PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Urban 40 by Think tank

Petephoto1
05-12-2008, 05:38 PM
My Think Urban 40 came in today! I have needed a new bag for some time now, so clicked through finally (kudos to Four thirds) to Think tank to take a look? There are many styles and sizes and options to choose in this model called the Urban disguise. I looked at my present gear and my gear list of the future and made my choice by using their specís. I was surprised at all that it came with a CF card holder called the Pee-wee pocket rocket ,inside accessories bag ( which I keep extra lens caps and other small items) that has a lanyard attached so it stays with you, extra cushion separators ,a rain cover, which I still have to find and a very sturdy shoulder sling .Tough zippers and four back d-rings for a shoulder pack rig. But If you go that route look at the 360 for hiking.
Spent some time thinking it through and started to carefully adjusting and putting gear in different locations that I would find accessible to me when slung over my shoulder ,keeping mind weight. Lenís in the main compartment of the bag a 14-45, 135-400, 50-200 with Olympus E-3 attached and the E-510 under the front flap with lens off and capped, though a nice Olympus 25 mm pani would fit no problem there . I decided on adding a drop in lens/converter pouch.. but the problem was attaching it so I can get to it , not a problem after trying some different configurations ( had an extra small shoulder clip strap from an old camera) .I attached it on the back end of the Urban 40's d-rings and ran the strap under the front flaps. Then straps to the other end of the front of the bag in a loose fit and attached them to the metal D ring. Let me tell you allot of thought from photographers like you and me went into these designs through years in development .Quality is second to none ! See thumbnails below. Cheers Pete

Godfrey
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Great bag, isn't it? I use the 50 quite a lot, it's amazing how much stuff it can hold.

Godfrey

Gary_Berg
05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I put my E-500 with lens facing up (so the LCD is on the bottom). I place the rain cover under the camera. This sits in the center compartment. I then put my longer lens vertically in a compartment to the left and my FL-36 in a compartment to the right. And I put filters in the pocket in the inside of the bag, and scatter stuff through the rest of it.

I didn't think I'd like the included strap, but it turns out to be very comfortable and seems glued to my shoulder.

Petephoto1
05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Godfrey you bet it is ! :)... Gary Berg countless ways to store many items, thank you for your way you short the gear . I put the E-3 facing lens down hood reversed with plastic sock guard( my own idea) on so I can grab the grip... LCD is flipped to protect it.I would recommend if you have more gear and can carry it ( such as laptop ) to go the next larger models in the series.Model's below the urban 40 have their place as a two lens and one camera day kits. Study the options there are many.Cheers Pete

250swb
05-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the review Pete, I got my Urban 40 yesterday based on your report.

As somebody who has bought more than his fair share of poor shoulder bags over the years trying to find the perfect one, I have to say I am as delighted as could be!

I don't like carrying to much camera gear, body/lens, telephoto, perhaps a flash or one other lens, cable release and a few filters. And it is easy finding a bag that takes those things, but finding a bag that also comfortably takes the detritus that follows me around, like maps, water, food, pen, notepad etc etc without being the next size up and into small medium format territory is more difficult. So the Urban Diguise 40 fits my bill perfectly, a compact bag that swallows far more equipment than you could normally expect.

As you say, build quality is very impressive, and it has more pockets than I know what to do with.

Cheers
Steve

Petephoto1
05-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Steve, glad you are happy with it as much as I'm ! :)

I started switching mine around ,took the strap off the converter drop in lens pouch and just attached with two dog clips , works fine and let it hang . I also took the extra Velcro inserts and line the the sides and the bottom for the E-3 and lens down in the center of the bag. Made a lens pouch to the left of that bottom holds extra lens then a separator on top of that and on top of that my E-510 with 14-42 attached fit in length wise with hold reversed and lens cap on then closed the top with a Velcro separator.I also like to carry only what I need. Cheers Pete

Godfrey
05-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I keep reconfiguring the UD50 ... I normally use it as the "big gear bag" when I'm out on a shoot and carry a smaller shooting bag for when I'm moving around more. It usually stays in the car and I load the shooting bag with what I'm working with at the moment.

