PDA

View Full Version : Chit Chat What's goin' on here?

glenbarrington
11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
People I respect are starting to bicker on this site like people on that other site.

No one enjoys a clever and witty feud more than me. But the examples we've got going on here are neither clever or witty, just cranky and ill tempered.

If you feel you HAVE to bicker with someone, at least TRY to make the exchange fun for others to read. You have nothing to lose by looking more clever than the other guy.

OzRay
11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I made a comment on a post, which the originator misinterpreted. I attempted to correct that misinterpretation, but receivced an earful for my efforts. I don't intend to carry on with the conversation, nor do I intend to engage the said person in any future conversation. So the situation has resolved itself and everyone is chirpy again.

Cheers

Ray

Riley
11-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I think an unexpected lack of 4/3rds product, specifically an E3 replacement lit a fire under some people.

Sliding into low gear is not the most positive outcome for the impressions people have of this formats progress and subsequent discussions highlight a number of areas that could use some material wealth in the hardware range.

Its a fixable problem, so I think that some people are a little peeved off but hanging in there to see what, if anything, happens next.

The whole question then is, what happens if nothing happens....

Godfrey
11-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I made a comment on a post which Ray decided to correct as a magnanimous gift of his superior experience and knowledge.

I'm all chirpy about how wonderful he is.

James Pilcher
11-17-2009, 09:52 PM
The forum is indeed sliding downward. As individuals, we can choose not to engage in unsociable behavior, but we can't stop it in others. Too many people enjoy being abusive while hiding behind the relative anonymity of the Internet. They are emboldened by the lack of consequences for their rudeness. That fact alone will cause the downward slide to continue.

To your point, I mention here that I expressed a couple of unpopular opinions recently:

Olympus has abandonded HG and SHG 4/3 lens development
I'm "damn" glad I don't have video in my DSLR
As a result I am subjected to pointed personal attacks from well-known forum members. When I posted those opinions, I didn't mention any individual or respond to any particular post. Yet certain persons felt it necessary to put me in my place with explicit and implied insults.

It's an irresistible force. :dontknow:

People I respect are starting to bicker on this site like people on that other site.

No one enjoys a clever and witty feud more than me. But the examples we've got going on here are neither clever or witty, just cranky and ill tempered.

If you feel you HAVE to bicker with someone, at least TRY to make the exchange fun for others to read. You have nothing to lose by looking more clever than the other guy.

Riley
11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
yes people need to realise that its a two way street.

It isnt pleasant or a good look the be called (for example) a 'naysayer' or some such as though you have just committed some criminal act.

This is one of the few emporiums where one can make an attempt to have their unhappiness observed by Olympus, who are in a position to alter course, and these things have happened before. That desire to make Olympus 'all it can be', is not the same as trolling for the sake of it.

as you where...

kevins686
11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I made a comment on a post which Ray decided to correct as a magnanimous gift of his superior experience and knowledge.

I'm all chirpy about how wonderful he is.

This is going to be like a bar fight that doesn't stay confined to the bar, but instead spills out onto the street, isn't it?

Believe me, I understand the desire to get in the last word. But sometimes it's better to take the high road and bite our tongues. The forum will be the better for it. :D

Alan Baxter
11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I think it's worse than that. I think the posting of high quality images is dropping off, while the abuse/negative comments, both by PM and in the fora is on the increase. I haven't being posting much because of personal-critical comments unrelated to the images I posted.

Regards,

Alan

marcot64
11-18-2009, 12:36 AM
I think an unexpected lack of 4/3rds product, specifically an E3 replacement lit a fire under some people.

Sliding into low gear is not the most positive outcome for the impressions people have of this formats progress and subsequent discussions highlight a number of areas that could use some material wealth in the hardware range.

Its a fixable problem, so I think that some people are a little peeved off but hanging in there to see what, if anything, happens next.

The whole question then is, what happens if nothing happens....

I'm feeling the stress from all the micro 4/3's market, I feel like I'm being left out in the cold. :dontknow:

Johnmcl7
11-18-2009, 05:16 AM
As a result I am subjected to pointed personal attacks from well-known forum members. When I posted those opinions, I didn't mention any individual or respond to any particular post. Yet certain persons felt it necessary to put me in my place with explicit and implied insults.

It's an irresistible force. :dontknow:

Except it wasn't like that, you're neither as innocent as you claim nor were you insulted - if you count those as insults, you were the one that started with your references about people who used video on SLRs (it wasn't positive). In response you then chose to go the wounded martyr rather than respond at any technical level - if you're going to insult other people and make comments you can't or won't backup then don't be surprised or complain when you don't get positive responses back.

John

olddigiman
11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
I hope that some of the "decline" in the quality of posting is an inevitable result of an increase in readership as the 4/3 system gets wider penetration in the market. I remember a similar sea change at DPR when the E-1 came out. Before that, it had been a pretty clubby bunch of E-20 and E-30 users, the quality of posts and overall tone went down with an influx of new users.

As to some people posting with a snippy tone (and I have been guilty, though I hope I do apologize promptly when I'm called on it), I recognize that we all have our personalities, and some of us are known to be more prickly/abrasive than others. I am particularly willing to give more latitude to some of the old-timers whose post counts reflect the invaluable contribution they have made to the forum (not that that should be a license to be rude).

But for sure, if two posters want to get into it, that discussion should happen back channel and not in public posts. And of course, the golden rule of email applies too -- if you want to reply in anger, write the response, delete it, and come back in a couple of hours to see how you feel.

Bill Gordon
11-18-2009, 08:11 AM
in response to your posting I think that you meant E10/20 as the E30 came out just recently.

I agree with what you say, that the quality of discussion isn't the same as it once was.

laingjd
11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
This type thread is very risky as it can quickly degrade into behavior that accuses individuals of negativity. It, in fact, already has.

Argumentative behavior is definitely not allowed here.

Closed.