PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Tip of the Week #42

lkeeney
02-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Select to Protect

This is a tip I use all the time when post processing images from a model shoot, but it can be used for many different types of images where you are using the cloning tool, or even painting on an image.

A good example of where you would use this technique is an image of a car that may have been taken with the car sitting on a nice tiled show room floor, but where they had placed black rubber mats beneath the tires. If you want to remove the black rubber mats without cloning over parts of the tires, you would select the tire using any one of the selection methods. Just make sure you have an accurate selection of the tire in the area where the tire meets the rubber mat. It is not important that the rest of the selection is that accurate.

Once you have a good selection, invert the selection (Shift+Ctrl+I). Now you can clone out the rubber mat without having to worry that you will clone over the top of the tire. This is particularly important if you are using a soft brush as the cloning goes beyond the edges of the visible brush.

Other applications are where you are cloning away a branch that appears to be growing out of someone's ear, or any unwanted object next to an object you want to protect from the cloning.

I use it a lot to take wrinkles out of background near a model's image.

Lawrence

Bill_Turner
02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Nothing there...

lkeeney
02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Nothing there...

After writing the tip and publishing it, only the first line of the message was saved. Unfortunately, I wrote it with the editor built into the web site, and I did not have a copy of the text.

I had a busy weekend with relative in from out-of-town and could not get a chance to rewrite the tip. I am going to write it again and repost it.

Lawrence

assafx
02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
That's a great tool that i use sometimes.
sometimes i also use the select tools such as smooth (to smooth the lines) or contract and expand.
in this image i used the smooth command to make the selection edge softer.
so now the transition between the mosaic and the background that i cloned out, is smoother.
i also used selection tool to clone some cracks on the plaster without touching the mosaic.

http://Assafx.smugmug.com/photos/251523369_L6ThP-L.jpg

thanks again Lawrence.
Assaf

lkeeney
02-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Assaf,

Thanks for adding your comment and image. It is always interesting to see how others use these techniques.

Lawrence