PDA

View Full Version : Lens Topics Some 14-35 f/2 images

tri-x
04-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi all,

Here are a few quick results taken last night and today from my 14-35 f/2 ... mostly in far from easy lighting conditions.

http://www.donaldingram.com/ZD1435test1/index.htm

e.g.
http://www.donaldingram.com/ZD1435test1/images/ZD1435test-13.jpg

Most of the indoor shot were taken at f/2
All the images are un-cropped with only level/color tweaks in RAW.

A few observations:

With the hood, it's noticeably bigger than the 7-14mm.

Very useable at full aperture all focal lengths, also works fine as a everyday lens. No buyer regrets.

Corner light fall off seems non-existent.

Even in the corners f/2 seems almost sharp enough even for landscape at 25-35mm.
14mm benefits from a little stopping down for micro-detail at infinity, showing the smallest hint of coma in street lights when pixel peeping the corners.

The SWD drive AF does overshoot and judder about a bit in low light.
The 7-14mm seemed to do better in the same conditions, so I hope a little firmware tweak can improve it.

Reflections are apparent with extremely bright sources especially at the wide end, but not bad considering there are 18 elements.

Geometric distortion seems very well controlled.
A4/letter sized shots taken a f/2 14/25/35mm show at close range there is a bit of barrel at 14mm, but that's not really what the lens would normally be used for.

E B
04-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Looks like a very nice lens. I expect to have mine soon.

dh202
04-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Those charts on your site are marked 'top secret'
Are you going to have to shoot us all for viewing them?;)

Nice pics thanks for the post and review!

jkline
04-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I expect to have mine soon.

Hi English Bob,

Where are you getting your 14-35? B&H never notified me when they got their few in. I've had one on order at Amazon for quite some time--but they are now saying one to two months. I'd love to get one for a trip I'm taking next week.

Cheers,
John

cifcap
04-06-2008, 12:30 AM
From the reviews the few early adopters have made I see it has very little compromises. That's exactly why I'm saving money and place an order in the May time-frame.

JW

E B
04-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Supplies are pretty skimpy right now, and I don't know of anybody that has them in stock so I don't know where to get one. Personally, I never preorder. When I see one of the vendors I consider reliable has them in stock, I'll order then. At the slow rate they're filling the supply pipeline now, I wouldn't have much hope to have one by the end of the week. I'd guess they will be more readily available nearer the end of the month.

refiningman
04-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Yep, preordering does not seem to get you a lens any quicker. I preordered the 50-200SWD from Amazon, it was delayed at least twice that I can remember, then I saw B&H had them in stock so I immediately ordered one and canceled the Amazon order.

You just have to keep checking B&H or others like Buydig

Peter

Edit: I saw earlier this week Buydig has the 50-200SWD for $999 now.

E B
04-06-2008, 08:04 AM
I saw earlier this week Buydig has the 50-200SWD for $999 now.

A much better price.

Kyle Jones
04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
My first reaction was: "Man, those skin tones are AWFUL. Those people look like mannequins!" :doh:

refiningman
04-06-2008, 01:50 PM
A much better price.

EB: Agreed, although I have no regrets about purchasing mine early. I doubt if the 14-35 price will drop $200 soon after introduction but you never know...

Peter

atmosphere
04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
My first reaction was: "Man, those skin tones are AWFUL. Those people look like mannequins!" :doh:

ROFLMAO

E B
04-06-2008, 02:26 PM
No, I think it will hold it price very well. I expect Olympus has underestimated demand for it even with its high price.

tspore
04-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh my I looked last night, and thought, something is wrong with the skin tones.... Shoot today I realize, it was my tired eyes. Having a 3 week old is really killing my sleep time.

tri-x
04-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Sorry for not explaining the bunker scenario ;)

Here are links to this macabre tourist attraction:
http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/explore_the_bunker.asp
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/features/rotor/
All the top secret stuff was obsolete by 1958 - only a few years after the finished the system.

The lens, I got lucky and spotted it on the B&H site and pressed the buy-now button before they had time to send out the In-stock e-mails.
I don't know how many they had - anyone else here get one?

Kaiser Soze
04-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi guys I just got back from my Caribbean Cruise with Olympus. I got to use the 35-100 the whole trip! I also got to play with the 14-35 for a few minutes on our last day. Although she is a big girl, she is much lighter then you would think. Not much heavier then the 14-54. Also there are only 50 of these lenses in the whole country right now. congrats on the few of us who were able to snag one.

Pssst, hey there is going to be a DSLR released this year between the 510 and E-3.

refiningman
04-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh my I looked last night, and thought, something is wrong with the skin tones.... Shoot today I realize, it was my tired eyes. Having a 3 week old is really killing my sleep time.

It looked very much like Canon's skin tones :naughty:

Hey - just kidding

Peter

refiningman
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Pssst, hey there is going to be a DSLR released this year between the 510 and E-3.

OK, I'll be the bunny. Details? Timing?

Peter

Kaiser Soze
04-07-2008, 01:00 AM
OK, I'll be the bunny. Details? Timing?

Peter

Sorry, I wasn't told that.