Thread: Lens reviews

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Default Lens reviews

We are going to begin working on an extensive project, on lens reviews. I would like this to be a real world working and review. If you have any ideas please let me know.
    Thanks
    Tont

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re:Lens reviews

Actually, I would like to see the possibility of a \"user comparison\" possibility.
    What I mean is, publish test targets (I think there are a number around on the internet) and setup directions, so everyone can \"test\" their lens themselves.
    These results could then be compared with the \"professional grade\" tests you guys performed..

I thought about this whilst reading a lot about QC problems regarding the 14-54mm .. which I happen to have..

of course, you\'d have to perform the tests with both bodies: E1 and E300 to cover all users.. (and extend it with future body/lens combos, and test at a number of set mm/aperture combinations)... elaborate, but I think a real addition to the standard tests..

since we all know, there is always a variance in quality, this way, everyone can compare their own results (provided you use the same setup) with the results online, and see if theirs is better or worse..

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I like the idea. I\'d even go further and suggest that we create a detailed evaluation of every 4/3rd camera, lens and accessory. The goal would be to make this site \"the\" place for the best 4/3rds information.

Regarding lenses, I like the reviews that PhotoZone has done (http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html). If some of these tests are beyond our capabilities, then perhaps we could partner with someone like PhotoZone in this effort.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

FredMiranda.com has a very simple but effective, I think, gear review section. Photozone is good but at the same time it doesn\'t allow reviewer to comment his/her subjective evaluation/opinions. I like to hear what other users feel and his/her subjective likes/dislikes about a piece of equipment.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Wouldn\'t you be better off doing all lens reviews on the same camera/setup. That way the only variable becomes the lenses themselves?

Just a thought.

Cheers
    Wazza

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I like the photozone style of reviews, but i would like to see more \'user\' style reports besides all the imatest results, and also a RAW vs jpg comparison?...

oh and another cool project would be size comparison of the whole lineup with a few more \'famous\' lens like the nikon 70-200 vr, canon 100-400 f4-5.6 usm L etc...

Post edited by: hammer_400, at: 2005/09/12 04:18

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I like subjective commentary but only to a point. For example, one reviewer may praise the ergonomics of a camera while another reviewer condemns the same camera for being difficult to use. Too many reviews reflect the bias of the reviewer and/or publisher.

Whenever an opinion is offered in a review it needs sufficient explanation so the reader will understand the basis for the opinion. It seems to me that what is missing from many so-called \"reviews\" is objective hard data to back up the reviewer\'s analysis.

Why don\'t we establish some guidelines for reviews for this site. These guidelines can include a format that all reviewers should follow. For example:

[ol][li]Introduction – Briefly explain what is being reviewed.[/li]
    [li]Product Description – Briefly describe the product, its purpose and appearance. This would be a good place to include labelled photo(s).[/li]
    [li]Performance – Describe how the product was tested and provide the results of the tests. Where appropriate, compare the test results to the manufacturer specs.[/li]
    [li]Analysis – Explain the significance of the test results.[/li]
    [li]Opinion – Subjective opinion and recommendations with explanation.[/li]
    [li]Manufacturer Specs – Finally, conclude with a full listing of the manufacturer specs and/or links to more information.[/li][/ol]

What do you think?
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

i like it! !!!
    opinion is kept seperate from the objective data.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

a carefully crafted review format can provide an optimum balance b/w the objective v. subjective opinions.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The ideal situation would be to use the same camera for all of the lenses. This may not be practical (unless I can get some of the users to send me their lenses to test. LOL.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

I have been thinking a lot about these lens test.
    Here is what I came up with.
    #1 I am going to shoot it all with either 2 E-1\'s or 1 E-1 and E-300.
    #2 The test needs to include. Sharpness, Vignetting, And Distortion.
    #3 I don\'t know how I could set it up with CA test.... Any thoughts on this would be helpful.
    #4 But what I did was create a gird. The same image is placed in each cell. And each cell is marked for acruacy. I will compare each cell against the image shot from the 50mm.
    #5To keep the perspectives the same, I will go to 1\" per MM.
    #6 I think that it also should be per MM in 35mm. So it would really be 2\" per MM.
    #7 They will all be developed in Studio/Viewer. With the exact same settings.
    #8 Each lens will be shot wide open, stopped down 2-3 stops (I haven\'t made up my mind yet) and thn at 22F.
    #9 The lines with serve 2 purposes 1 to keep cells straight. And 2 to check for distortion.
    #10 The images of the block\'s will tell sharpness in each cell.
    #11 if any are darker/lighter then that will tell of Vignetting.
    A Cell:

The whole Grid:

BTW: the full size of this image is 32\"x40\" Which I reasoned would be more than enough for the shots.
    Comments Suggestions?
    I would also like someone(s) to help with the right up....
    This will contain all the practical info, such as size, weight, F stops etc.
    Any takers?
    T

Post edited by: tspore, at: 2005/09/24 02:10

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Tony,

The desire to create a standard way to evaluate a lens is great but the image cells of blocks seems so imprecise. Plus the blocks are so boring. I favor a more scientific system like Imatest (http://www.imatest.com). You can see a brand new review of the ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 at Photozone where they used the Imatest system (http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...2835/index.htm).

The Imatest system should help you evaluate all of the criteria you mentioned (sharpness, vignetting, distortion, color aberation, etc.). It is a software-based measurement system and costs only US$79. The only problem is that it is only available for MS Windows (if I remember correctly, you use a Mac). However, Imatest claims that their software will run on a Mac with a Windows emulator.

Have a look at Imatest and let us know what you think.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...