Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Default Quantum DTTL Adaptor

The Quantum DTTL Adaptor:
    This article is located here:
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/index.php...id=13&Itemid=2

This is exciting news for 2 reasons, and perhaps more.
    #1 More companies are supporting the 4/3 system
    #2 I like Quantum stuff.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re:Quantum DTTL Adaptor

I\'ve seen Quantum ads and I\'ve heard that they make good products but I\'m not familiar with them. There are probably a lot of folks in the same boat. Perhaps a companion article could be written to explain what their remote flash products do, how they attach, how they sync, what E-1 and E-300 functions work and don\'t work, etc. Just throwing around model names is confusing.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

tspore Guest

No problem, let me try to explain. Let me explain what I know about the T4D flash head. The T5D as far as I know will be a similar flash but it will have additional features such as there free X-wire. (Which is a raido TTL adaptor so that the flash could be somewhere else than the camera.) For example in sports there are often flash heads up in the rafters to provide flash light. It is like a pocket wizard only more advanced.
    http://qtm.com/flash/qft4d.php
    The T4d flash does not have battereies within the flash head instead they are located within a seperate battery pack. This battery pack either attaches to the bottom of the camera, or to a belt.
    The flash head recycle faster than a FL-50, and are more powerful. You can also put more adaptors on the Flash heads that are usefull, such as a Softbox.
    These are not cheap. A Turbo battery, T4D, and Oly Adaptor will cost a total of around $1000. But in my opinion they are worth it.
    Also Quantum is a great company with wonderful customer service.
    I guess you could say its like having a studio light on your camera.
    The watt output of a T4D is around 150 Watts, where as I think that the FL-50 is about 115 - 120 watts.
    The CRV-3 on my Fl-50 last for about 250 shots, Rechargables I figure 100 shots, till they slow down. But the Turbo battery list all day. I usually over heat a FL-50 during a wedding, and put on the spare, but the Turbo battery pack keeps going.
    I am excited about getting my hands on one of these flashes from Quantum. They will make a great companion to the E-1.
    Hope that helps. There is an adaptor for the Turbo battery and the Fl-50 that can be bought in some locations, and that is around $120. It is a good peice of hardware. Olympus also makes a battery pack, but I did not buy that one. I think that the Quantum one has more versitility, Such as now they are coming out with the T4D flash heads.
    Hope that helps.
    Tony

Post edited by: tspore, at: 2005/09/04 12:04

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks Tony.

You mentioned sports photography as a sample use for a remote flash. The E-1 syncs at 1/180th second. Is that quick enough for fast action? Or does the Quantum system support Olympus\' FP-TTL mode for higher shutter speeds?
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

At 180 a second it will stop the motion. For example, I have shot with a flash plenty of times at 1/30 but nothing is blurry. So that would help.
    I don\'t know what the top sync speed will be with the camera\'s flash.
    We will have to see. I dropped them a note trying to get my hands on a Flash to review it. We will see.
    T