PDA

View Full Version : Attach a thumb?

Don Baldwinson
05-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Can anyone tell me please, how to attach a thumb to a photo thread here, if you forgot to include it when you started the thread. The edit screen does not include the paperclip function.
Thanks,
Don

Hudsonhites
05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
This posting may help Don

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=36525

jebir
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi Don,

click on" Go Advanced" below the edit window and in the new layout that appears, go down below what is viewable on the screen and click on the "Manage Attachments"-button. That will open the ordinary attachment upload window and you can upload the thumbnail through there. You don't need to insert it into the message to make it visible as an icon beside your post in the forum - having it visible at the bottom in the panel showing "Attached images" is enough.

Cheers, Jens.

Johannes
05-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Don,

click on" Go Advanced" below the edit window and in the new layout that appears, go down below what is viewable on the screen and click on the "Manage Attachments"-button. That will open the ordinary attachment upload window and you can upload the thumbnail through there. You don't need to insert it into the message to make it visible as an icon beside your post in the forum - having it visible at the bottom in the panel showing "Attached images" is enough.

Cheers, Jens.

Call me stupid Johannes, I still cannot figure it out... or because I use firefox?

Don Baldwinson
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks Hudson and Jens. Especially Jens since I told off last week:)
Johannes......er, it works now for me using Firebox, but I don't think you are any stupider than me!
Cheers,
Don

Johannes
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks Hudson and Jens. Especially Jens since I told off last week:)
Johannes......er, it works now for me using Firebox, but I don't think you are any stupider than me!
Cheers,
Don
Don, I saw you did the thumb of your Tui photo post :)
My question is, if I post a photo by using an outside link, then I still have to upload attachment for thumbnail?

tspore
05-19-2008, 10:58 PM
My question is, if I post a photo by using an outside link, then I still have to upload attachment for thumbnail?

Yes their is no way for the board, to take an external shot hosted elsewhere, and make a thumbnail out of it.

It is really nice, when people just attach a thumbnail - 125x125 and than link in a photo. But really no rules for that.

Moving this to the Question and Comment forum.

Don Baldwinson
05-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Yes their is no way for the board, to take an external shot hosted elsewhere, and make a thumbnail out of it.

It is really nice, when people just attach a thumbnail - 125x125 and than link in a photo. But really no rules for that.

Moving this to the Question and Comment forum.
Hi Tony,
Thanks for dealing with this. Now, I'm going to drive you mad, because I'm a computer klutz!
From what you say above, it is better for loading on your site, for us to put a thumb of our image into our post, then link it to a larger image on our web host? This seems reasonable to me. But for the love of me, I can't find out how to do this. I wondered if you could do a sticky, because I can't find how to do this in the FAQ. It may be there somewhere, but as I said I'm a brainless wonder when it comes to computers.
Cheers,
Don
(I renewed my Forum subscription today, and really appreciate what you have done for Oly enthusiasts)

DonR
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't know how I did it but when I posted a resized to 4x6 photo of "Another Butterfly" from my computer a thumb nail was posted at the same time. As far as I know, I didn't do anything more than browse My Pictures and attach the 4x6 I had resized for the post. I was supprised when the thumb nail was there.

tspore
05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Ok their are 2 ways to bring a photo into the site -
#1- Attachment - Basically this uploads a photo from your computer or another website. You either click on the paperclip above or if you are in the advanced editor the "Manage attachments" below. When you do this It pulls the photos from either the other website or your computer and places them on this server. This is fine to do, but for everyone, attachments have a limit.
You can manage those attachments in your usercp (http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/profile.php?do=editattachments)
The photo attachment is than uploaded and processed by the server to be displayed on this site.
IF the attachment is in the photos forum it than places the thumbnail at the beginning of the thread, to show the image. Which is very nice in my opinion.

#2 - Linking - If you link in a photo from another host - such as smugmug, pbase, .mac, etc.... your photo is than being still hosted through that company. You simply embed the images in a
imagehere
or you click on the mountain picture above. and past in the url of the image.
The server never touches the image.
If it is a very wide image, javascript will resize the image down to be displayed in its own window, to not totally screw up the layout of the forum.

Which one is better? Both and neither. Really each has its place.

jebir
01-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I have seen that other users get their thumbnails inserted at large size and sometimes they become klickable and then they open with a dark toned background.

When attach and then insert my attached images into the text via the paperclip icon, they always show up at thumbnail sizes. What am I missing?
Here is an example: http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showpost.php?p=360053&postcount=2

Cheers, Jens.

bg2b
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I attach the image (upload to 43photo), preview the message, right click on the thumbnail image to open the full image in a new tab, copy the URL, and then go back to the original message, click insert image, and paste the URL into the prompt box. That gives you a normal-sized inline image, plus a thumbnail.

jebir
01-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks a lot! http://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Cheers, Jens.