PDA

View Full Version : Other Techniques 14-42 for Candid Street Photography

Arbib
03-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Having used 28mm lens's on 35mm SLR/RFs camera's for this type of stuff is easier than the using zooms. But today the "Kit" zoom is king for the most part..I don't know of any 14-16mm prime for 4/3s.
By using an on line DOF Calculator
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I started using different f/stops at 14mm for a E-510 DSLR...To find an ideal F/stop that I could use INF as focus point, and still huge DOF...
F/10 focused at INF (using the AF on)..gives about 4' to INF DOF. Perfect.

Also ISO 400 on overcast days is needed for SS above 1/60s..
ISO 200 is good for sunny days.
So How did I do??
This is a tight crop...I really didn't want to "Point" the Camera at him..I just angled the camera in his direction at my waist as I was passing by.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/01/313701/1/94568167.p90v69JJ.TMsforWebTN_Details_ManandCoffee Cup.JPG

I turned off the AF after AF on INF.
And hung the camera around my neck, the camera was just above my waist.
If you have tried this or use this technique often for Street-Candid" photography...Please post your samples and techniques used, so we can all learn how to best do this...

Bill_Turner
03-23-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd like to comment as I believe the 14-42 to be a great value.
Your image is password protected so we can't see it.

Arbib
03-23-2008, 06:06 PM
I'd like to comment as I believe the 14-42 to be a great value.
Your image is password protected so we can't see it.

Fixed Image..

cifcap
03-24-2008, 05:53 AM
I own the original kit standard zoom lens and (for me) it does everything well except low light and rapid focusing. Iím holding on to mine until I can afford the 14-35 f/2.

JW

nomix
03-24-2008, 07:47 AM
The 14-42 is a superb kit lens. More importantly, it's also a rather sweet little lens.

It's so small and light it feels really weird using one after getting used to the 14-54.

ckrueger
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Clever approach!

Could you not also focus to infinity by manually cranking the ring until the motor stops making noise, thereby leaving the camera in MF all the time? Or does the 14-42 focus "past infinity" like many lenses these days?

I've gotten sub-par results using hyperfocal calculations in the past. I find I'm more picky about "in focus" than the circle of confusion calculations I've used are. I often ended up with a subject just a bit softer than I would have gotten by focusing myself, and AF is quick enough with most of my lenses that I never really bothered to nail the hyperfocal process down.

I think I'm going to revisit this technique summer when my 25/2.8 arrives. The focus-by-wire ring won't be so great for pre-focusing, so I need something to get focus the moment I bring the camera to my eye.