PDA

View Full Version : Other Techniques How do you wear your camera with neck strap?

Pitata
03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
I was thinking about neck straps today. How do you wear your camera?
Would be interesting to know what camera you use as well.
http://a.imagehost.org/0182/Camera.jpg

travelfotografer
03-30-2008, 02:28 PM
None of the above :D

On my shoulder, UPStrap style.

Ravenwing
03-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Also none of the above. E1, wrist strap. Love your illustrations though!:D

KellysCayman
03-30-2008, 03:54 PM
If I use a strap its just over my shoulder, for the most part I use a hand strap.

However I just ordered a new strap that looks like it will work with how I shoot.

http://www.blackrapid.com/video.php

Take Care

Kelly

DoubleDAZ
03-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow! That looks like something I might really like, especially for my trip to Europe next year. By all means, please let us know how it works after you get it.

Tertulia
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Always wrist strap as it offers a supplementary grip point and a lot of freedom to move. If I climb and I need both my hands free, I put the camera for a while in the backpack or put the strap diagonally over my body and move the camera to the back.

OCULUS NY
03-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Depends on the lens mounted. Longer lenses I always keep it on my shoulder and actually slung behind me. If I am in a shot-rich area, then I'll let it rest on my belly. I do miss my E-1 wrist strap, but don't miss the added bulk of that battery pack.
Ray Hull

Rand47
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Have not used a neck strap since about 1980. Always hated the metal "clanking." With the new lug system I'll have to give it a go sometime and see what I think. Mostly, they are just in the way while shooting.

er1kksen
03-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Always over one shoulder diagonal across my body. Hanging it around my neck it tends to get in my way too easily.

refiningman
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Me too "none of the above". I just got a Think Tank Photo camera strap that clips to the shoulder harness I use with the Change Up, so the harness takes the weight of the camera plus lens. The camera is at mid-chest level with this, but no weight on the shoulders from the camera strap.

I haven't had a chance to use this when hiking as yet.

Peter

Pontiac005
03-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Strapped over my shoulder. If I am in a crowd of people, then I will wear it around my neck and let the camera sit on the upper part of my stomach.

tspore
03-30-2008, 09:55 PM
I usually wear it over my shoulder, If I need to secure the camera, than slug across by body, can't get to it quick, but at least I know it is secure. I usually use an upstrap, and that really saves the camera from slipping off. Probably the best strap I have ever used.

Kyle Jones
03-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I stopped using a neck strap after noticing that my arm and chest tingled after wearing it. Some kind of nerve tweakage, near as I could tell. It went away when I stopped using the strap. Now I just carry the camera in my hand or in my backpack when I'm not using it. If I drop it, I drop it. One benefit is that I no longer have to worry about the camera strap hooking something and dragging it out of the camera bag when I need to pull the camera out in a hurry.

BL3
03-30-2008, 11:49 PM
I never use neck straps--I'm just too clumsy. For me, Neck Strap plus Camera equals Damage, as the poor camera becomes a pendulum. I have, more than once, crimped a filter onto the end of a lens as a result of banging my rig against something while using a neck strap (You'd think I'd have learned after the first one!). If I need to secure my camera, I'll use a "quickdraw" to clip it onto something through the ever-present grip strap. Quickdraws are mountain climber double-carabiner-things that I use at work to secure equipment inside a helicopter.

Rocky

250swb
03-31-2008, 12:05 AM
If I have it on my chest it would be at medium height, but mostly I have the strap wrapped around my wrist for shooting.

Carrying it around I have the strap over my shoulder with the lens facing inwards towards my body, so if the camera swings out the back of the body takes any knocks.

assafx
03-31-2008, 12:48 AM
None of the above.
maybe it's my short Army service with the IDF but like a gun, it's laying on my back on my front while strapped to me diagonally.

Assaf

Pitata
03-31-2008, 03:23 AM
If I use a strap its just over my shoulder, for the most part I use a hand strap.

However I just ordered a new strap that looks like it will work with how I shoot.

