PDA

View Full Version : POTY Entry leads to Exposure and Paid Work

anwmn1
02-13-2008, 07:17 AM
I wanted to share my success outside of the contest with all of you.

After creating my pages for the POTY contest I posted on a few forums to get feedback. It was here that people recommended me sharing my work with the city. I sent an e-mail off to Chamber of Commerce, City Council, and the Parks and Rec. Department. Within 1 hour I received a call from one of the council members. Turns out he wants to use one of the pages for the new phone book cover! :eek: This was a non paying situation but good exposure- the book design was going to the printer the next day so I needed to make a decision. We reached an agreement that my name would appear on the cover, on the first couple of pages it would be noted that the phone book cover courtesy of me (with all my contact information) and I would also receive a free add under photographers. So- no money but over 18,000 copies will be printed and will be in every home and business in my little town.

It doesn't end there:
A few days later the Director of Parks and Rec contacted me about the slides and how much he liked them. He has agreed to purchase them in large mounted canvas prints when the library moves into a larger facility. I was also asked if I would be interested in shooting some of the local events including the annual Salsa Festival, 4th of July event, and a Father- Daughter dance in the summer.

So even if I didn't win with the judges I have still won by taking on this challenge.

mistermike
02-13-2008, 07:38 AM
That's great news! Congratulations and I hope that it leads to continued exposure and success for you!

matthew
02-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Fantastic, and congratulations. It sounds like you've earned something more valuable than the prizes could have ever been.

TomServoCA
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Wonderful news. All it takes is a break sometimes and before you know it, yer in the "show"

stumac1985
02-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Fantastic news! Gives me an idea actually...:hmm:

tspore
02-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Really great news.

You have to remember 2 things about contest's such as this.
To pick a winner amongst all the entires was quite difficult. All of the works were exceptional. So we really had to be 1000% more nit picky than any normal person would be.
Just think about it - Before my clients ever see a print - I usually have printed all the images 2-3 times, after getting them good in Lightroom / Aperture.
Will they notice the final edits? Usually not.

Second - I really tried to be un biased in my part. And I know that Jay is, because he is not directly part of the community here.

So no matter what if your work is good, you may or may not win contests. But you can still become a very successful photographer.

I am very excited that you got the recognition from your local town. That is really super news.

Godfrey
02-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Excellent! Congratulations on your success!

Godfrey

Luke
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Congratulations and I wish you lots of interesting and fun photo-jobs.
Luc

anwmn1
02-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Fantastic news! Gives me an idea actually...:hmm:

I would reccommend everyone that entered to go and share their work with their community. Kind of the idea when I posted it. :D

I am going to get some prints done and see if I can contract something with some of the other smaller communities in the area.

Henk Peter
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Congratulations Aaron, smart move! Good luck with your career.

anwmn1
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Really great news.

You have to remember 2 things about contest's such as this.
To pick a winner amongst all the entires was quite difficult. All of the works were exceptional. So we really had to be 1000% more nit picky than any normal person would be.
Just think about it - Before my clients ever see a print - I usually have printed all the images 2-3 times, after getting them good in Lightroom / Aperture.
Will they notice the final edits? Usually not.

Second - I really tried to be un biased in my part. And I know that Jay is, because he is not directly part of the community here.

So no matter what if your work is good, you may or may not win contests. But you can still become a very successful photographer.

I am very excited that you got the recognition from your local town. That is really super news.

No worries Tony-

I know all art and especially art contests are very subjective. This was a great collection of work and I was concerned that my work was too minimalistic once all the entries were posted. Everyone did a great job.

I happy with my work and honored to be in the book with all of the other great photographers.

You and Jay did a great job on the judging and the PDF file with feedback was greatly appreciated. The feedback gave us the information on how they were judged which in most cases you never get.

Thanks Again-

Aaron

anwmn1
02-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Thank you to all of you that have posted and given congrats. For those of you in medium to small sized communities this is an opporotunity you could all try as well.

I live in a town of about 30,000 and there were already 3 established photographers which have most of the baby, family, and senior portraits wrapped up. This project should help get me established.

Another project I have-

There is a local magazine and news source that I have done some photos for. I recently worked out an agreement to get a 2 page spread in the bi-monthly magazine. Given that most of the people moving to the area are from out of state the concept was to provide information and pictures of different unique parts of Arizona. The pages will consist of 1 full page photograph and 1 page with 1-2 smaller photos and an article describing the area, how to get there, and what to be aware of when you go.

They get a consistent piece for their magazine.
I get more exposure and more reasons to contiue to explore the state.

Just some other ideas for you all

assafx
02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
this is wonderful !
Aaron, i must say that i really really loved your project and with jens's it was one of my favorites. it's wonderful to hear that you managed to do so well with it.
hearing this story just made me happy.
good luck !

Assaf

anwmn1
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
this is wonderful !
Aaron, i must say that i really really loved your project and with jens's it was one of my favorites. it's wonderful to hear that you managed to do so well with it.
hearing this story just made me happy.
good luck !

Assaf

Thank you Assaf- that means a lot!

I love your work and am a little envious of your wonderful city and culture you have the availability to photograph.

Congrats!!

zbahu
02-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Very cool, very well done, an excellent route to getting your work published and your name known.

Just shows that if you don't ask you don't get!

Now where is the number for my local council offices....

Colin

rally
02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Aaron,

Well earned.
I thought your entry was right up there - its was bold and told a great story with clarity and without needing to rely on many words - clever.

All the best

Rally

AnnF
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
A belated Congratulations!!!

Ann