PDA

View Full Version : Post processing challenge

lkeeney
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a post processing challenge.

I thought it would be interesting to have someone post a "good" image, and then see who can best make that image pop.

I know I am just a Photoshop nut, and thought there may be more out there that enjoy post processing. I am always up to learning something new.

If anyone is interested, post an image and let's see what happens.

Lawrence

photo_owl
08-13-2009, 02:58 PM
the problem here Lawrence is that generally images are either in need of a specific 'solution' or it's a free for all in terms of interpretation!

I'm all for both I think it's better to post an image file and a request for focused solutions than a general thread like this.

lkeeney
08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
the problem here Lawrence is that generally images are either in need of a specific 'solution' or it's a free for all in terms of interpretation!

I'm all for both I think it's better to post an image file and a request for focused solutions than a general thread like this.

I like your suggestion as it puts everyone working towards a common goal. However, I often like to see how others see an image.

Maybe the post processed image could define whether the modified image meets the goals of the challenge, or whether it was an interpretation of the original.

I wouldn't intend on this being a formal contest, but more just for fun.

Lawrence

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-13-2009, 08:24 PM
When I first joined this forum there was several PP challenge posts. A shot that left something to be desired, but had possibilities, was posted as a RAW file and everyone that wanted, took a stab using their vision. I thought this was a great idea then & I still do.
Back then, I new nothing about RAW development. Now I at least have hack abilities :)

Ravenwing
08-14-2009, 01:39 AM
I think its a great idea too, whether to get different interpretations, or to try to rescue a shot. Its always interesting to see different approaches. I'm very limited when it comes to uploading or downloading large files here on my slow dialup, though.

photo_owl
08-14-2009, 04:34 AM
well I have found what I think is a suitable raw file (from last week), which in many ways has the classic 'problems' but is fundamentally sound.

happy to post it for download but don't know where/how!

advise?

bg2b
08-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Simplest is to just make a zip archive containing the RAW file and then use the normal 43photo attachment mechanism to upload it here. Alternatively, I can host a file if you can send it to me somehow (email maybe?)

Bojan Volcansek
08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
It is absolutely great idea, and it would be great if somebody - let say Lawrence if he can, organize it regularly, let say once a week.

I would make it just slightly formalized in a sense that we should have original photo available as a raw - Lawrence's pick, one of his photos for example, or some other forum member could send him a photo to use as a challenge,
but the responses that have modified a shot should have at least minimal description, what was done, with what tools, and how.

What do you think?
Lawrence, would you be able to take the responsibility to organize it regularly?
I would gladly help you with formalizing response format as well as other technical stuff like where to host images etc.
What others think? Would you like something like that?

Sincerely yours
Bojan

ThePhilosopher
08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm interested. :cool::)

lkeeney
08-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Bojan,

I really like your idea, and would like to set up something like this. I am very busy, and I think weekly would be kind of rough for me. I know when I was doing the Photoshop Tip of the Week, it was difficult. I not only have my photography, but I have an engineering consulting business that keeps me pretty busy.

I have been thinking about a way to get started on this project, and have come up with a few ideas ideas for a format.

If there is anyone else with more time on their hands than I have, and would like to run this I would be happy to assist. Otherwise, I will give it a try.

Lawrence

ThePhilosopher
08-15-2009, 06:51 AM
I think bi-weekly gives a chance for people to take their time and run through several versions of an edit before getting it just right for submission, and is less stressful for the people running the event. Maybe winner selects the topic or image for using in the challenge?

Bojan Volcansek
08-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Dear Lawrence,
I completely understand being busy :) No difference with me :)
So we definitely need another volunteer.
I like Philosopher's idea about being it bi-weekly. It will need time for people to try their ideas in Raw Postprocessing.
Perhaps even once a month challenge?

Let's work on this ideas and see where it leads.

Yours Bojan

jkrumm
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Love the idea and look forward to participating. Making it a challenge with a winner might add work to the organizers, as opposed to a share/C&C thing with the main work being for participants. We all have tons of raws hanging around, no doubt, and it wouldn't be too hard to think up a focus (make this face look better, B & W conversion etc.).

Nepherim
08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I think it's a great idea -- if we can get one more volunteer, and if Lawrence is okay with it, I'll volunteer to start things rolling. Let people loose, and see what Frankenstein creations are produced! Keep it open: severe crops, cutting and pasting, wipeouts all legit! I think monthly (or every three weeks) might work -- need to give people time to do their thing!

Bojan Volcansek
08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I think it's a great idea -- if we can get one more volunteer, and if Lawrence is okay with it, I'll volunteer to start things rolling. Let people loose, and see what Frankenstein creations are produced! Keep it open: severe crops, cutting and pasting, wipeouts all legit! I think monthly (or every three weeks) might work -- need to give people time to do their thing!

