PDA

View Full Version : Digital darkroom updated Lightroom v2.6/Camera Raw v5.6 fixes PowerPC bugs



Godfrey
11-18-2009, 06:57 PM
A release candidate for Lightroom v2.6 and Camera Raw/DNG Converter v5.6 is now available:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2009/11/camera_raw_56_and_lightroom_26.html

The highlight artifact problem which surfaced on PowerPC systems at the last release has been taken care of. I've tested the same files I found it with on three systems (two PowerPC and one Intel): all artifacts are gone, images now render identically.

original thread:
http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=50943

Tony Finnerty
11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info, Godfrey. Do you think it is worth upgrading to the release candidate now, or better to wait for the final v2.6?

primelenses
11-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll stick to my PowerPC setup for a while longer now.

Godfrey
11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
i've been testing the v2.6RC since yesterday. I'd say, if you don't need it for new camera support yet, wait for the final release to come out. It's a bit laggy, less responsive than v2.4 .. might have a lot of debug code in it just yet. Otherwise, it's proving stable and usable.

mckennma
11-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Release candidates can have other issues that don't come up. They are for users to find bugs. Some work fine. Others have more serious problems.

Godfrey
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Release candidates can have other issues that don't come up. They are for users to find bugs. Some work fine. Others have more serious problems.

Exactly.

I've posted the performance issues I found in 2.6RC to Adobe. Other than that, it seems very stable.

Godfrey
11-23-2009, 10:07 AM
In addition to the fact that all the image artifacts which appeared on Apple PowerPC systems in v2.5 are gone in v2.6 RC, I discovered something else:

LR v2.6 RC now recognizes the LensType or LensID tag from FourThirds and micro-FourThirds lenses used on the G1/GH1/GF1 bodies. This allows the Metadata::Lens category on the filter bar to be populated with the names of the lenses instead of just "Unknown lens".

This fixes a long standing omission with respect to the Panasonic bodies.

(A little more investigation showed that LR 2.6RC now reads this same data from the Panasonic L1 body's JPEG files too. The L1 body does not encode the LensType or LensID data into its .RAW files, unfortunately.)

After suitable testing, I was confident that I could Save metadata to file... for all G1 master files, then Read metadata from file... on the same set and thus populate Lightroom 2.6RC's Lens metadata. It ran overnight (many many files...!) and succeeded.

The same lenses used on the Olympus E-1 are represented by a different name when used on the Panasonic G1:


http://homepage.mac.com/godders/g1-vs-e1-lensdata.jpg

So it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than before. I can easily see what's the same and what's different with these names. I do have to continue keywording for my adapted manual lenses, however.