Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which RAW converter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Which RAW converter

So we have had a play with everything out there so what is the general consensus. I shoot most of my jobs on SHQ for a speedy workflow so have not really spent too much time with the E1 and RAW conversion. With the Canon 1D I found Capture one to be really good after I got some profiles for it. I currently use RSE, tried Silkypix but didn\'t output anything so I am looking to you RAW shooters for guidance. How’s ARC on CS2? I could never get sharp output on CS\'s RAW converter.David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re:Which RAW converter

When I was doing portrait work in the UK, I used nothing but RSE. It was brill, batch processing, good colours, and an easy way to sort out the duff stuff while your going.

I just got my CS2 upgrade, and haven\'t had time to compaire the two, many people have said CS2 is now very good, so I think its worth having a look.

But I\'m still happy with RSE, and will probably continue to use it.

As to capture1 - its gone very quiet...I tried it but never liked it, and silkypix I haven\'t even installed.

Didn\'t tony do a write up on the new raw engine in CS2 with a compairsion with the old one - Perhaps it got deleted on the website upgrade?

Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Greetings,

I don\'t have Photoshop (PS) CS2 yet but my understanding is that its latest Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) \"developer\" doesn\'t handle raw conversion any differently than PS CS does (they just added a more features like batch processing).

I always shoot raw+jpg and I\'ve \"developed\" more raw files than I can count (thousands). I photoshop all of my photos at some point so I would prefer an all-Photoshop solution. However, each camera manufacturer keeps its raw interpretation algorithms secret and Adobe will never be able to match them. I always get better image fidelity from my E-1 when I use Olympus software to develop the raw files.

For the most efficient workflow when batch processing isn\'t possible (because each image requires individual attention) I use the Olympus raw 2.0 plug-in for Photoshop. It doesn\'t have many of the feature of Olympus Studio but it is just as good at what it does.

For batch processing a lot of similar photos, I use Olympus Studio and develop to a 16-bit/channel tif so that I don\'t lose any dynamic range on the way to Photoshop.

I\'ve also have the latest version of Raw Shooter and I\'ve sampled other raw developers. I\'ve come to the conclusion that...

[ul][li]For highest image fidelity with your Olympus camera, use Olympus software to develop raw files.[/li]
    [li]For greatest creativity with your raw files, use ACR.[/li][/ul]

I hope this helps.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Well, I did not like PSCS, the files were not as sharp as I liked. I know that many use the program. I just never was happy with it.
    But with PSCS2 I am much more happy with it. The auto features are nice.
    I think that they did improve the sharpening abilities of the processor. Also it seems to put out a higher dynamic range.
    I use Studio a lot. it is a good program, but for weddings, it takes for ever. The picture of my wife is developed in ACR.
    ACR has many advantages. I don\'t have to switch between Studio, and PS, the file browser is good. etc.
    I would recommend those 2 programs. I had a couple e-mails asking for some instructions on Studio, so I will work on that too this month.
    I am a mac user so I have no idea about RSE. I really was turned off by Silkypix because they were a Japanese only company for a while. (I don\'t know if they have a english version yet for mac, all my newsletters from them are in japanese) I have sent them a note, to get it fixed, but it hasn\'t been yet.
    T
    I only could find the rough draft of the PSCS2, but here that is.
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/index.php...d=22&Itemid=34

Post edited by: tspore, at: 2005/09/05 14:29

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Slikypix english v2.003 is out as of sep 1st.
    The ma version would follow in the same week. My newsletters are in english by the way.
    If I can trust DPR, Silkypix is VERY good with olympus files. Much better than RSE colorwise, according to a lot of messages. Since I am also waiting for a Mac version, I only played a short while with the windows version, which was indeed very good. And fast.

I do however suspect it uses dcraw.c as RAW engine. And with this in mind, I really wonder why it is different from others, since they use the same engine.

personally I use Bibble, but this is because I used Bibble in my nikon days already. I am not yet 100% happy with the color rendition of Bibble for my Olympus files, but this might just be a configuration issue. Workflow wise, it is hard to switch once you know Bibble. I always find other workflows a bit slow and clumsy...

I don\'t have PS CS2 so I can\'t compare with that ACR. I don\'t think CS2 is worth the money compared to CS, so I rather wait for CS3..

I don\'t like the Olympus Studio workflow, however the results are very good (obviously).

In any case, Silkypix is an application which you should certainly try. Their english is so-so, but at least they\'re working on it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi David,
    (Love the Lense) Try Raw Developer from www.iridientdigital.com if you are a Mac user. It\'s free, has nice workflow and any applied adjustments preview so fast it\'s a joy.

You can batch process unlimited files applying the in camera settings so you can get usable images fast - about 15 seconds per 8mp E-300 image. You can then go back to individual images whilst it batches in the background and do the fine stuff.

As to output, see how it works for you but I tend to do all my fine tuning in PSCS where I actually understand whats going on with levels, curves, USM etc.

Like I say its free so why not. I\'d be interested to hear what you think if you try it. It\'s always nice to hear from someone who has actually used an app and knows what they are doing.

Russell
    EP-1, 14-42mm, FL36, Macs, PSCS, Realviz Stitcher.

tspore Guest

Russ,
    I like Raw Developer alot. It is a great program. I had a old article on-line about it. However, It is not free. It is free to try as far as I know. But not for ever.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Tony,
    You\'re completely right it was a free trial, I then coughed £39.50 once convinced. Very cheap for a decent bit of software though.

Russell
    EP-1, 14-42mm, FL36, Macs, PSCS, Realviz Stitcher.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi, I use Pixmantec, I\'m very satisfied with the results. LB)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I own Studio, PS CS2, CaptureOne LE, and have RSE. I have also tried SILKYPIX - the beta version that expired 09/01.