If you volunteer, and if Lawrence doesn't mind, I would say go with it. It is better to start something and we will see how to improve it over the time!

Sincerely yours
Bojan

Nepherim
08-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Some random-ish ideas.

Images

Each week should have more than one picture. People can choose the image which inspires them.
Will people be okay with 'donating' an image to be processed? Personally I would, but not sure if others would be okay, and it would be nice to have a wider 'pool' of images to use.

Themes
Perhaps each week could have a theme:

make a good image better
make a bad image better
from dark to light
from over-exposed to normal
crop-it
extreme processing
in the style of: famous photographers or artists; artistic styles; particular looks/feels

Theme Rules
Also, whilst we have a consistent set of core rules (tbd), perhaps we could include/exclude some rules based on the image. So some weeks we might:

disallow cropping
disallow cut/paste (or similar actions)
force the use of a particular technique (need help with techniques)
disallow a particular technique

Core Rules
Interested in opinions for the core set of rules. Having suggested it, I'm not actually sure I can think of any :) Maybe:

Only one entry per person
If you change your mind about your entry, either make a new post or edit your original post.
Re-scale to a size of around 800 pixels on the longest side

Judging
In terms of judging, I like the idea of the recent informal competition (http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=49061) -- keep it simple.

1-2 people on subjective terms (probably a little more controversial, but not significantly).
or, larger 'panel' more strict judging guidelines (personally I don't prefer this -- more effort, less fun).

Prizes
Suggestions for a prize? Perhaps:

the winner gets to 'donate' the next image, or set the theme?
Or, how about we setup a 'buy-coffee' paypal account -- if viewers like the attempts they can donate whatever ($1, 50c, etc). The winner gets whatever is in there. Might be a little tricky to setup and keep transparent; I'm sure there's something along those lines out there.
maybe just keep it at kudos?

lkeeney
08-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Dave,

I like your thoughts on the challenge.

Your point about donating an image is a very important point to the post processing challenge. I personally have no problem in donating images for others to work on, but I understand that some people would not care to do this. Maybe a vote is in order here to find out if setting this challenge up is even feasible.

The next thing is setting up a place to host the large RAW images. I am not aware of any place where we could do this, although I am sure there is a place. Does anyone know of a site to host the images?

Lawrence

Nepherim
08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
If we can't find a donor, then we could use:

one of the myriad free hosts (MediaFire for example)
DropBox -- I have one, it works great
worst case I could host it (we could start off on this path if all else fails)

lkeeney
08-19-2009, 11:35 PM
I looked into setting up an account on Mediafire, but then I reread the posts and saw where David (bg2g) suggested zipping the RAW image and using the attachment mechanism to upload it here.

Once it has been uploaded here as an attachment, can we somehow individually download it? If so this seems to be the simplest method of sharing a RAW file.

Any Comments?

Lawrence

bg2b
08-20-2009, 04:27 AM
Let's give it a try. Attached is a zip file (with a JPEG image).

Edit: downloads OK for me

Nepherim
08-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Works for me. As long as we have enough personal space on the forum we should be good.

jkrumm
08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Let's give it a try. Attached is a zip file (with a JPEG image).

Edit: downloads OK for me

Do you have a raw version? Seems like it would allow more flexibility.

les
08-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Herewith my attempt.

Nepherim
08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Do you have a raw version? Seems like it would allow more flexibility.I think the point of the post was to simply verify that we could store the RAW file in a zip and attach to the competition post. So for this case, what's in the ZIP isn't too important. For the competition we'd use a RAW.

lkeeney
08-20-2009, 04:43 PM
My try at Elvis.

I just realized we need to add some posting rules to make sure all images are posted at the same size, file type, color profile, etc.

Lawrence

bg2b
08-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you have a raw version? Seems like it would allow more flexibility.
Elvis was just to test that the zip facility worked for distributing RAWs.

jkrumm
08-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks, I noticed later the tiny size. Okay, who is going to go first?

lkeeney
08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I keep thinking about someone running the Post Processing Challenge. Besides being a little short of time, I don't know how to take the list Dave made and turn it into a set of operating rules for the challenge, particularly where to post them so they are at the top of the thread rather than being lost in the thread. I also don't know how to set up a means where people can vote.

Another question I have is, does this just become one very long thread, or is a new thread started for every challenge? I am not quite sure of the format.

If there is someone here who has experience with this and would not mind helping, I would like to donate what time I have, as I think this could be a fun thread.

