PDA

View Full Version : August '08 Photo Contest Winners

AnnF
09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Congratulations to the August Photo Contest winners.

The theme was "Hidden Subject".
1st and 2nd prize winners choose your prizes here:
http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=39510 and please send me a PM.
3rd and 4th place winners will have a chance at the end of the year for the Photographer of the Year.

1st prize winner: #26 - "Funnel Web Spider Peeking Around the Curve of its Hall" by ravenintherain (Dale Chase), 75 Points
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/360529466_jWuJn-M.jpg
Judges comments (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

|5| Subject: Fit's perfectly.
|5| Creativity: In my opinion it's the most creative shot in the contest.
|5| Composition: Well composed. The OOF web at the left side makes you feel as if you're inside the web. the DOF is also Excellent and keeps us focused at The Location of the spider. all of it makes feel as if the spider is about to jump you.
|5| Lighting: Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject? The flash was effective and the reflections from the web and the spider are marginal.
|5| Technical: Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly? Well exposed and the focus is right on the spot.
------------------

|5| Subject: Does the subject fit the theme? The subject fits well.
|5| Creativity: How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented? Very creative, very effective use of hidden.
|5| Composition: Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly? Well composed. Nice composition.
|5| Lighting: Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject? Nice use of flash
|5| Technical: Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly? Focus is excellent. Exposure is fine.
-----------------

|5| Subject: It's an intriguing shot of a dangerous subject.
|5| Creativity: Creative shot in that it looks like the spider is waiting and ready to pounce on it's victim.
|5| Composition: Good composition with the spider crouching in the lower portion of the shot. The eye is then led to the space in the front of the spider where perhaps a soon-to-be meal will happen by.
|5| Lighting: Well lit in just the right places to show off the subject and the entrance of it's lair.
|5| Technical: The dark and blurry foreground/background give depth to the shot, and help to make it obvious what and where the subject is.
-----------------

2nd Prize Winner: #13 - "Mysterious Kai"by lelay55, 63 Points
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/355830737_2R9AS-M.jpg

|5| Subject: Does the subject fit the theme? The subject fits perfectly.
|3| Creativity: How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented? I expected to see quite a few shots such as this one.
|5| Composition: Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly? Well composed. the look in her eyes is captivating and center your POV. the scarf hides the front of the face and the hair hides the sides and combines well with the dark background. The shade falling from her hair also adds to this excellent composition.
|5| Lighting: Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject? The light in this shot is perfect. the scarf is well lit and i love how the shadow from the hair falls on the face.
|4| Technical: Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly? The focus is right on the spot. the exposure is just as it should be since more exposure will ruin the soft colors and light.
---------------------

|3 Subject: The object in front of the girl does indicate she is somewhat hidden.
|3| Creativity: Good creativity.
|4| Composition: I like that her eyes follow the rule of thirds.
|3| Lighting: Lighting is good, but I am somewhat confused by the single catch light that is on the opposite side from the main lighting unless the main lighting was very high on camera right.
|4| Technical: Technically very nice, but I would like to have seen just a little more light in the eyes.
---------------------

|5| Subject: Nice use of hiding behind the scarf.
|5| Creativity: Well thought out use of the theme.
|4| Composition: The composition is good, though, just a hair centered for my taste.
|5| Lighting: Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject? Nicely lit with good catchlights in the eyes.
|5| Technical: Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly? Well exposed and the focus is right on the spot.
---------------------

3rd Place: #11 - "Beyond the Shadow" by anwmn1, 45 Points
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/353407937_83Fse-M.jpg

|5| Subject: Does the subject fit the theme? The subject fits well.
|4| Creativity: How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented? Plenty dramatic and effective. My favorite part of this shot was that it was seen. The sun peeking out of the hole in the rock face.
|3| Composition: Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly? Well
composed. This is my least favorite part of the shot. I would have liked to see it in the upper 1/3rd right corner.
|5| Lighting: Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject? Great job capturing the shadows and highlights.
|5| Technical: Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc ppropriately/correctly? Focus is fine. Exposure is excellent.
------------------------

|4| Subject: Closer to the subject than most of the others.
|5| Creativity: Very creative and good timing.
|5| Composition: Not too busy, with my eye being drawn from the lower left on to the upper right corner and back to the sun rays.
|5| Lighting: Very well done, good contrast of light and dark.
|4| Technical: Great capture parts of the sun rays through the rocks, and exposure well done.
------------------------

4th Place: #24 - "Hide-and-seek" by bg2b, 25 Points
http://43photo.smugmug.com/photos/359430665_yycNP-M.jpg

|5| Subject: One of the shots more suited to the theme.
|5| Creativity: Good use of the leaves in the foreground and the colors.
|5| Composition: Very pleasing shot of the boy behind the branches.
|5| Lighting: Well done, no distracting shadows.
|5| Technical: Exposure and focus right on.
------------------------

More comments:

#1 - "Old Style Country farmhouse hidden in a forest" by Rony Zmiri, 24 Points
|4| Subject: This house fits the theme as it appears to be tucked in behind the trees.
|3| Creativity: Overall good creativity.
|3| Composition: Although the subject is centered in the image, it looks nice. I may have cropped a little off the right side and bottom of the image. I like the tree in the foreground on the left.
|4| Lighting: Lighting is just about perfect on this shot.
|4| Technical: Technically, I would say this images is almost perfect.
------------------

|4| Lighting: Very good lighting, no distracting shadows.
|2| Technical: Good exposure and focus on the subject, but needs to be straightened clockwise just a tad.

#18 - "Hidden for 9 months" by Savyhilton, 19 Points
|3| Subject: Of all the submissions, this one comes closest - Hidden life.
|3| Creativity: The concept there, but I would have lost the B-o-y and just shown the womb. A little more thought and both the creativity and the Subject scores would have been 5?
|3| Composition: Again, a little more thought and this would have gotten a 5.
|5| Lighting: Well lit.

#16 - "I see you!" by Jimmybob, 14 points
|4| Subject: This image best fits the theme of hidden.
|2| Creativity: I would like to have seen more of the squirrel's face, but it is well done under the circumstance.
|3| Composition: The crop could possibly have been a little tighter and the subject is a little too close to the center of the image.
|2| Lighting: I assume this is all natural lighting which is quite good for being so deep in the trees.
|3| Technical: I think I would have toned down the blown highlights, but the subject seems properly exposed.

<style> <!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:"Arial"; font-size:x-small } --></style>#10 - "Rocky shore at night" by crussell, 13 points
|2| Subject: I assume these rocks are hidden under the water.
|3| Creativity: Good creativity. I like this image, but not sure why. Maybe it is the colors.
|2| Composition: Without knowing what is around this scene it is hard to say on the composition.
|3| Lighting: Lighting is very nice.
|3| Technical: Technically very nice. Maybe it would have had more punch if it was slightly brighter.

Vandy
09-12-2008, 01:23 AM
congrats to all. Great images!!!!

anwmn1
09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Congrats to the winners. Excellent shots in the contest.

DonR
09-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Kudos to all the winners. Great images and contest.

Bonanno
09-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Congrats to all!

zbahu
09-15-2008, 04:22 PM
A lot of interesting takes on the theme, the winning shots is excellent, as are the runners up.

Colin