My opinion of my results are that Studio is definitely the best. Color from CaptureOne does come close. SILKYPIX has slightly more saturation than CaptureOne, but it can be toned down easily. Next comes ACR in PS, and RSE is at the bottom color-wise. Michael is supposed to be checking on the Oly RAW files to see if he and his staff can improve the colors. Hopefully he can and it will be incorporated when RawShooter Premium is released soon.

As far as detail within pictures, RSE has a slight lead over Studio and SILKYPIX, with CaptureOne being close and ACR lagging behind.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have Studio, RSE and PS CS. I have to say each has it\'s ups and downs and I am currently putting together an article on comparing these three. Anyone care to process an image for me using PSCS2, Capture One, Silky Pix or Bibble so I can add them to the article?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I would be willing to do CaptureOne and PS CS2 for you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi,

For my first post here....

I\'m not quite sure what you want to compare. I\'ve written about this on other forums, and one day I\'ll write a full article about it, but I strongly argue that preference comes down far more to usability issues than anything else (caveat, I\'m a usability professional, so maybe I\'m biased ). My workflow is this:

I use Studio to download and rename files - because Studio\'s EXIF based renaming is better than anything else.

I use C1 PRO to sort and process from RAW to 16 bit TIF in Adobe RGB

I use Adobe Bridge to set up batch jobs for \"default\" processing: capture sharpening using Photokit Sharpener, save as PSD with Layers for files <200 ISO, same but with preliminary pass through Noise Ninja with autoscan >400 ISO.

C1 is in my opinion the best RAW converter available on MacOS, for almost any camera. PhaseOne understand RAW very well, they are very experienced with Kodak sensors, and their software is extremely powerful and flexible. Adobe Camera RAW is definitely playing catch up. Studio is probably potentially very good, but the GUI is a jargon-ridden nightmare, clearly designed 100% by software engineers. It is also offers very little flexibility in settings, and has weird features such as offering E-1 users RAW engines optimised for the E-300. Why..... a question that often comes up with Studio.

But that\'s just me. Anyway, I do use ACR and Studio sometimes, if I\'m fine tuning an image. For example I use ACR for Infrared shots and the nice new HDR feature.

The point I wanted to make though was what are you trying to compare ? What is the reference ? If it is in camera JPG, forget it. They\'re not bad, but they\'re far from optimal - if you take that as the reference, why shoot RAW ? So what else ? A Studio \"default\" file ? Again, why shoot RAW if you\'re going for defaults ?

Studio might be somehow the most neutral at default settings, but it is just as well, considering the lack of flexibility it offers...

Well, that\'s quite a rant for a first post, but I just wanted to get it off my chest!

Cheers,

David Mantripp
    --
    David Mantripp, Lugano, Switzerland
    http://www.snowhenge.net

Thanks
    Feedback Score

OK tomorrow I will have more time and will post exactly what I need. Thanks for the offers so far.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have only used Adobe Camera Raw and Studio.
    I found Adobe just cannot get the red color right in an image, often making it look more pink.

Studio does a much better job all round, however, I don\'t like the lack of a feature to reduce vignetting, which sometimes occurs with my 50-200. Adobe has a great vignertting removal tool that studio is sorely missing? Studio also doesnt have as many functions but does give me the best overall result.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have used Silkypix for few months now and use it exclusively sometimes going directly to Qimage to print bypassing PSCS2 completely. I would be happy to develop an image in Silkypix.

Ed

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Do you guys want to use the picture of the Boy and girl, and also the pic of the red flower?
    OR do you have another idea?
    T

Thanks
    Feedback Score

OK here is my plan. Select two images (see below) and using each RAW converter process the images using NO adjustments at all. They do so again but this time adjustments are OK so that we get the best image BUT remember we are E series users so no major PP please. This should allow for minor adjustments to get the best image. Document everything you do to this image. Final PP can be done anywhere, PSCS, Paintshop pro etc.

All images will be sharpened using the same method - I will use PixelGenius Capture sharpening. Then we compare (I\'ll do an article).

Here are the images:

Do we need a third with blue/yellow in it? I don\'t have anything. Now as for the contributors, this should ideally be done by one person but I only have experience of Studio, PSCS and RSE. So I\'d like to have one other person do SilkyPix, Bibble, CaptureOne, PS CS2. Can any of you lot do these four?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I can do Bibble and Silkypix, but I need access to your RAW files

Post edited by: MarcoF, at: 2005/09/13 05:29

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have a colour chart somewhere. Let me check if I can find it today or tomorrow and I\'ll make an image of that as well. There\'ll be lots of colors in it, including nice gray tones.
    I\'ll also put the grey-white-black whibal charts in the photo, so I would suggest using the white/grey/black dropper tools of each convertor to create the correct image.. this way results _should_ be identical.. (guess what: it won\'t be)

ok?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you get the RAW files to me I will do CaptureOne and PS CS2.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

OK MarcoF and Kansas Ron, send me an email with your addresses. I will send you the two RAW files, I trust you will respect my copyright. Marco, if you can send us both the colour test shot as well that would be great.

email me at ian@fourthirdsphoto.com.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Okay, I have clubnight (photoclub, not \"clubbing\" ) tonight, so I will try to shoot the chart tomorrow evening (my time CEST). provided I can still find it in my messy archive...

Ian, I\'ll send you a mail after this message. Of course copyright will be respected. note, you may be better off sending them through yousendit.com since 10MB per RAW file is rather large...

Marco

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Or he could crop them down somewhat, eliminating unimportant area and reducing file size.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default colorspace

we should also agree which working colorspace to use..
    I propose sRGB to prevent any differences in colorspace conversions along the line, even though it may not be the best space, it is the easiest for this purpose.