But I've used it as the shooting bag too, for when the minimum I needed to carry about was simply more than I could carry any other way!

Godfrey

Petephoto1
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Godfrey thats the beauty of these bags! talk about thinking . You could put one bag your "day one"Urban 20 or 10 inside the other Urban 50 if you choose. I'm pretty much happy with my 40 , but down the road you never know. Cheers my friends Pete

Petephoto1
08-13-2008, 06:43 PM
A working field rig( 2 lens carry+ camera)-----adding in the Pro belt ( XL)and the shoulder harness/camera straps with interlocking LC-75 drop in pouch ( on right) for the 50-200 mm lens or larger with hood on and second pouch beside that 12-60mm, the speed changer kit ( on left out of sight, by the bulk of me body) , four thirds cap and shades ,snow shovel handle( minus the shovel part cut off). Makes for my in the woods walks, I find everything right where I need and no dropped lens, only back into the pouch. Thats me you could configure something else like the " Change up" or nothing at all just the camera and lens you and Gordy's hand strap or Y-strap. Cheers Pete

also see > http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8144&d=1218251523

Petephoto1
08-16-2008, 01:58 PM
For those that want to go even lighter "Street smart" all you need is a pouch and a strap, the pouch has a tear away Velcro flap for belt attachment !Any size pouch you can set up for this depending on lens size. This one is a T.T water bottle pouch I used, it will fit the 12-60mm lens , tho I would suggest one that is padded by Think tank.:) see photos> Cheers Pete

lendur2
08-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Thank you, Pete, I've copied down all you've said. Someone else has highly recommended Think Tank's Urban Disguise series, and maybe a 30, although with your testimony, I'm now inclining towards the 40.

Petephoto1
08-17-2008, 10:25 AM
lendur 2, I hope you are please with your choice as I . :)Count your lens/bodies and put your thinking cap on, so to speak. If not pleased .. change up to another model, they have that policy. cheers Pete

PS : don't forget free stuff credit from 4/3's cc-131 see home page of this site.

Petephoto1
10-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I found this outdoor stool at a tag sale , and thought to post it here , will be using it in the future for bird photgraphy. Its is made by woodstream and as you can see has pockets on the side and the lid/seat area turns 360 degrees's it also opens up to store lunch/thermo's and a well wrapped extra lens. The strap though I think I will replace. Cheers Pete

Petephoto1
01-24-2009, 09:21 AM
A good product read that should not be missed.:cool: cheers

Petephoto1
03-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Another great product in a shoulder camera strap is the R-strap Rs-4 , check it out , Google it. cheers Pete

graycyn
04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I just picked up the Urban Disguise 40 on eBay, new, for almost half price! I couldn't pass it up, because I have my first DSLR, the E620 and no bag to store all my gear.

It arrived yesterday! I have stashed my FL-36R flash, my 70-300mm, an OM 50mm, the 40-150mm and the camera with 14-42mm quite easily and there is room for more by putting in extra dividers and stacking lenses. The lenses are stashed with hoods in reversed position. I could easily set the 40-150 on top of the 70-300 and still have room to close the bag. And nothing is so tight that you can't easily pull a lens out.

My camera fits with lens on and LCD up, so I can grab it easily. I am thinking about raising those dividers, if I do, I might be able to fit the camera in there with a zoom and lens hood in the ready position instead of reversed.

The 40 is probably bigger than I can comfortably carry for long on my shoulder if it is fully filled, so I am going to primarily use it for gear storage and travel. But if I don't load it up heavily, it is so far more much comfy feeling than other bags I've tried. So I could easily see using it for day trips with a light load.

If there is one con, it is trying to remember in which pocket you've put what, LOL! There are a LOT of pockets! At any rate, it appears very well made and doesn't scream camera bag.

Delphititan
05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I picked up one of these about a year ago for more than you paid, but it is well worth the price. I also have one of its big brothers, the UD60 for travel with my laptop. They are both configured comfortably now for what I typically do. Another forum member gave me some ideas for reconfiguring my UD40 for easy access and use. I really do appreciate the help I get from other forum members.

Thank you for posting a well written commentary on how it is working out for you.

Dan