PDA

View Full Version : Accessories The retro case.. form over function?

marcof
05-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Today I received the Olympus E4xx retro case.
It's actually a very nice looking case, consisting of a bottom part and a top cover. The latter can be purchased in a small or large format, fitting either the body+25mm or body+14-42mm casing. Of course, the large fits both.

The bottom part slides over the body. I thought it would be like "the old times" where you screwed it onto the tripod mount, but that is not the case. The bottom part fits very snugly around the body and even holding it upside down won't result in a falling camera. The camera strap goes through two loops that are on the bottom part.
The bottom actually gives a nice large grip to the E4xx, so people who like a bit more volume in their hands will welcome this.

The top half is attached to the bottom by those old-fashioned metal buttons.. I forgot the english name. it swings around body+lens and attaches with another pair of buttons on the bottom half. That's the first thing.. you need some time detaching and attaching the buttons.. since they're two it's not really quick to do. The leather is rather stiff as well, so some force is needed.

Anyway, at least that is the intention.. BUT, the designers must have had a braindump, because if you leave the sunshade ON THE LENS, the case won't close! It is about half a centimeter short mostly because the shade "hooks" into the top case instead of going into the lens area (see image). Stupid mistake, and I sent an email to olympus about it instantly (the answer was that he'd take care of it at the next prod. mgr meeting in hamburg - coming week - and he also said that the designers are clearly not users... I think that may be true).

So, the only way to use the case properly is with either sunshade reversed or removed. Now.. that kind of defeats the always ready methaphor...

attached are some (crappy camphone) shots of camera and case.

The big PLUS is... the leather smells so gooooooood! ... sniffffffff :D

I'm actually considering to return the case.. or exchange it for the 25mm version.. don't know..

roger h
05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Ah, Marco... the return of the "Never-Ready" case. I see it hasn't improved any since its introduction in the '1940s... :D

Roger

Johannes
05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Brown color is nice. :)

marcof
05-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Ah, Marco... the return of the "Never-Ready" case. I see it hasn't improved any since its introduction in the '1940s... :D

Roger

actually, I have a petri (with that case) from somewhere in the 40-50-60s (not sure) and it works much better than the above. Because it only has one button to close it. and it's shaped much better.

oh well.. you can't have it all. it's a nice case for light travel.. if you do not need to be quick :)

Godfrey
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
In the dim recesses of time, I used to use the body-half of the 'ever ready' camera case with my Nikon F Photomic FTn all the time. I liked the feel of the leather and thickness/gripping surface it lent the body.

I've considered several times buying one of these 'half cases' for my Leica M and now Panasonic L1 cameras over the years based on that experience. The digital cameras are harder to fit with one of these that is as useful and elegant as we are more dependent upon all the buttons, switches, and LCD for camera control but I would enjoy having a good one for the incidental protection and feel that it offers.

Unfortunately the only one I can find available for the L1 is over $350 ... handmade and beautifully finished, yes, but that's pretty darn pricey!

Godfrey

Johannes
05-21-2008, 10:49 AM
The big PLUS is... the leather smells so gooooooood! ... sniffffffff :D

Like new car, right? :D

actually considering to return the case.. or exchange it for the 25mm version.. don't know..

Keep it and buy one more for the 25mm. :p:D