PDA

View Full Version : Wrotniak on E-3 settings

Stuttaton
02-28-2008, 03:57 AM
He has a new page up, that explains all the E-3 menu settings. I haven't read it all but it looks like excellent stuff.
http://wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e3-sett.html

/Jörgen

James Pilcher
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
He has a new page up, that explains all the E-3 menu settings. I haven't read it all but it looks like excellent stuff.

/Jörgen

Thanks for the link. :action-smiley-020:

That's truly an amazing article. I bookmarked it immediately. It will take much time to work through it. It's very useful to have someone not only talk about what a setting can do, but to also talk about the why of the setting.

dh202
02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Jorgen, Thanks for the link!

Andrzej,
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

David

Don Baldwinson
02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
This man should be paid for writing an intelligible manual. Then we could throw the Oly one away.
Cheers,
Don

jan56
02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the great link!!
Looks it's a welcome addition to the handbook and the dvd, much more understandable :-)

Thanks

Jan

tspore
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Wow very impressive, great write up.
I don't think that I would use it to read the whole thing through. More a reference guide.

finemom
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I did read the whole thing through. Very informative and helpful. There were a few things explained that I hadn't understood since getting my first oly dslr the E500. I also got so involved I forgot about an appointment I had.:eek:

jondextan
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
i was waiting for this since i got the E-3! :D

Rockin Ronnie
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
When I picked up my E510, Wrotniak was where I went to setup the camera.

Ron

DWReich
02-29-2008, 11:37 AM

/Jörgen

Some of us have expressed frustration over the lack of any Olympus E-System book(s) similar to the Canon and Nikon offerings. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I for one would rather have reference material on printed pages easily carried into the field where there are no computer WEB connections. I would always rather read any book in paper form rather than on a computer screen.<o:p></o:p>
Does anyone have suggestions for what to include in a new Olympus book?<o:p></o:p>
I would like some blank charts for all the settings with one column showing his suggested starting points and other blank columns for writing in my settings for different kinds of shooting. In addition, some space for notes and a pocket for loose papers. <o:p></o:p>
Of course the WEB would be an equal partner with the book. Using the WEB for what it does best and the book for what it does best. The WEB would be best for showing test pictures and providing timely corrections and minor updates. The book would provide the bulk of what you need to know, when in the field and far from a computer.<o:p></o:p>
Clearly each new E-body, lens, and equipment would be included in new editions. The old Carl Shipman books evolved as new OM bodies came out but the editing and printing process was lengthy. Doing a book in combination with a WEB presence would allow early evaluations with later augmentatied information in the book. <o:p></o:p>
The biggest problem would be figuring out the format and financial model to make it work. <o:p></o:p>
While I think of my Carl Shipman books for the OM system, a similar E-system series would have to be different in order to educate some new dslr users who have just graduated from P&S and only know that their previous camera did everything. The basics of photography still need to be known in order to get the most from your dslr and this is the greatest service Andrzej can provide in a book. <o:p></o:p>
Andrzej clearly has demonstrated the ability to provide very well organized and useful information. Would there be enough book buyers out there to justify the time to produce it? Do only Canon and Nikon owners buy books? Should we encourage Andrzej to write such a book?

heavy wind lover
02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Tony, his Oly sight should be a sticky for everyone to read,,

Derry

you2
03-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Any idea why it is preferred to have image stablization off by default ?

TomServoCA
03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Don:

Good points. The financial model is less complex than one would think. With publish on demand companies like Lulu out there, the publishing complexities goes away. The writing and editing aspect is just as daunting however.

A simple model would be to sell a subsrciption to some value added site (like here) that would get you book updates yearly and allow you to buy the printed material at a rate less than rack. The money would be split twixt the author of the book and the site, with a lions share going to the author because the site is already charging a subscription fee. For non-subscription sales the money would go to the author.

I've seen stuff like this work in the past and it maybe worth exploring

DWReich
03-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Don:

Good points. The financial model is less complex than one would think. With publish on demand companies like Lulu out there, the publishing complexities goes away. The writing and editing aspect is just as daunting however.

A simple model would be to sell a subsrciption to some value added site (like here) that would get you book updates yearly and allow you to buy the printed material at a rate less than rack. The money would be split twixt the author of the book and the site, with a lions share going to the author because the site is already charging a subscription fee. For non-subscription sales the money would go to the author.

I've seen stuff like this work in the past and it maybe worth exploring

John,

I think he needs to hear from potential book users. There is no doubt he has the ability. He also has the necessary interest as an Olympus system owner/user and the objective viewpoint to point out problems and how to work around them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
He is already spending many long late hours maintaining his WEB site while having a very demanding day job. He has more to offer than technical tests and details. He is an intuitive teacher and would be good at guiding the P&S user into the DSLR world as well as helping advanced users know their camera system better.<o:p></o:p>
Anyone who would like to encourage him should send him an email. His email address is on his WEB site http://www.wrotniak.net (http://www.wrotniak.net/)<o:p></o:p>

JeffCharles
03-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Wrotniak's list of settings with explanations is a great resource. One of his comments made me think of the very useful Pentax green button. He wrote, "resetting the shift to zero is a pain." Most Pentax DSLRs, e.g., the K10D, have a green button on top that will reset program shift and exposure compensation. The button will also set exposure to the program line in manual exposure mode.

Jeff

tspore
03-02-2008, 08:42 AM
It really is a great read, I have a deep respect for his writings they have always been very good. It seems that this thread has calmed down on comments, so I will move it to the "keepers" forum. If we start doing stickies here the entire first page will be stickies.