PDA

View Full Version : Accessories Rotating Metal Flash Bracket

thebinaryman
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I picked this up on eBay for just over $20 and thought I'd give it a try. Take a close look at the picture. This bracket attaches to the tripod mount of your camera (or lens with tripod mount collar), and allows your flash to rotate AROUND your lens. This is so that when you shoot in portrait orientation your flash can be centered above your lens just as if it were in landscape orientation.

The top part of the bracket that grips your flash is removable, so I could directly attach my hot shoe cable via the screw mount similar to a tripod. I could then slide on my FL-50 with no trouble. I proceeded to mount my E-510 on the camera mounting part. I found that there was little room for my fingers to operate my E-510 and 12-60mm, but behold, it's adjustable. I could now warp my fingers around the grip of the E-510. What still remains a problem is that the 12-60 is too fat in diameter for this bracket, there's little room for my fingers to use the zoom, and I find it uncomfortable. I also tried this with further adjustments using my 50-200mm SWD. It also was unusable due to the weight of the lens giving an awkward balance.

What really shines though is when I attached my 35mm macro. I re-adjusted the bracket, and there's plenty of room to operate the camera. The 35mm is small enough that it handles nicely, and there's no zoom to need to adjust. I can easily flip the flash back and forth from the horizontal to vertical orientation. The combination is well balanced, and very easy to use.

I assume this would work as well with the 50mm macro prime as it did with the 35mm. I would not recommend this for zoom lenses though. I have another type of rotating flash bracket on the way that I will review later.

Therefore...
I like this bracket.
It is great for auto-focus primes, and perhaps small zooms, but watch out if your zoom lens is large.

photo_owl
02-12-2009, 03:47 AM
I can't help feeling this is a huge overcomplication that brings more issues (as you have brought out in your text) than it solves.

Whilst the $20 is 'cheap' you will need a $60 lead to connect the flash to the hot shoe.

If you really want to go to all this trouble then the simple hinged bracket will do all this without any of the problems assiated with taking the flash forwards over the lens.

On the other hand you can just swivel the flash head and use your reflector on the short side - which most who work then normal combination of bounce/fill will do in the field.

Nicely written up though

thebinaryman
02-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the comments.

The problem that this solves seemed important enough for me. I was once taking pictures in a dark reception hall, my horizontal pictures were nicely lit with the FL-50 pointed nearly up, with omni-bounce attached. My vertical shots were plagued with ugly shadows. I constantly needed to be adjusting the flash head when flipping the camera, plus as i mentioned even after adjustment I could not get the flash in as good of a position as it was when the camera was horizontal.

This bracket does solve this issue, perfectly, but I think it will be only enjoyed when used with primes to avoid pinched fingers when zooming. I next bracket I will test keeps the flash stationary, and adds a left hand grip. However, it has a rotation portion to hold the camera body. I think this will prove more functional. I already had the flash cable around, so testing different brackets at $20 a pop is worth it.

photo_owl
02-12-2009, 08:26 AM
difficult to beat the simple hinged L flash bracket for this and, if using a prime and flash as you indicate, I wouldn't bother with a bracket at all. you don't need the constiency of angle it brings so just hand hold the flash and use a grip strap for camera comfort.

thebinaryman
02-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Do you have an example/link of such a bracket? The only ones I've seen alter the angle/position of the flash when you rotate. I'd like the consistency of having the flash in the same angle/location. Here are some horrible pictures of the combination. This is the kind of action I'd like out of a bracket, now just to find one that fits my bigger lenses.

http://www.markptak.com/imghost/flashgrip1.jpg

http://www.markptak.com/imghost/flashgrip2.jpg

photo_owl
02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
one of those classic - just gave them both away - moments!

they were fine with the E510 but just didn't suit the E3 so I gave them away about a month ago.

real simple - think simple undercamera bar/plate, hinge with butterfly lock bolt that goes to the right and same bar/plate again that goes up the right hand side of the camera in landscape use. On the 'top' you have a flash mount (at 90 degrees to the bar) that ends up about 2" above the top of the camera on the right hand side.

Switch to portrait and you just loosen the bolt, put 'straight' and lock. Flash is now in the same relative position at the same relative angle etc.

Slightly more 'professional' models have an extra fixed angle piece that locates the flash in the middle of the camera in both positions