PDA

View Full Version : Bodies / Media Panny G1 Meets expectations, BUT...

fotoyvel
11-20-2008, 09:23 AM
It arrived last nite in RED (the only color available when I ordered). It really looks swell, not geeky at all & makes a nice, not gaudy, change from the more usual black or or black and chrome.

The light weight is perfect, balance great, small size no problem & for my photography style NO issues with the EVF, which was my greatest worry. BUT:

SOMEONE should write a coherent IB! It is -- unlike some, literally translated from Japanese -- in coherent English (and I assume the French, Spanish and Portuguese IBs are also well translated) BUT they are still a jumble of page-flipping confusion.

For example, it SAYS there is a way to tone down the Beep (I'd prefer no beep at all) and a way to put on the battery saving features and ways to do all manner of customized adjustments; but for some reason, no clear way to reach any of those menus. I keep getting the menus for clock set, image size/quality etc. but not those.

MUCH more important is the digital zoom feature. Apparently there is a built-in digital zoom called EZ that doubles the reach of the kit lens and is alleged to have no effect on image quality. There also is a 4x digital zoom that DOES simply enlarge the central portion of the image. I want to disable BOTH of these. The book (so far) has not unlocked the secret for that. There appears to be a set of extensive symbols, accessed thru the rear screen, that might lead to on/off switches, but while the book shows that, it does not tell me how to get there!

Do you gents know?

Finally, and this is the best thing about the camera so far -- separate buttons for a lot of the stuff for want quick access to WB and ISO -- which are not as easy to access on the Pentax, or for tat matter my wife's Nikon.

AND the BEST button is the "Film Mode" button that allows several kinds of "film" Normal , Vivid, Nature Portrait Smooth etc, and THREE B&W modes -- normal, vivid (hi contrast) and "smooth" which looks rally creamy/dreamy. .I have yet to take some pix in the camera's B&W.

There is something I fell into yesterday nite called focus tracking that makes the VF jerk, but I think I shot that down for I'm back to smooth, easy transitions and no grain in the EVF and what looks like great clarity for this eyeglass wearer.

But the IB book is a bear! All I want for Christmas is to understand this camera by then!

Mike

bg2b
11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I confess to reading the book just to get an idea of what the camera could do, but when I want to actually do anything off the beaten track, I have to look through most of the menus to find the item. Well-organized it's not. Fortunately, the common stuff either has buttons or can be gotten via the quick menu. Also, once I do find and set some oddball parameter, I like the dynamic My Menu, since I don't have to go looking around again to set it back.

For basic things which I never change, like the beeping, digital zoom, etc., I just go carefully through the menu items one-by-one initially and set all of them. I do the same with any camera.

Godfrey
11-20-2008, 02:04 PM
For example, it SAYS there is a way to tone down the Beep (I'd prefer no beep at all) and a way to put on the battery saving features and ways to do all manner of customized adjustments; but for some reason, no clear way to reach any of those menus. I keep getting the menus for clock set, image size/quality etc. but not those.

Page 28: go to SetUp menu

Step down through the menu commands until you reach

Page 33: BEEP function ... set to Muted/Low/High

MUCH more important is the digital zoom feature. Apparently there is a built-in digital zoom called EZ that doubles the reach of the kit lens and is alleged to have no effect on image quality. There also is a 4x digital zoom that DOES simply enlarge the central portion of the image. I want to disable BOTH of these. The book (so far) has not unlocked the secret for that.

Go to the RECord menu (again page 28) and then step down to

Page 103: EX. OPT. ZOOM ... set to OFF/ON
Page 103: DIGITAL ZOOM ... set to OFF/2x/4x

I've gotten fairly used to the syntax of Panasonic manuals. (and Olympus manuals, and Pentax manuals, and ... !!!) I find it much easier to just have the manuals on-line as PDFs ... then I can use the search function to find things more quickly!

Godfrey

fotoyvel
11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks-- actually found some of this stuff on my own-- after 48 hours of fiddling (and with Godfrey's help) But the mnanual still stinks. I'll try getting it online and filing it inside my computer, tho, thanks for the tip

Tomorrow I get serious about taking opix to see if it works. Am especially interested in trying the three B&W "films."
Mike