PDA

View Full Version : Bodies / Media 1030sw Point n Shoot

buja99
11-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Just wanted to post a quick comment on this beatifully made p&s built to survive almost anything you can throw at it. It is waterproof to 33 ft, shock proof for drops and apparently freeze proof which makes it great for taking skiing on cold days.

The camera has a very useful 28-100 zoom range which made it attractive to me in addition to the above features. A lot of the images I saw on the net were OK at best and the reviews were not terribly glowing. What I have found about it is that the images need a little post processing. ie I like to think the images as almost raw quality files as there is very little in camera sharpening applied. I have found great success using lightroom and adding punch and sharpen portraits to the images. When those two presets are applied, all images aside from the 28mm ones look really quite good. Forget anything above iso 200 but outside Fuji I think all p&s suffer that fate. At 28mm there is some softness in the corners but it is not too bad. All in all I think that this camera gets a bad rap on the net because instead of adding tons of sharpening in the camera like olympus used to do they went conservative on this one.

For me the 1030sw gets a thumbs up!

KellysCayman
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Great to hear you are enjoying the camera! I plan to pick one up myself in a few weeks for my wife to take on our trip to Jamaica.

So much better than lugging my E3 to the beach. Plus we can swim and snorkel with it, I am just thrilled.

My guess why the image quality may not be up to snuff is due to creating a balance of being able to use the camera underwater and out of the water. I could be wrong but Olympus is not known for making bad glass!

Either way I think this will be a great travel camera for my family and a fun camera for my wife and 5 year old who is known to have butter fingers!

Thanks again.

Kelly

matthew
11-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I have the 770SW, and was almost disappointed when I found it after a long absence - I was nearly looking for an excuse to buy a 1030SW instead. They don't generate the most absolutely wonderful photos, but the ability to survive harsh conditions is far more important to me. I see P&S cameras every week that are garbage after being dropped on their extended lenses. I'm never buying any camera with that fundamentally flawed design.

(http://thewsreviews.blogspot.com/2008/06/olympus-770sw-and-friends.html)

wigpro
12-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I have the Oly Stylus 790 and could NOT live without it! I took it to Alaska with me this summer and had it on the boat with me everyday! I added a silicone cover to keep it from sliding around on the dashboard of the boat and a float / strap in case I dropped it overboard.

It performed marvelously all summer and took some great photos for a P&S. I just returned from a fishing trip to the Bahamas and had it with me while wading the flats and again, it takes great pictures.

The only negative is viewing through the LCD - I would much rather have a normal type viewfinder. It is very hard to see in bright light, although that is usually not an issue in Alaska since it rains everyday, it was a problem in the Bahamas.

There are some pictures posted on my website of the Bahamas trip and most of the "on water" shots were taken with the 790.

Enjoy,

Jim