PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Cheap eBay wired shutter releases

olddigiman
01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I have bought and tested some of the Chinese wired shutter releases for the E-400/410/510/420/520. One of them also has a radio wireless function. They are also available with a different connector for the E-1/3. They all provide the 2-step release as the Oly release (half press for focus/exposure, full press to release shutter).

Here’s what they look like on the outside:
<O:p</O:p
<O:p>http://www.nolonemo.com/files/remotes/outsides.jpg</O:p>
Here’s what they look like on the inside:
<O:phttp://www.nolonemo.com/files/remotes/insides.jpg</O:p
Here’s what I think about them:
JJC (far left)
Seller treekoala, $16.99 shipped.
This is the better made of the two wired releases, though it is not up to the finish or inside quality of the Oly release, which has thinner and more flexible copper reeds (I used to have the Oly release for my E-20, but I couldn’t find a photo of it’s inside.) It has a sliding shutter lock like the Oly release, and is clearly patterned after it, though it is physically larger. One cool thing about the JJC is that it has a jack on the side for a 3/32” miniplug (red line in picture points to jack), the picture below shows the miniplug connections.
http://www.nolonemo.com/files/schematic.jpg
Jianisi (center)
Seller d-slr-a, $11.99 shipped.
This one works just as well as the JJC, but the construction is not as good (see the filing on the top reed and the misaligned reeds). It does work just as well as the JJC, though. The two things made me like this release less than the JJC: (a) a concave release button that required me to push my fingertip down into the hole to get a full release and (b) the button being at the end of the release where the wire comes in. The shutter lock on this works by sliding the panel surrounding the release button.

Wired/wireless release (far right)
Seller jinfinance, $28.95 shipped.
The receiver has a shoe plate on the bottom so you can put it out of the way on the camera’s hot shoe. Both the receiver and fob transmitter have on/off switches to conserve battery life. The wireless codes are set with a 4-dipswitch panel. The receiver also can be used as a manual trigger – but it must be turned on to work, so you’re SOL if the battery dies. The release is OK to use manually, but the connecting cord is on the short side (8" or so) for manual use. The receiver and fob use microswitches (red lines in photos) instead of reeds to close the circuits. Neither has a shutter lock. I could get about 60-70 feet of distance, line of sight, reliabily with the thing. I did trigger the camera from about 45 feet through the outside wall of a stuccoed wood frame house. The build and electronics of these are on a par with the cheap eBay flash triggers, so while I think they are fine for casual use, I would not use them on a mission-critical job.

So on balance, I think the JJC unless you want the distance the wireless solution provides. And please, no comments about how I could have picked up the Oly release for the same amount of dough I spent on all of this stuff! :D

Calais225
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the inside look. When I read your post I realized I did have one of these releases and, sure enough, dug it out of the box and it turns out to be the JJC model.

Have not used it yet but do use the Jianisi wireless remote without any problems. Guess I better put both of these into my Christmas gift Lowepro AW 200 instead of back in the drawer.

No wonder my friends nickname me " Inspector Gadget"

Cheers,

Bill

Hokuto
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the review, very helpful. One correction, I think, however. When you said, "Wired/wireless release (far left)" I think you meant "(far right)."

This morning I spent a brief forty minutes or so wandering through the small radio and electronics shops at Akihabara looking for a connector for the Oly shutter release, but nobody I hit on had ever seen that type before. If I'd had more time I might have finally stumbled upon a shop that works with that sort of connector, but I had to leave for another appointment. Most places I stopped suggested that I just cut the Oly cable and add another cable in the middle to extend the length, but that would defeat my purpose. I don't want to haul around the entire length of cable with me all the time, so I really would like to have a connector'd cable I could attach only at those times I want the longer extension. But I like the idea of the radio shutter release you review here, so I think I'll check out what the Chinese sellers are offering on Yahoo Auction here in Japan.

lkeeney
01-14-2009, 12:00 AM
How well do the connectors on these fit into the connector on the E1/E3? I have heard of problems on some of the inexpensive units.

Lawrence

Bill_Turner
01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I recently picked up the JJC release for my L1s. I'm verey pleased with it in all respects.

olddigiman
01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Hokuto, thanks for the correx, edit made.

As far as extensions, I took one of the wired remotes and cut the cable about 6" from the connector end, and then wired each end into a 1/8" stereo mini plug or jack, making sure I matched up the wiring correctly. That way, if I want an extension, I can insert any 1/8" stereo plug extension cord (I've used up to a 25' extension) or just plug the wired-in jack and plug into each other for normal use on the camera. But the wireles is sort of cool....

olddigiman
02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
updated with pinout for JJC micoplug jack.

wisertime
03-04-2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.linkdelight.com/eBayPhoto/linkdelight_NA/studioLighting/T8M_NA.jpg

I concur. I got 2 recievers and one transmitter and so far so good. They work like a charm and I am a complete noob to strobist stuff. Used with the E1 so far. I got the Blazzeo's $29 shipped! What a deal. Even came with batteries and stands.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230323923287

darkesha
11-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I got one today, it says YONGNUO digital RS-802 on it.
Since I was ordering 2 reflectors and all was shipping free I added this as a little extra which I will need in order to take a picture of baby that is due in 5 weeks.

It was around $8 if I remember correctly.

I plugged it in, pressed the button and nothing happens. I had no time to go through manual of my E-520 in order to find out if there is a setting to switch in order to allow shutter actuation, but if someone can spare 20 sec. to get me on a right track I would be more then great full.

Thanks guys.