PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Lowepro Fastpack 350

wigpro
12-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I noticed a thread on the Front Page News forum that introduced this bag, but not too many had the bag, so I figured that after a couple months of use, I would add a review.

Initially I purchased a Lowepro Rolling CompuTrekker Plus AW - Found this bag too large for what I needed. So I sold it after never using it on the forum and tried the Fastpack 350.

I have found this bag to be perfect for traveling and I have even used it on a couple day shoots, but it really is a little big for that.

The quick shoot function is nice, being able to open the side and pull out the main camera.

My normal long trip package includes:

1 - E-500 with the 50-200
1 - E-500 Spare body
1 - Oly 14-45
1 - Oly 40-150
1 - Oly 35 Macro
1 - Oly 790 Stylus PS with silicone cover and float.

This is all held in the camera section.

In the upper section I carry:

1 - Bower Flash
1 - Vivitar Ring Flash
1 - MP3 Player
1 - Oly 70-300 in a padded pouch (Sometimes)
1 - Mouse
1 - Laptop Power Cords
1 - USB 200 Gig Drive
1 - Spare Camera Battery
1 - 6 pack of double A's and a 4 pack of triple A's

The lower outside flaps contain:

4 - Spare compact Flash cards and 4 filters

Plus my Acer 14" Laptop

The upper outside flap holds my passport and travel documents

Pros:

1 - It handles all this gear and still fits in the overhead or under the airplane seat. Not only on the full size domestic planes, but even the Bahamas Air Dash 8 - Inter-Island plane.
2 - Flew through airline security - just had to remove the laptop, which is very easy since it opens from the side and doesn't require removing anything else.
3 - Easy to put on and off, plus by taking it off one shoulder it allows quick access to main camera, which stores with the Oly 50-200.
4 - Price - it is well built and easy to find in numerous internet outlets for under $100.00
5 - Perfect size cell phone pouch on the left should strap

Cons:

1. Loaded down, it is heavy...but that may be because I am lugging a bunch around! But for a long trip - I can carry virtually all my gear.
2. No tripod straps, but there is the ability to add various slip-lock accessories. I searched on the Lowepro site and found nothing that could attach and hold a tripod. I generally pack my small tripod in my main luggage.

I have made 3 long trips and have found it to be perfect for my needs. I have two smaller LowePros I use for most day type walk around trips and always pack one of these in my luggage to have when I am where I was going.

Enjoy,

Jim

jemfinch
12-06-2008, 07:13 PM
What's the advantage of having both the 50-200mm and the 40-150mm lenses on long trips?

Jeremy

PdO
12-06-2008, 08:44 PM
The quick shoot function is nice, being able to open the side and pull out the main camera.

I just bought the Lowepro Slingshot 300 for that very reason. I can ride around on my scooter and have the camera available for a quick shot in seconds.

wigpro
12-07-2008, 01:06 PM
What's the advantage of having both the 50-200mm and the 40-150mm lenses on long trips?

Jeremy

Because I can! :D

Actually I try to take everything with me when I am going on a long trip. That way, I have it if I need it. I just got the 50-200 and love the lens, but it is heavy and much bigger than the 40-150. If I am out day shooting, sometimes I will pack a small bag and may only carry the 2 kit lenses. They are light and compact and very easy to carry around. I rarely do NOT carry the 14-45. It is a great lens, light an easy. I am seriously considering the 12-60, so that may change everything at some point. I am also seriously considering the new 9-18.

A long trip for me is a full summer in Alaska, so you can see that it would be advantageous to have as much with me as possible!

Enjoy,

Jim