PDA

View Full Version : Other Techniques Shooting a Track Day this Weekend...

Stetr24
11-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Been shooting cars for a few years now, but most of them have been stationary at shows or in portrait settings, but I have never shot an entire race at a real track. The race is being held at PIR in Portland, which in the three years I have lived here, have never been there.

I will be going with an employee of Sunset Imports, who has raced at this track many times and we will be showing up in a brand new A5 S-Line :D. He has informed me that I will have full access to the track and pits, but like I said, never been there so I will need to scope out some good spots.

For gear, I will be bringing my E-510 w/grip, 50 f1.8, 14-54, and 70-300. It is going to be overcast most of the day, but in the PNW, that could change within an hour.

My questions for you guys are...

1. Would it be advisable to bring my mono pod or tripod for the 70-300?

2. Would a flash be a good idea to bring to help with the dark weather?

3. I will be switching lenses often, so would a vest or "fanny pack" be a good idea?

There are prob other little things I may be missing, so could any of you that shoot track days or races chime in with some tips?

flipGTO
11-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I am far from a professional, but when I shot the DriftAtlanta event this year, I wished I had a monopod to get better pan shots. Your 70-300 should be more than sufficient to shoot the race you are attending. And your flash and 14-54 will come in handy when you're down in the pits or wherever else your press pass will take you.

DoubleDAZ
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM
3. I will be switching lenses often, so would a vest or "fanny pack" be a good idea?

I've actually been favoring cargo pants these days instead of a vest or fanny pack. While the pockets on cargo pants may not cover the 70-300, it sits in mine quite comfortably (hood up) and is easy to pull out. I used to hate cargo pants/shorts (because of my skinny legs), but now I find them indispensible. And, for smaller lenses you can even line them with foam for added protection.

Stetr24
11-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I've actually been favoring cargo pants these days instead of a vest or fanny pack.

Not a bad idea, but like you, I have skinny legs and objects in the pockets tend to sway freely. I will be there most of the day and will be doing A LOT of walking, so I don't want them to be swinging around and hitting me in the thigh or other people/objects.

Any other tips you guys? I know some of you shoot these kinds of events and would really appreciate the input.

I am going to spend most of today practicing panning cars on the highway. That should give me a good base at what my settings on camera should be.

flipGTO
11-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I suggest a hip sack or a camera messenger bag. I've been using a Crumpler 5 million dollar home as my light kit bag and its very easy to change the lens and access the flash on the go.