Take Care

Kelly

Wow i really like that one. But doesn't it rotate with just one fastening point to the camera?

bg2b
03-31-2008, 04:52 AM
I quit using a neck strap; it was just getting in my way too much.

OlyNik
03-31-2008, 05:35 AM
Neck strap? I don't need to stinking neck straps.... Seriously though, my E3 only has a strap when the extended grip is installed (the wrist strap Olympus makes.) I do have Optech straps attached to my E1 & E510, but only the lower portions without the neoprene. When I do carry one of the cameras, I wrap the strap around my wrist only.
Tried using the neck strap, but kept hitting things as I moved and the camera moved around.

mick_finn
03-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Always over one shoulder diagonal across my body. Hanging it around my neck it tends to get in my way too easily.

Same modus operandi here :action-smiley-020:

That way the camera is easy to shift over on the back if not used or it can lay on the chest for fast access if needed.

DonR
03-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Binocular Harness:

I bought a Binocular Harness for my camera. It holds the camera tighter against my chest and keeps it from swinging out. With my lighter Leica V-LUX 1 it worked perfectly but my wife had to double the elastic strap for the E-510 - 50-200 combination.

The harness actually helps to hold the camera steadier for my hand held and monopol shots. I have quick release conncecters for when I need to raise it over my head. The harness also takes care of the neck strain problem when you are hicking.

Michael Meissner
03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
I don't know, I change straps and position often enough that I don't have a particular style. I don't like having a camera around my neck but I will do it in some cases. I have modified all of my straps to use the same quick connect scheme so that I can switch as needed, or even remove the strap all together. Some of the ways I carry my camera(s) are:

Using a wrist strap I made out of a dog leash so that the camera can dangle from my wrist if I am jostled without problems (I have two wrist straps, one that attaches to the tripod screw thread when I'm using the neck strap also, and the other that attaches to the normal quick release mechanism);
Having the neck strap wrapped around my hand when I don't have the wrist strap available;
On my right shoulder and not over my neck;
In my shoulder bag with the back up, ready to be drawn at a moments notice;
Neck strap over my neck and right shoulder;
Neck strap over my neck and left shoulder (if carrying my bag on my right shoulder);
Neck strap with camera about chest high;
OP/tech reporter two camera strap with E-1 mounted high and E-510 mounted low; (and)
With lighter cameras, I used to use the OP/tech gotcha wrist strap, but that is not strong enough for a DSLR.

OllyBBommel
03-31-2008, 08:39 AM
I was thinking about neck straps today. How do you wear your camera?
Would be interesting to know what camera you use as well.
http://a.imagehost.org/0182/Camera.jpg
As I am riding my bike most of the times, with my E3/35-100F2, I wear the neckstrap over my left sholder, so, when I step of my bike, I shoot "straight from the hip"!
OBB

ckrueger
03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Like Michael, I move my straps (and my bags) around constantly to prevent strain.

My E-410 lives around my neck. It's so small and light I can use it this way indefinitely.

My other bodies are heavier, and they all have permanent hand straps. That's all I use if the kit isn't very heavy (ie: 300/2.8) and/or I won't need to drop the camera quickly for some reason... I put the camera in the bag when I need to put it down.

If I'll need both hands, I use Op/Tech straps and alternate between using the strap on either shoulder, across my neck either way, or around my neck (only if it's a light kit).

My 300/2.8 gets special treatment. It's always strapped across my body one way or the other, and I let it ride behind me. High enough that it won't bounce, but low enough that I have plenty of slack to shoot. I leave it like this with or without a body, and only swing it to my front to carry it when I want to shoot. This works pretty well with my Op/Tech straps; they do a good job of forcing the load on your shoulder rather than against your neck.

Kyle Jones
03-31-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks for that link, Kelly. I think this strap might be just the thing for my street work when I'm carrying two bodies.

Rockin Ronnie
03-31-2008, 05:55 PM

Take Care

Kelly

I tried to look for a price and a retailer but did not find it. Would you know offhand?