Lawrence

srf4real
08-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Before I even owned a camera I used to enjoy playing with other people's photographs and seeing if I could make them look better 'to me' in photoshop. I like the idea, Lawrence.:)

Nepherim
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Lawrence: How about I start this off? I'll PM you a set of rules so we can agree on how to move forward, and then I'll start a new thread. I propose a new thread for each 'competition'.

Anyone have an image(s) they'd want to 'sacrifice'? If so, PM me, and I'll start a collection.

lkeeney
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Lawrence: How about I start this off? I'll PM you a set of rules so we can agree on how to move forward, and then I'll start a new thread. I propose a new thread for each 'competition'.

Anyone have an image(s) they'd want to 'sacrifice'? If so, PM me, and I'll start a collection.

By all means Dave. I honestly don't know how to get something like this started, but I am willing to help where I can. Let's do it!

Lawrence

aprillove20
11-04-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree that it's so interesting to see different approaches.

srf4real
11-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow thread back from the dead.. about time we did something with this right? I'll throw one to the wolves here, and considering that a large portion of folks are being introduced to 2010 Winter hopefully you will enjoy this 82 degree water shot from last month.

Please limit submissions to 1000 pixels width and height, in any aspect ratio. Other than that, I personally despise rules, they were meant to be broken. Go for it~:)

Don Kondra
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay Rob :)

Used Studio to convert the raw and resize the jpeg. +2 sharpen on the raw, +1 on the jpeg.

Lighten shadows and darken highlights in Elements 7. Some contrast/brightness and +1 sharpen in FastStone.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/donkondra/donkondra%20tests/Robschallenge.jpg

I felt the sky and the busy water at the bottom of the image did not contribute much so I cropped'em :)

Cheers, Don

PS> boo to the weather, it's just above freezing here with a forcast for snow tomorrow, sigh :)

doofclenas
11-08-2010, 08:01 PM
My stab...ACR plus photoshop...

rkrenn
11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Some basic raw stuff, straightened, croped to remove top, bottom and right, giving the surfer room to move forward. Added some Tonal Contrast and color grad from color efex pro. Lightened up the surfer.
Richard

http://www.richardkrenn.com/images_forums/srf4real_2099698.jpg

s4ean
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I was immediately drawn to the water in the image, and really focused on it and the outline of the surfer himself... when I found I wasn't really able to fall in love with the colors I got rid of them, lol (although I enjoyed the color filters used in the post prior to my own). I do hope black & white processing was an option here?

http://allurexpressions.com/retouching/_2099698final.jpg

Distortion corrections and shading adjustments in Olympus Viewer, followed by cropping, contrast adjustments, and a tragedy of events later...

Rich33584
11-09-2010, 04:38 AM
It reminded me of the 70's, so I went there....
http://www.helmetsstuff.com/forums/thumbs/sml_surfer.jpg (http://www.helmetsstuff.com/forums/images/surfer.jpg)

Leonard
11-09-2010, 05:09 AM
I used a tighter crop, hue, tone and color saturation,

rootie
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I went crazy using many [most] of the sliders in LR...exposure, contrast, luminance shift and on and on....trying to achieve a feeling of menace.

srf4real
11-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Well I can attest to the fact that it really is wonderfully fun to see what potential others find in a run-of-the-mill shot of my own. I like all versions so far and am inspired by some daring renditions.. don't know how long we should linger for stragglers but personally I'm looking forward to another raw sample when everyone's ready!:)

doofclenas
11-13-2010, 08:03 PM
So...name the winner then...:D

srf4real
11-14-2010, 03:46 PM
So...name the winner then...:D

Lol, I was thinking "challenge" as in a raw file that might need some work to get anything useful out of it, just too plain to display 'as is'. I will keep my favorite choice to myself from the above selection, and there is not any prize to win anyways!:p

Of course anyone is welcome to put up their own "challenging" raw sample at any time, it's probably best if we try to stick to one image at a time and when it's obvious there are no more submissions for a day or two we'll move on to a different sample again. That ok with everybody?:)

gengh
11-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the challenge, I'm jumping in late in this thread.

I needed a break on work, and saw this thread. I'm curious to see how this image looks on a calibrated monitor, my 2 screens on work gives me two different versions.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/gengh/fourthirdsforum-surfer.jpg

rkrenn
11-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Here is one RedRockCanyon (http://www.richardkrenn.com/images_forums/_A035211.zip) This is from Red Rock Canyon on the way into Bryce. It was taken at Sunset so we have Red\Orange Sunset light on Red Rocks With Grey Clouds.
I'm interested to see how you interpred the red, sharpening and any crops you can come up with.

Richard

P.S. This is the jpg straight out of camera.
http://www.richardkrenn.com/images_forums/_A035211_600.JPG

s4ean
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I thought I'd try leaving it in color this time...

http://allurexpressions.com/retouching/A035211.jpg