.

nthebgin
01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Nice comparison!
By the looks of the test E-3 blows aways Canon40D in almost every aspect.
Dynamic Range, Sharpest, etc. I'm really surprised at the 40D results.
Viewed by itself every camera looks good...but when compared head to head like in this test - E3 won has down!

Will you and your friend being doing a D300 test?

Thanks!

tspore
01-04-2008, 01:21 PM
I did run a 40D, D200 and E-3 test, but not a whole lot of new info. The 12-60 was way better than the 2 lenses that they were using.
We are have 70-200mm lenses equivalents, so if I get a chance I may try that. But really the E-3 is a better camera than both of those. So I may have to bit the bullet and rent equivalent equipment to try a real test. Which I didn't want to do.
I also am working on a full review of the E-3 from a Photographers point of view, to be hopefully published in about a week. (That is what I am working on now as I get a few spare moments)
But to publish regularly is very hard, I have a full time business, and family. So this site gets put 3rd or 4th on the list at times.

jtsmall
01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I know what you mean, I would draw the same conclusion from this report. However I have found the 40D to perform extremely well and would recommend it to anyone in the market.