Ron

Will Sawtelle
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Binocular Harness:

I bought a Binocular Harness for my camera. It holds the camera tighter against my chest and keeps it from swinging out. With my lighter Leica V-LUX 1 it worked perfectly but my wife had to double the elastic strap for the E-510 - 50-200 combination.

The harness actually helps to hold the camera steadier for my hand held and monopol shots. I have quick release conncecters for when I need to raise it over my head. The harness also takes care of the neck strain problem when you are hicking.

I've used a binocular harness, too, from time to time. Depending on what I'm doing and wearing, I like it. It can be a bit clumsy to get into, but once you put it on, it is very secure. The twin elastic straps across both shoulders help stabilize the camera. If I'm in a suit, though, the straps are too clumsy, and I switch to a neck strap.

How I wear the neck strap depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes it is looped around my forearm, other times over my neck and still other times, either over one shoulder or diagonally across my neck. I haven't found that there is 'one true way' for carrying the camera.

KellysCayman
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Glad to help Kyle! I will let you know how I like mine when it arrives. They are waiting on delivery of their next order so it might take 2-4 weeks before I see mine!

Ron, click on the image of the straps on the left to see the prices.
http://www.blackrapid.com/rs2.php

I got the Rs2...

Take Care

Malakor
03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Slung over my shoulder bandoleer style, that way I can easily park it round the back when not in use - plus it doesn't continually bump up and down when I'm walking along. I'd be too worried about dropping it if I had a wrist strap, especially if I lost my footing over uneven ground!

jorgen
04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I hardly ever have any of them (300, 500, 510) around the neck, so none of the above. I prefer to have the camera over my shoulder with the LCD monitor out so I don't bang the lens. If I wear a heavy lens zoomed out fully (50-200 with TC14 or 135-400mm), I also hold the lens to support it.

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com

4/3_Pickles
04-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I like the Y Strap (http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/) instead of the R-Strap mentioned before.

The R-Strap has a Hook that you can click to a D-ring on a quick release plate, or you have to get the tripod hook attachment. The tripod attachment method, with the star gear shaped device, seems like it has the possibility of coming loose and that ain't good.

Stephen M. Schaub is the guy behind the Y Strap and doesn't use the tripod socket. The video on his site shows him using a Leica, but the strap works equally well with a DSLR, and is cheaper than the other too. Also, he makes a strap for stability too, called the NoPod (http://figitalrevolution.com/the-no-pod/)

By the way, Stephen's second book Through A Glass Darkly (http://www.polaroid.com/studio/artists/schaub/index.html) is part of the Polaroid Collection

ckrueger
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
That's a clever solution, Craig. I've something similar, hooking both ends of a strap to a single lug, and pulling the camera up like he does with the Y Strap, but the motion isn't nearly as smooth as with his method.

Seems it's just a thin band and a large loop that attaches to the camera. Not very complex at all.

Thanks for the link!

lendur2
04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that link, Kelly. I think this strap might be just the thing for my street work when I'm carrying two bodies.

Please explain. I watched the video and the demonstrator only had one body; and there seemed no obvious way to accomodate a second. I too wish to carry two bodies each with a lens.

vloher
04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi Lendur2,

I don't carry 2 bodies, but couldn't you put a strap over each shoulder?

Victor

4/3_Pickles
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't carry 2 bodies, but couldn't you put a strap over each shoulder?

If you are referring to something like the Y-Strap (http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/), then you could, but the one that you put on first wouldn't work too well. It's strap would be behind the other one when they crossed. If it doesn't make sense, then you need to see the video to see how it works. it would be good to have one Y-Strapped, and the other on a monopod or tripod or laying on the ground :eek:

Petephoto1
04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Well I'm glad to see there was a some very valid points to this post, the two straps posted are great ideas. Best Pete

Neil
04-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I stopped using neck straps long ago. They just become annoying.

I do however, use wrist straps for security. Gordy's all the way!