PDA

View Full Version : Other Techniques getting closer and preferably from the right angle

drdeo
03-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi!
So I was at home yesterday trying to study (exam on saturday) when the local golden eagles decided it was time for their children to get some frequent flyer miles. of course I had to take this opportunity and try to photograph them. This is the best result I got, the first from a window, the second one heavily cropped. So, assuming I had a little more time, how should I have gotten about to get closer to these guys? (whithout branches covering their faces)

James Pilcher
03-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Hi!
So I was at home yesterday trying to study (exam on saturday) when the local golden eagles decided it was time for their children to get some frequent flyer miles. of course I had to take this opportunity and try to photograph them. This is the best result I got, the first from a window, the second one heavily cropped. So, assuming I had a little more time, how should I have gotten about to get closer to these guys? (whithout branches covering their faces)

OK, the quotes I selected as my answer to you may be a bit esoteric, but hopefully thought-provking...

Minor White once said: When you approach something to photograph it, first be still with yourself until the object of your attention affirms your presence. Then don't leave until you have captured its essence.

Robert Capa once said: If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.

drdeo
03-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks, a lot of wisdom in those quotes, both of them. The last one put a big smile on my lips also :D

James Pilcher
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks, a lot of wisdom in those quotes, both of them. The last one put a big smile on my lips also :D

I like a response that makes me come to my own conclusion. I'm glad you do too. Keep shooting!

ptuk
03-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Eagles have the best eyesight on the planet. There's no chance that you'll be able to approach them without being spotted. If you know of a tree which they favour as a perch you could build a hide close by. You'll need to leave the hide for a few weeks to let the birds get used to it and you'll need to enter and leave the hide under the cover of darkness.

drdeo
03-13-2008, 03:41 AM
Thx Paul!
Ive actually been thinking about building a hide here somewhere to get the pictures I want. Anyone here that knows of a good how-too guide for that kind of thing?
Ill try to see if I can spot some kind of faouvorite tree or something for the birds in the meantime.
/Kristofer

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
As a life long hunter and outdoorsman, the single best piece of advice is to know what your subject intimately. The best general advice I can give for getting closer is to always watch out of the corner of your eye, not directly, and do not act or project yourself as a predator. I am convinced animals have a 6 sense and can "feel" your vibe. If your are intense like a tiger watching when to pounce, you wont get close. Relax and approach and move like you could care less about them. If you make direct eye contact, you lose, most of the time. Clothing the blends in is good, camo isn't needed unless your trying for hunted birds (ducks,geese ect) they are very human shy in the wild. A portable blind or "hide" is also an option
Jim

jebir
03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
drdeo,

I second the good advice from Paul regarding eagles and those from Jim in general.

Just the record, the birds you have photographed are not golden eagles (Aquila crysaetus) but are, if in Europe, unmistakenly buzzards (Buteo buteo) (http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=21842) (at least the one in flight). If overseas, it may be some other "hawk" as their Buteo-relatives are called over there. Buzzards are quite shy of walking humans as well but can often be approached quite easily (but slowly) with a vehicle.

Cheers, Jens.

drdeo
03-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Jebir!
Thx for bringing this to my attention, Im not 100% sure what bird this is and Im not a bird expert at all so Im probably wrong. I checked the bird up in a book many moons ago and think that I came to the "golden eagle" conclusion mostly because of the sound they made. Ill post another picture of the bird here and a link to yet another one so we can shed some light on this (at least for me). Thanks again for the info Jens, and of course from the other posters, Ill still try to get a good picture of these guys regardless of species ;)
the link:
http://www.myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=19406

jebir
03-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi Kristofer,

I can say with 100% confidency that those birds definitely are buzzards (Buteo buteo) - in particular as I see that you are living in Sweden which, incidently, happens to be my own home ground. (I presume the birds were photographed here.)

The buzzard frequently makes cat-like sound like: "Mieouw-ww" both when sitting and flying all year around. Golden eagles make a high pitched noise mostly during breeding (far from humans usually).

Cheers, Jens.

drdeo
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
You just beat me to the punch! was about to edit and say that I was convinced, checked in my birdbook and its definitily buteo buteo (swedish: ormvrk) dont know what led me to the golden eagle, probably just wishful thinking ;)
Thanks for correcting me Jebir!
(now I just have to change the name on myfourthirds :p)