PDA

View Full Version : Computer & Related Equipment Western Digital MyWorldBook Edition NAS

OzRay
02-19-2008, 02:44 AM
I recently purchased the 1TB version after reading reasonable reviews of the product, with an extra enticement in that it was going at a very reasonable price. I especially wanted a network capable solution and most other similarly priced systems were USB only.

http://www.wdc.com/global/images/products/frnt/wdfMyBook_World_2N.jpg

More info:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=340

Installation was quite easy, but it required you to install the Mionet software that enables you to access the drive, including from any Internet connected computer (provided that you pay the relevant yearly fee after the 30 day trial expiry time). I have forgone the offer, as I don't require 'anywhere access'. The system automatically maps the drive and assigns it a drive letter, but there is a problem here in that you cannot access the drive in the conventional way and must always start Mionet before the drive is recognised by the PC. This is very frustrating, in that there is no easy way to disable Mionet and still access the drive.

WD should have provided a conventional access methodology, but this probably would have created problems with their little financial plan of selling 'anywhere access'. An Internet search shows that there are ways to remove Mionet and still access the drive, but all that I've found so far is much too complicated to understand. The other thing that is also annoying is that you get nagware for at least 30 days until your free offer expires, when you finally get the opportunity to tell the thing to sod off. I still don't know whether Mionet is accessing the WD site, even if you don't have the 'anywhere access'. Additionally, to access the drive, you must have a username and password, which also makes things a pain.

The NAS also comes with 'Retrospect' software that provides backup capabilities, which I started to use initially, but then gave up because I just found it a pain. I tend to use Microsoft Synctoy 2, which does much the same thing, but is simpler.

From a performance point of view, the NAS is not a speed demon. I gathered this from some of the reviews, but it's a lot slower than I expected. I recently purchased a gigabit switch to resolve any network issues that I was having, but it hasn't given me any greater speeds as far as the NAS is concerned, though it has provided other benefits (I should have had one from the outset).

Would I recommend the WD MyWorldBook NAS? If yo are a complete technophobe and want a large capacity external drive that 'sort of' does everything for you, then the WD is a reasonably good, value for money option. For anyone that likes to have control over their system, it's not something that I'd recommend.

I almost forgot to mention, the WD has the most stupid on/off switch that I have ever encountered on any device. The blue radiating button may look cute, but it gives you no indication as to whether you have successfully turned the device on or off. I end up having to press and/or hold the button multiple times until something happens; there's no consistency whatsoever in this button.

What I intend to do, is find a NAS housing sans drives and transfer the SATA drives from the WD and then have a ritual trashing of the WD housing. Then I'll be free of Mionet and that frustrating on/off switch.

Cheers

Ray

Zijon
02-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Good review, Ray! Thanks.

I'm also thinking about NAS solution. Here is what I consider:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/terastation/

Zilvinas

KellysCayman
02-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Check out the HP MediaSmart running Windows Home Server. I hope Lawrence can jump in here and give us his thoughts on his new HP Box!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10097227&catid=24234

Kelly

giorgosmit
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Nice review Ray! I am considering the Time Capsule for the mac- but I have to get a mac first. I AM a technophobe, as I recently lost a computer, along with 2 hard disks, in a PSU failure.

Anybody know anything about the Time Capsule? Looks interesting, in theory at least, but the price is a bit on the high side. :action-smiley-020:

Tony Finnerty
02-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Ray,

I'm not sure there is any NAS solution that does not require an ubergeek. I'm using the Infrant ReadyNAS NV+, which offers hardware RAID, too. I've got four 500GB drives in my NAS box which, because of RAID 5 redundancy, gives 1.5 usable terabytes.

However I have not yet gotten acceptable speed over my Gigabit Ethernet network. Reading the Infrant forum, it seems that the best transfer speed one can expect is about one quarter of the Gigabit Ethernet theoretical maximum of 125 MB/sec, or about 30-35 MB/sec, because there is significant overhead in operating the network. There is overhead from backup software, too.

So far I'm seeing less than one quarter of the one quarter of theoretical speed. My first backup of 650 GB of image data took 28 hours, or about 6.6 MB/sec - disappointing. I'm trying to learn how to optimize my network speed. However, as Dr. McCoy might have said to Captain Kirk: "Dammit, Jim, I'm a photographer, not a computer geek!"

It will be worth the effort, I suppose. I live in forest fire country and in an emergency I can grab the NAS box and get out of there with all my images - much easier than trying to quickly move my large, heavy PowerMac G5. And the NAS box in RAID 5 configuration effectively gives me triple redundancy, counting the prime "working" copies of my files on the internal hard drives in my computer.

If I could afford a second NAS box I'd rotate them into remote storage for even more data security.

Retrospect backup software came with the ReadyNAS box. I find it easy to use. Perhaps, once Apple has worked out incompatibilities between their new backup application, Time Machine, and Aperture, I'll switch to Time Machine. More likely with respect to using Retrospect, though, if it ain't broke, I won't fix it.

OzRay
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I considered the Buffalo Terastation, but it was three times the price of the WD. There seems to be more and more NAS boxes coming onto the scene, but I'm still surprised at how slow things have generally been. The one thing that I am keeping an eye out for are the Windows Home Server boxes. I haven't seen one available in Oz just yet, but when they do, it may be the better way to go and I already have 1TB of storage to stick in the server. And because I already have my own hosted site, I may be able to use that, rather than paying extra to WD, should I want 'anywhere access'.

Cheers

Ray

lkeeney
02-24-2008, 12:11 AM
As Kelly mentioned, I have been running the HP MediaSmart running Windows Home Server.

I have all my images since 2002 saved on this system now, as well as on a 1TB Yellow machine. Two backup systems with redundancy.

I did have a scare with it the other day though. It had a red light flashing on the front. I got out the manual and it indicated that the operating system had failed. Fortunately, it turned out that the red light was on because a backup of my computer was overdo. I backed up my computer and the red light went out.

So far, the system works for me. Being a NAS device, the speed is not what I would like, but it is not too bad for the way I work. For the price it is hard to beat.

I want to thank Kelly for suggesting this unit to me. I was originally looking at the Drobo.

I now have 13 hard drives spinning around all day long. Well not quite as I turn off the two NAS systems if I am not going to use them all day.

Lawrence