PDA

View Full Version : Accessories RM-1 infa red remote and battery

Petephoto1
07-05-2008, 06:58 PM
For taking photos on tripod in bulb mode and lower shutter speeds.

Battery is CR2025 Lithium.

MetilHed
07-05-2008, 08:45 PM
I find the remote very useful when using a tripod and/or live view. Just reach around to the left a little and click. No camera shake from me pushing the button, and no need to set a delay to avoid it. I am actually using the RM-1 that came with my Olympus C4040-Z from 6 or 7 years back. Maybe even 8.

Jeff

Michael Meissner
07-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I find the remote very useful when using a tripod and/or live view. Just reach around to the left a little and click. No camera shake from me pushing the button, and no need to set a delay to avoid it. I am actually using the RM-1 that came with my Olympus C4040-Z from 6 or 7 years back. Maybe even 8.

Jeff
On the other hand, once I got the RM-CB1 (for E-1 and eventually E-3) or RM-UB1 (for E-510) I no longer used the RM-1. It is real nice to be able to do bulb mode without having to aim the RM-1 in front of the camera, especially tonight when I was trying to get fireworks pictures.

The RM-1 was nice in my older cameras (C-2100UZ, C-40Z, C-8080WZ), but I prefer the wired shutter releases.

Petephoto1
07-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Mike , it would of been nice for OLY to include the RM-1 with the E-dslr kits, oh well. My failure was do to wrong battery ( a 2016) instead of the 2025 ( Thanks to Jeff, whom pointed that out... reason for this post). Cheers Pete

travelfotografer
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Michael, I find that with the IR remote, there is a delay from pressing the button the remote and the shutter tripping, even with the "no delay" remote mode. Do you find the remote cable much more responsive? Also, is it possible to do a half-depress on the wired remote?

Reto
07-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Do you find the remote cable much more responsive? Also, is it possible to do a half-depress on the wired remote?
Yes and yes - I have also both, the cable release is as instanteneous as the "normal" shutter release button and the half-press works as with the shutter button. For the 510 I bought a no-name cable release off some site for a fraction of the original's price and I like that one even more than the RM-CB1, as the half- and full-press give a better tactile feedback.

Cheers
Reto

Michael Meissner
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Michael, I find that with the IR remote, there is a delay from pressing the button the remote and the shutter tripping, even with the "no delay" remote mode. Do you find the remote cable much more responsive? Also, is it possible to do a half-depress on the wired remote?
Just to agree with Reto. Yes, the remote cable is much more responsive, and yes you can half-depress the wired remote. Note, I do wish Olympus would fix live view mode so a 1/2 press of the shutter would do the auto focus (particularly with a cable release), rather than having to press the AEL button. The cable releases also have a lock for doing long bulb modes. In reference to the original post about the RM-1 and battery, the wired cable releases do not need a battery.

The radio cable releases that JJC makes and gadgetinfinity sells do of course need batteries (they evidently make 2 versions, the older version is only good up to 15m, and uses non-rechargeable batteries in both transmitter and receiver, while the newer version uses a rechargeable battery and has a range up to 100m). I have not used these releases, but I've thought about getting them.

Alaska
07-08-2008, 12:14 AM
For the 510 I bought a no-name cable release off some site for a fraction of the original's price and I like that one even more than the RM-CB1, as the half- and full-press give a better tactile feedback.

Fresh off the experience of trying to photograph fireworks without a remote release, I zeroed right in on this thread, and after reading it decided to get the cable version. Others in my position might appreciate these links I dug up in my research:

Discussion of third party cable release from 2006:
http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=21150

A place to buy third party cable release:
http://stores.ebay.com/HKCarris-Photography-Australia-Shop