PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Velbon ball head

Don Kondra
05-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Greetings,

My new Velbon QHD-71Q ball head arrived from B&H yesterday, $113.50 not including taxes or shipping. FYI the tripod with pan head was purchased locally for $150 not including taxes...

First impression was good, installation was a snap. Nice smooth movement and even with the 70-300 I had no trouble holding the camera with one hand while securing the lever (which I like better than a round knob).

Some nit picking, the ball is covered with grease and no matter how careful you are you end up touching it. I'll try cleaning some off and see if it affects the movement.

The quick release plate is a different size than for the pan head, minor point but.... and the bolt to attach the plate to the camera does not have a flip up handle like the pan head plate, it is a snap off and use as a screwdriver style.

This I found a little weird, the shape of the quick release plate is long and narrow. You would assume you would mount it so it is reasonably flush with the bottom of the camera.

If you do, it blocks access to the battery compartment.. I think this could be an incorrect assumption on my part on how it should be mounted..

With the plate turned 90 degrees it is basically as wide as the screen and both levels are easily visible, one to the side, one to the back. Also the controls on the right of the back of the camera are fully accessible.

The plate is proud of the back of the camera by about an inch but I did not find it getting in the way of using the viewfinder.

In this configuration the quick release lever is in front of the camera and just barely clears the barrel of the 70-300. It can be reversed so the lever is at the back if you prefer but then the levels are to the side and in front of the camera..??

Once you have set up the shot and tightened the lever, the camera will very slightly sag just a hair.

Keeping this in mind, it is a simple matter to allow for it and I would not count this as a negetive. Once secured it is Secure.

In general I'm very pleased and look forward to using it.

Cheers, Don

The heavy-duty Velbon QHD-71Q Magnesium Quick Release Ball Socket Head is made from magnesium alloy, with a built-in full-size quick release mechanism. The magnesium construction allows a 20% weight reduction over traditional metals, while it still maintains the same stability and quality.

The Velbon QHD-71Q features a one-touch locking knob which controls both the panning and ball movement at the same time. A large plate is supplied with the quick release system on the QHD-71Q, accommodating it's increased load capacity of up to 13.2 lb.

refiningman
05-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Greetings,

In this configuration the quick release lever is in front of the camera and just barely clears the barrel of the 70-300. It can be reversed so the lever is at the back if you prefer but then the levels are to the side and in front of the camera..??

Cheers, Don

Don:

I have an older model Velbon ball head. When the locking lever is slackened off, you should be able to rotate the camera plate and ball separate from the base so you can align the slot either side to side or front to back as you wish, and also to get the lever out of the way, not to interfere with the bottom of the lens or camera.

Peter

Don Kondra
05-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Peter,

The lever I'm referring to is the camera/plate release lever. The lever for operating/securing the ball is indeed able to rotate to any position, I prefer to use my left hand.......

To clarify, on my older Velbon the camera screwed directly onto the top of the ball, on this model there is a seperate plate that attaches to the camera and the lever to release that plate from the ball is what I was referring to....

Cheers, Don

refiningman
05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Don: Ah, sorry. My old Velbon had no camera plate, I bought one from Kirk separately (and yes it's screw knob does get in the way at times).

Peter